Qb Race

meangreen2018

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping for Vizza as well. I've seen enough of Meager. He will be hurt by the 4th game anyway. Might as well start the young guy and get him some experience. He seems to have a good understanding of the offensive scheme.

Did Scott Hall start his Freshman year?

Let's all hope the best QB starts, who whould want it any other way ?

Who the best QB might be is usually an opinion. We have not had the luxury of someone seperating themselves as the clear "best" choice. Let's hope Meager or Vizza or whoever makes it totally obvious who the best choice is.

I want the QB starter to be the winner of the QB battle, be it Woody Wilson, Danny Meager, Gio Vizza, Nathan Tune, Matt Phillips or Tye Rexrod. I want the man Dodge decides on. I trust in Dodge as I'm sure emmitt01 and Dodge2007 do. And will cheer loudly for them no matter who it is, as I'm sure emmitt01 and Dodge2007 will, no matter who the starter ends up being.

I, too, want the best QB to win. However, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm pulling for Vizza to be that man. Why?? Simply because I've already seen Meager for the last two years and I've been extremely disappointed in almost every aspect of his game. I know everyone will reply with excuses about how the previous regime did not do a good job of coaching Meager and, therefore, we never saw his true potential. That may or may not be true. It may also be true that Meager "skills" may have been underutilized in DD's system.

I know what I saw of Meager and I have my own opinion of what he is (and is not) capable of accomplishing. It will take a lot to win back my confidence (sort of like when you catch someone you trust lying to you). Lucky for Meager, my confidence in him has nothing whatsoever to do with his ability to win the starting job. However, I do have confidence in Todd Dodge and I do trust that he will start the best QB for his system and that QB will give the team the best opportunity to win. That being said, if Meager is named the starting QB over Vizza and remains the starter throughout the season, then I'll go ahead and predict that Riley Dodge will be the starter for the next four years.

I, too, want the best QB to win. However, I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm pulling for Vizza to be that man. Why?? Simply because I've already seen Meager for the last two years and I've been extremely disappointed in almost every aspect of his game. I know everyone will reply with excuses about how the previous regime did not do a good job of coaching Meager and, therefore, we never saw his true potential. That may or may not be true. It may also be true that Meager "skills" may have been underutilized in DD's system.

I know what I saw of Meager and I have my own opinion of what he is (and is not) capable of accomplishing. It will take a lot to win back my confidence (sort of like when you catch someone you trust lying to you). Lucky for Meager, my confidence in him has nothing whatsoever to do with his ability to win the starting job. However, I do have confidence in Todd Dodge and I do trust that he will start the best QB for his system and that QB will give the team the best opportunity to win. That being said, if Meager is named the starting QB over Vizza and remains the starter throughout the season, then I'll go ahead and predict that Riley Dodge will be the starter for the next four years.

My thoughts exactly. I'm with you 100%.

Everyone needs to stop fooling themselves.....Daniel Meager sucks. Giovanni or bust.

See, I think any downfall of our previous QB doesnt have to do so much with talent (or lackthereof) as it did with poor coaching last season. Meager could really shine under Dodge, ya never know.

See, I think any downfall of our previous QB doesnt have to do so much with talent (or lackthereof) as it did with poor coaching last season. Meager could really shine under Dodge, ya never know.

Poor decision making backed by even poorer throws, say what you want about the coaching. He was RF's recruit, which in my opinion, is why he started. I think Phillips has more talent than Meager. More proof is that he had a guy that catches everything within 10 yards of him (Quinn), and still couldn't produce.

I agree, Meager was not very good over the last two years. That system would not display a qb's true potential. I did not like Meager under DD, but this system could unveil talents we've yet to see out of him. Dodge will make a fair assessment. Vizza has the potential to be great, but he is young and needs some time to further develop. I believe Riley WILL be redshirted to give him more time to develop. Meager this year. Vizza next year. Vizza V. Riley in three.

Poor decision making backed by even poorer throws, say what you want about the coaching. He was RF's recruit, which in my opinion, is why he started. I think Phillips has more talent than Meager. More proof is that he had a guy that catches everything within 10 yards of him (Quinn), and still couldn't produce.

wow

If and when Giovanni Vizza gets on the field, it will tough to get him off. He is a tough ass competitior. I have to admit he has the whole package for such a young age.

I think the players are responding to his style of play and has the certain something that makes him a winner. I never thought it would be this close of a duel since he is new to the college speed and game.

If and when Giovanni Vizza gets on the field, it will tough to get him off. He is a tough ass competitior. I have to admit he has the whole package for such a young age.

I think the players are responding to his style of play and has the certain something that makes him a winner. I never thought it would be this close of a duel since he is new to the college speed and game.

Some guys just have a nose for the game. From all the reports, it sounds like Vizza is the type that responds to the crowds and the pressure. He sure looked good in the state championship game. San Antonio Alamo Heights pulls in some pretty good crowds at their games. He is used to playing in front of a full house.

I agree, Meager was not very good over the last two years. That system would not display a qb's true potential. I did not like Meager under DD, but this system could unveil talents we've yet to see out of him.

I knew this kind of talk would surface in this thread. Let me ask one question; when was a QB in DD's system ever asked to 'carry the team on his shoulders'? Sorry, but I need to ask a second question; when was a QB in DD's system asked to do much more than hand the ball off and make a few short, accurate passes and attempt to complete a couple of long passes in a game?

My point is that DD's system required very minimal passing skills from the QB. Last year, we averaged 21 pass attempts per game...and we were playing from behind most of the time. In three games, we only attempted 16 passes, one game was 17, one was 18 and one was 11. Now, will the argument be that Meager needs more pass attempts to get in a 'groove' or to get warmed up?? Sorry...but this isn't baseball. You don't get warm up throws before each offensive series and it doesn't count if you catch the ball after it bounces.

If Meager is our starter the entire year, then my opinion of Vizza just went down the toilet.