Excerpts From Fw*telegram Article Not On Web Site

OldTimer

I was there. I was not admitted and I didnt get mad. Coach Dodge had warned that not all practices would be open to veiw and this just happened to be one of them. I stood in the back of a pickup and watch over the fence. (With some of the distances from the field at Fouts, I was closer than some that were in the stands.)

A parent that was allowed to go inside asked me if I was angry that I couldnt go inside. I told him "No, I am glad we atr least think we have something going onto the field that we dont want anyone else to see." After all, they have already seen our draw plays.

Among all of the positives that are happening to our program, a possible mistake or error occurs and it takes center stage. It seems that we've always got some type of crisis or perceived crisis brewing. ;) Hope TD can get use to the nature of the beast (UNT).

It's not really a crisis, it's more just trying to get everyone on the same page communication-wise. For one, I think NT fans were for many years used to unrestricted viewing; what was there ever to hide from the ~20 fans that showed up in the past to a practice? And two, these are a new stable of coaches that may have some adjustments to the college level and how to relay their desires to fans while being wary of opponent's. Chalk it up to a misunderstanding on the honeymoon.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Isn't the media that posts the practice schedule and not the coaches?

Isn't there a sign on every side of the practice fields saying practice is closed the media and visitors?

Wasn't it posted here and on meangreensports.com that the scrimmage would be closed to the public?

Weren't there people on this board that ignored the closing and stated they would go anyway?

I don't see a problem with the coaching staff, I see the problem with the media and visitors. If practice is closed, it is closed, don't expect it to be open until they state it to be open. Wait for a coach's confirmation. You want to watch some dodgeball that bad? Watch the spring game until your eyes dry out or load up on OU tickets. Don't take your inability to respect the rules out on Coach Dodge.

"Do you know what Al Goldfield looks like? Jim McInvale? Denny Kalk? Curtis Clinesmith? I've spoken to three of the four at randon practices and scrimmages in blue jeans, t shirts and old ball caps. Could you pick them out of a crowd? Most couldn't, and possibly neither of those policing the stands could either."

Rick, I am glad you can pick these folks out in a crowd. But to expect people to automatically know who you are because you have a lot of money (or not) doesn't really seem fair. This is America, and there are many many rich folks and donors.

I think maybe this whole deal is getting blown out of proportion by what NT80 posted earlier. Those who have the means ($$$) to see practice will see practice one way or another. If that means contacting RV before going, then that is what they must do. But to expect someone running security to automatically recognize your face at the first scrimmage of the year under a new coaching staff is somewhat pompous.

I disagree with flyer though, those who give big to this program should have a more lenient policy, but to not expect to get turned away from a closed practice is a little crazy, especially when it is posted on the official athletics website before hand.

especially when it is posted on the official athletics website before hand.

the ticket office at 4pm friday said it was open to the public. at 6pm friday the athletic site posted it was closed to the public due to construction. there was no active construction on saturday. the bouncer said the scrimmage time was never posted for the public .. must not read the drc. fine, close it to the public, but say it well in advance and don't lie about the reason and who only can get in when others are let in.

Having a closed practice is not big deal. Coaches have closed practices all the time. The TCU coach closed some practices last summer after some infomation appeared on the Horned Frog message board that he felt was too detailed. No big deal. A few days later the practices were opened again. The problem comes when you have a "closed" practice then admit some special people. It can be a bigger problem when the newspaper reporter that covers the team is kept out and others are admitted. I heard it said that you don't want to pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel. RV needs to be sure that we don't turn a little problem into a big one. One telephone call to the reporter would probably do it.

Having a closed practice is not big deal. Coaches have closed practices all the time. The TCU coach closed some practices last summer after some infomation appeared on the Horned Frog message board that he felt was too detailed. No big deal. A few days later the practices were opened again. The problem comes when you have a "closed" practice then admit some special people. It can be a bigger problem when the newspaper reporter that covers the team is kept out and others are admitted. I heard it said that you don't want to pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel. RV needs to be sure that we don't turn a little problem into a big one. One telephone call to the reporter would probably do it.

So what you are selling is Penis Mightiers?