Starting Unt Qb

NCMeanGreen

Dodge assessed both his QB's play as "average" after the scrimmage. That isn't very encouraging. It reminds me of last year when no 1 QB would (or could) TAKE the starting role away from the other QBs.

Dodge assessed both his QB's play as "average" after the scrimmage. That isn't very encouraging. It reminds me of last year when no 1 QB would (or could) TAKE the starting role away from the other QBs.

Or maybe he did not want to give anything away, remember the stealth techniques. I mean if he is not going to publicly announce his pick until th ou game why would he tip his hand.

(Fans Press) "Gee Coach Dodge we know you plan to pick your QB after today's scrimmage so how did your QBs preform?"

(THEfakeTD) "Dang it guys I told y'all that I would not publicly announce the Starting QB, But with that said Vizza is the real deal, my god that kid can handle himself. Holy-cow Gio does everything I ask and better than my expectations"

(Fans Press) "How about Meager?"

(THEfakeTD) "Meager who? Was there anything else you wanted to know about Vizza?"

Guest GrayEagleOne

I love it. It's the best way NOT to tip your hand on who will start or if either is any good. OU will have to adjust as the game wears on with little preconceived idea of where our strengths and vulnerability are. Not that we can beat them, but it sure might make the game a lot closer.

I hear what y'all are saying. It is a really no win situation for Coach Dodge when you have a bunch of crazed fans that want answers now. I also understand that Dodge has his own agenda and will do what is best for the team. However, his public statements that his QBs were "average" is big concern. First, I thought Dodge might be using that as a motivational tool, but then re-thought that b/c Dodge is much more sophisticated than having to resort to negative public tactics to motivate QBs. In the end, I believe the "average" comment was stated b/c Dodge is very concerned about the QB position.

I hear what y'all are saying. It is a really no win situation for Coach Dodge when you have a bunch of crazed fans that want answers now. I also understand that Dodge has his own agenda and will do what is best for the team. However, his public statements that his QBs were "average" is big concern. First, I thought Dodge might be using that as a motivational tool, but then re-thought that b/c Dodge is much more sophisticated than having to resort to negative public tactics to motivate QBs. In the end, I believe the "average" comment was stated b/c Dodge is very concerned about the QB position.

On the bright side, Dodge has said he has been impressed with both Vizza and Meager, and I think this is the first average comment I have heard. Maybe this was just a bad day where heat and fatigue had its first opportunity to set in.

Here are my questions...

1) it seems like every scrimmage Meager has been the first one in...can't tell you if that means something, but it may

2) I have heard that in yesterday's scrimmage Meager got the majority of the reps with the first unit...not Vizza, can't tell you if that means something, but it may

3) It seems hard for some, beat writer, esteemed posters on this board, to contemplate Dodge starting a freshman in OU, can't tell you if that means something, but it may

4) NOW this is the BIG QUESTION...if Meager starts, Dodge has said over and over that once a starter is named, they WOULD NOT HAVE TO LOOK OVER THEIR SHOULDER...THEY WOULD BE THE MAN.

#4 Leads me personally to belive that if it is Meager, be ready to only see Meager, Vizza won't see a lot of time unless the score is lopsided. You MIGHT even see Vizza resdhirt. I really don't know if I buy into that, but wouldn't come to me as a HUGE surprise.

I simply took the "average" comment to mean how they performed at that scrimmage only. The team has been working hard and could have had an off day, including Don Giovanni Vizza and Meager. Let's not read any more into the "average" comment.

Perhaps another question is: What is "average"? Average in a DD system is one thing. Average in a TD system is quite another.

Meager starts as QB against OU but Vizza finishes the year.

With Coach Dodge's offense it appears that he wants his QBs to get the ball in the hands of playmakers ASAP and not have the QB's scramble on broken plays. Naturally, Meager would benefit from not experiencing so many concussions throughout the year.

No matter which QB Coach Dodge chooses to start it will be the right choice and we should stand in unison with the Coach, the team and the QB. Remember, there are three former QBs as coaches on the UNT staff and they as a whole have "a great deal" more insight than us based upon working with the player, watching the practice films and as Jimmy "The Greek" once said the intangibles.

Heck, if PMG had one year of eligibility remaining and was secretly working out with the team and Coach Dodge picked him to start against OU that would be acceptable to me just as much as if the Coach picked www.woody.wilson.beat.the.stangs.com or Tune or Meager or Vizza.

My point is that whoever Coach Dodge selects will be the right choice.

Why? Do you plan on Meager getting hurt? Dodge has said whoever starts is the starter for the season.

I think he is implying there may not be enough time for Vizza to catch Meager before the season starts but perhaps by later on. Vizza has only had two weeks at the college level and has already passed Tune, Phillips, and WW on the depth chart. We should know who the starter will be by seeing who is with the first team in practice this week.

I can speculate with the worst of them so here it goes:

Meager is a veteran, like him or not. He is four years older than GV. He should be way ahead of the freshman after going through all of spring ball and having college experience. BUT, apparently, he is not ahead of this "kid" that is just beginning to learn and understand the college game. That surprises me some but then again, this kid, is not your average college freshman.

What's really going on inside the program as far as the intangibles is really the key component that nobody knows except Dodge and the team. Leadership, mental fortitude, heart, character, etc. are the unknowns that TD has to have in his equation.

There are several other things in the equation, imo. that TD has to be considering in the back of his mind. I believe he has to considering what would happen to Meager's mental state if he starts Vizza. How fragile is Meager (mentally) if he doesn't get the start.

You know that the Vizza is in a no lose situation being first or second team. But what about the Meager? How does the team respond to starting a true freshman, especially the seniors?

Vizza is the future, no doubt, is it now? I am glad I am not Todd Dodge who has to answer that question.

Why? Do you plan on Meager getting hurt? Dodge has said whoever starts is the starter for the season.

When did he say that????? He said the starter would not have to look over his shoulder in the game. But a change was possible if the QB wasn't gettng the job done.

#4 Leads me personally to belive that if it is Meager, be ready to only see Meager, Vizza won't see a lot of time unless the score is lopsided. You MIGHT even see Vizza resdhirt. I really don't know if I buy into that, but wouldn't come to me as a HUGE surprise.

Don't get carried away. After a game or two of Meager starting (and it sucks 'cause I really wanted to win the SMU game) Vizza will be on the field anyway.

UNTflyer,

What I meant about Meager starting the season and Vizza finishing the season is Meager departing games with concussions.

Perhaps PMG, GreyEagle, Buford Julep or someone who has seen games over the last 30-40 years remember one of NT's QBs who have had as many concussions as Meager?? I do not remember, specifically, any one of our past QBs who have had as many concussions as DM and I have only seen games since '66. My question, like others, is DM (if selected as the starter) going to physically hold up to the regular punishment a QB receives during the game or games without sustaining another concussion(s)? We all do not want to see DM receive concussions that would impede him for the remainder of his life, physically or mentally.

The other point being made is that Meager is older and has more college football experience than Vizza. Coaches will say the only difference between high school, college and the pros is the speed of the game.

Vizza appears he is adapting quickly to the speed of the game from various reports of practices and may see "mop up" duty in the OU game.....and I hope so because I would like to see the kid play.

Edited by eulesseagle

Just my opinion....If a kid fresh out of high school is "neck-and-neck" with the experienced guy, I'd go with the Freshman. Vizza's been practicing with team for 2 weeks not 2 years. Give him the experience and let him continue to grow. That being said, I trust Dodge to judge a QB a heck of a lot better than me.

Edited by Mad Hatter

Don't get carried away. After a game or two of Meager starting (and it sucks 'cause I really wanted to win the SMU game) Vizza will be on the field anyway.

I am already a fan of the paranthetical phrase anyways...but when it brings the substance as this one...man...thats great.

When did he say that????? He said the starter would not have to look over his shoulder in the game. But a change was possible if the QB wasn't gettng the job done.

I took his quotes a couple of days ago to be just what you said. He would name a starter and if he played well, then he would be starting. If he wasn't getting the job done, then it would be back open.

I don't think it will take more than one game for Meager to not be starting. I haven't really seen much that leads me to believe that he will, and when you throw in him getting hit a couple of times pretty hard, with the history of concussions he has had, injury just might get him.

Just my opinion....If a kid fresh out of high school is "neck-and-neck" with the experienced guy, I'd go with the Freshman. Vizza's been practicing with team for 2 weeks not 2 years. Give him the experience and let him continue to grow. That being said, I trust Dodge to judge a QB a heck of a lot better than me.

I have thought that since the day I learned they were "neck and neck". I'd go with the freshman myself.

I thought long and hard on the QB situation. I came the same decision. Meager and Vizza should NOT be neck and neck. If Meager can't pull ahead of a true freshman, than put Vizza in.

I thought long and hard on the QB situation. I came the same decision. Meager and Vizza should NOT be neck and neck. If Meager can't pull ahead of a true freshman, than put Vizza in.

I agree with you.

If Meager can't separate himself from a True Freshman, then he should not be the starter. We are in for a long year, might as well let the young pup take his lumps.