Drc Blog...answering The Mail

FirefightnRick

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

August 17, 2007

Answering the mail

I received a bunch of good questions on the blog and in e-mail today. Here is my take on what is going on in UNT land.

Rick wanted to know how Jesse DeSoto, Justin Padron and Kyle Russo look in practice. Head coach Todd Dodge singled out DeSoto as one of the players he will be looking at during Saturday's scrimmage to determine if he can contribute this season. The freshman defensive lineman could have a chance to play right away, but I see Padron and Russo as redshirt candidates. Padron is buried behind a host of good linebackers. UNT does not have as many proven defensive ends, but the development of Charlie Brown makes it more likely that Russo will also redshirt.

Don had a similar question about the status of Bryant Seidle now that he has moved to linebacker. Seidle is one of those players who got caught up in the change in the Mean Green's offense. I thought Seidle was a star in the making at tight end. He could end up being a pretty good linebacker, but there are too many proven players in front of him at this point.

A mystery guest asked about Sam Roberson, the wide receiver from Somerville. I like Roberson's potential and he appears as if he has a chance to make the top six at wide receiver, but it will be close. UNT has a lot of good young receivers and I wonder if UNT might not be better off redshirting Roberson this season.

Joe was wondering about the men's basketball schedule in the wake of the news that UNT signed power forward Kedrick Hogans. The schedule is pretty much done. It is a matter of getting the last couple of games in place. I would be surprised if it isn't out in the next couple of days.