Carroll Qb On Ea Player Of The Year List

GreenBat

Carroll QB on EA Player of the Year list

Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007

Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge is one of nine top candidates on the EA Sports National Player of the Year watch list, which was released today. Dodge, who has committed to North Texas, is the reigning Associated Press Class 5A Offensive Player of the Year and one of two Texans among the leaders. Katy running back Aundre Dean (UCLA) is also on the list.

Yeah, national media coverage is nice. But without wide open access for DMN's coverage we'll never have an improvement at UNT in recruiting, attendance at charmless Fouts Field and fundraising for a new stadium! ;)

I hope that is a joke!

Yeah, national media coverage is nice. But without wide open access for DMN's coverage we'll never have an improvement at UNT in recruiting, attendance at charmless Fouts Field and fundraising for a new stadium! ;)

Athletic fundraisers at Oklahoma State made the "All World Inter-Collegiate Fundraising" team when one man with the letter T. in front of the rest of his name came forward with a, uh, Big Donation. Most progressive football programs at the NCAA D1-A level have all had similar donors (and I'm talking about those who give more than $1 million).

In light of the last 25 years, it is very understandable why we have those who think this program is only worth a 30,000 seat stadium in Denton even in this new millineum of boom growth all around our main campus and all this happening in Denton, Texas, America, where many of us have called home at some point in our lives.

Maybe its just in the drinking water that causes some of our best fans to most always gravitate to that small time thinking mode. Yet only those who would actually have no plans of being at UNT or around Denton, Texas, America, in 10 or more years would even think of pursueing for our school a stadium smaller than our present one, especially for the fact that our school (still) has has 6 million citizens (who ain't going nowhere else soon) living near or within one hour of Fouts Field, our most venerable and highly visible stadium that has now for over half a century created for our school much in the area of negative perceptions from all those numerous DFW'ers most of us have worked around in the DFW workplace for decades. NOTE: You who will graduate from UNT & choose to stay in DFW for your careers, will all one day see what many of us Older Nestors mean as long as Fouts Field still has a place on our campus map.

BUT.............just build the darn thing the right size now or just wait till we have leaders from top to bottom who are true visionaries; that is, those who will look beyond their own personal agendas of which a new stadium of most any size (even smaller than 30K) would unfortunately satisfy for what its worth.

Folks, there are reasons we still had only 15,000 per home game averages (even during 4 bowl years) and those we never, never, never see anymore from past decades who merely just chose to not support what their perceptions of NT athletic's direction has been all about to them and.................Small Timer's-Style stinkin' thinkin' is at the very top of their list. And if you want proof of that-- just ask most of that group of who live in and around the Metroplex because they'll tell you most the time what has kept their seats empty at Fouts Field.

What we need to happen at the University of North Texas still transcends the hiring of one person, even if that person is Todd Dodge.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We'll get some media from it. Just as I'm reading this thread I'm listening to the TV sports in the next room and I hear a mention. Channel 11 sports just had a segment on SLC practicing in pads for the first time today with a mention about "future North Texas quarterback Riley Dodge....who is very accurate....".

Edited by NT80

I ignored this thread for most of the day because I saw "EA" mentioned and thought this was about a generic SLC QB winning some sort of award on a video game. :D

With Rodge getting this much publicity and recognition, we can just forget about any other QB even contemplating a visit to UNT for the next four years!! GreenBat, I'll save you the time and effort from typing the question...yes, I was being facetious. :P

Hey, I have a great idea! Let's turn this thread into a discussion about how we should really build a 45,000 seat stadium!

Merely responding to the subject as posted by jimmyjames_99; but (still) give yourself another 30 years of what Small Time thinking has given us, UNTflyer and then (and only then) will you understand the frustration of a few past generations most of whom have completely disappeared from our alma mater and specifically, its athletic program.

Todd Dodge will not be long for Denton with what you have said is UNT's (already made decision) to build a 30K seat stadium. Can you link the article where you saw an actual statement made on the 30K seat stadium decision (and who was it that made that quote)? Thanks in advance...

I would remind you that Boise State has a 30k seat stadium with a track. It's butt ugly just like Fouts, but they sell it out every game. Heck, they even host a bowl game.

Our attendance or the perception of UNT being "small-time" has nothing to do with our stadium. It has everything to do with the fact that... well, we ARE a small-time program. And no stadium, no matter how big, is going to change that. Only winning will change that.

I would remind you that Boise State has a 30k seat stadium with a track. It's butt ugly just like Fouts, but they sell it out every game. Heck, they even host a bowl game.

Our attendance or the perception of UNT being "small-time" has nothing to do with our stadium. It has everything to do with the fact that... well, we ARE a small-time program. And no stadium, no matter how big, is going to change that. Only winning will change that.

A Mexican stand-off here? :)

UNT is like a piglet whose mama pig has 10 teats and we are on hind teat #10 trying to make some headway to go forward on the teat chain (if you will). :blink: . (10, of course, represents the 10 D1-A schools that have to co-exist with each other in the Lone Star State).

I'm just saying a 30,000 seater will keep us on that hind teat in the geographical area our school (unfortunately) is located and with all our fellow Texas D1-A schools we have to compete. Sorta' why I "suggested" in the below signature that UNT may most always have to do extra to make some semblance of headway with the other 9 Texas D1-A schools?

FWIW.............and IMHO...............this is the kind of stark simplicity of a scenario that we have been stumbling all over ourselves for the 4 decades I've been around as an alum. A 30,000 seater may just be all we can afford, but if we can do more, a school like UNT needs to do more because of all the company we have to keep here in the Lone Star State. Boise State and UNT's athletic situaitons are apples and oranges. Boise State doesn't have 9 other D1-A schools in their state, so they can probably get by (for now) with a 30,000 seat stadium. I will say their stadium is much nicer than Fouts Field blue football field and all.

We will just stay on hind teat if we build a smaller stadium than Fouts Field. It's just all seems pretty elementary. UNT must have top leadeers who are visionaries because we will be stuck (good or bad) with what our present hired UNT employees give us (but they still have the option of moving on while we do not, now do we)? :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen