No Respect From Zero U

GreenBat

Still no answer about QB after Oklahoma scrimmage

05:39 PM CDT on Saturday, August 11, 2007

Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. – Oklahoma's season opener is just three weeks away, but the Sooners' three-man competition at quarterback remains undecided, coaches said Saturday.

Oklahoma held its initial preseason scrimmage on Saturday, with the three quarterback candidates – junior Joey Halzle, redshirt freshman Sam Bradford and true freshman Keith Nichol – each leading the Sooners on one scoring drive.

Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said Sunday will be the first opportunity since preseason practice started for the Sooners' coaching staff to discuss the quarterback situation at length.

He hinted it's possible that the final decision on a starter might not be made until after the season starts. Oklahoma will open on Sept. 1 at home against North Texas and will host Miami a week later.

"I wish it would be settled and done right this second, personally, for all positions," Wilson said. "But at the same time, we're going to need more than one....Maybe we go with two.

"We're through the first (week) and through a scrimmage. Maybe, from what we've seen in practice and today, maybe we can get close to making that call...or (decide that) we're five, six, eight, 10 days away."

Of the three candidates, only Halzle has any game experience at Oklahoma, having made mop-up appearances last season in wins over Middle Tennessee and Iowa State and completed 1-of-2 passes for 15 yards.

Bradford, who last played at Putnam City North High School in Oklahoma City, worked last season on the Sooners' scout team, while Nichol arrived in January after graduating early from his Michigan high school.

On Saturday, with temperatures climbing into the low 90s during the scrimmage, Bradford started and led the Sooners' offense on seven series. Nichols followed and also played seven series, while Halzle led Oklahoma on six series.

Wilson said the order of appearance wasn't significant, as all three quarterbacks worked with both the first- and second-team units.

Bradford finished 11-of-18 passing for 83 yards and threw an interception. The offense scored on his final series on a 53-yard touchdown run by Jacob Gutierrez.

Nichol went 8-of-16 for 51 yards, including a 3-yard touchdown pass to Manuel Johnson, while Halzle was 12-of-21 for 85 yards, including a 20-yard scoring toss to junior wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who leapt high above a defensive back to catch the football.

The quarterbacks received few opportunities to throw deep passes as coaches opted more for short- and medium-length pass plays.

"It's obvious that our quarterbacks can make all the throws," Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said. "They did a really nice job. I didn't see any forced decisions. The drives that stalled didn't stop because of their play. The players around them have to make plays."

Oklahoma officials did not allow reporters to speak with any of the three quarterbacks after the scrimmage.

The Sooners are expected to be in the national preseason top 10 in spite of the quarterback uncertainty, largely because they have experience at most every other offensive position.

Whoever wins the quarterback job, Kelly said, will have "a security blanket, knowing that everybody around him has played football and made a boatload of plays. That will make the job a lot easier."

Allen Patrick, projected to be the Sooners' starting tailback, missed the scrimmage with a right ankle sprain suffered earlier in the week. Patrick's ankle remains in a cast and he walked on crutches Saturday, but Stoops said the injury isn't as bad as a sprained ankle Patrick suffered last season that kept him out of two games.

Defensive back Reggie Smith, the preseason Big 12 Conference defensive player of the year, and starting offensive lineman Branndon Braxton also sat out with what Stoops termed as minor injuries.

Oklahoma State also planned to hold its first preseason scrimmage on Saturday, but the Cowboys' session was closed to the public.

Still no answer about QB after Oklahoma scrimmage

05:39 PM CDT on Saturday, August 11, 2007

Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. – Oklahoma's season opener is just three weeks away, but the Sooners' three-man competition at quarterback remains undecided, coaches said Saturday.

Oklahoma held its initial preseason scrimmage on Saturday, with the three quarterback candidates – junior Joey Halzle, redshirt freshman Sam Bradford and true freshman Keith Nichol – each leading the Sooners on one scoring drive.

Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said Sunday will be the first opportunity since preseason practice started for the Sooners' coaching staff to discuss the quarterback situation at length.

He hinted it's possible that the final decision on a starter might not be made until after the season starts. Oklahoma will open on Sept. 1 at home against North Texas and will host Miami a week later.

"I wish it would be settled and done right this second, personally, for all positions," Wilson said. "But at the same time, we're going to need more than one....Maybe we go with two.

"We're through the first (week) and through a scrimmage. Maybe, from what we've seen in practice and today, maybe we can get close to making that call...or (decide that) we're five, six, eight, 10 days away."

Of the three candidates, only Halzle has any game experience at Oklahoma, having made mop-up appearances last season in wins over Middle Tennessee and Iowa State and completed 1-of-2 passes for 15 yards.

Bradford, who last played at Putnam City North High School in Oklahoma City, worked last season on the Sooners' scout team, while Nichol arrived in January after graduating early from his Michigan high school.

On Saturday, with temperatures climbing into the low 90s during the scrimmage, Bradford started and led the Sooners' offense on seven series. Nichols followed and also played seven series, while Halzle led Oklahoma on six series.

Wilson said the order of appearance wasn't significant, as all three quarterbacks worked with both the first- and second-team units.

Bradford finished 11-of-18 passing for 83 yards and threw an interception. The offense scored on his final series on a 53-yard touchdown run by Jacob Gutierrez.

Nichol went 8-of-16 for 51 yards, including a 3-yard touchdown pass to Manuel Johnson, while Halzle was 12-of-21 for 85 yards, including a 20-yard scoring toss to junior wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who leapt high above a defensive back to catch the football.

The quarterbacks received few opportunities to throw deep passes as coaches opted more for short- and medium-length pass plays.

"It's obvious that our quarterbacks can make all the throws," Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops said. "They did a really nice job. I didn't see any forced decisions. The drives that stalled didn't stop because of their play. The players around them have to make plays."

Oklahoma officials did not allow reporters to speak with any of the three quarterbacks after the scrimmage.

The Sooners are expected to be in the national preseason top 10 in spite of the quarterback uncertainty, largely because they have experience at most every other offensive position.

Whoever wins the quarterback job, Kelly said, will have "a security blanket, knowing that everybody around him has played football and made a boatload of plays. That will make the job a lot easier."

Allen Patrick, projected to be the Sooners' starting tailback, missed the scrimmage with a right ankle sprain suffered earlier in the week. Patrick's ankle remains in a cast and he walked on crutches Saturday, but Stoops said the injury isn't as bad as a sprained ankle Patrick suffered last season that kept him out of two games.

Defensive back Reggie Smith, the preseason Big 12 Conference defensive player of the year, and starting offensive lineman Branndon Braxton also sat out with what Stoops termed as minor injuries.

Oklahoma State also planned to hold its first preseason scrimmage on Saturday, but the Cowboys' session was closed to the public.

I guess I missed the dis on NT. I think they just want to see how their QB's play in a game to decide on the starter.

I guess I missed the dis on NT. I think they just want to see how their QB's play in a game to decide on the starter.

I agree. I don't see the disrespect. Remember, respect is not something that is demanded. True respect is only earned. Based on the past 2 years of super crappy football, I see no reason for OU to respect us in any way.

Edited by chrisfisher

I agree. I don't see the disrespect. Remember, respect is not something that is demanded. True respect is only earned. Based on the past 2 years of super crappy football, I see no reason for OU to respect us in any way.

I concur. Let the Sooners muddle their way through practice and use us as a scrimmage for their All-American Red Shirt Freshman 3rd stringer team. Give their two-deep a rest so that they can get into another Big XII title game in good health.

mr%20burns.jpg

Eeeexcellent! The pig-farmers of Oklahoma have fallen right into my trap! Release the hounds!