Drc Vitto Blog On Ryan Mccoy..

OldTimer

August 10, 2007

Breaking news -- Ryan McCoy out at UNT

Ok, so it's not really breaking news. The rumors have been around for weeks, but UNT head coach Johnny Jones went on record on Friday and said that Midland College transfer Ryan McCoy will not play for the Mean Green this season after failing to meet eligibility requirements.

McCoy was expected to back up starting point guard Ben Bell this season.

Be sure to pick up a copy of tomorrow's Denton Record-Chronicle to hear what Jones had to say about the loss of McCoy and why he thinks the Mean Green is still in good position at point guard for next season.

McCoy was a three star recruit. I believe his failure to qualify will hurt the team. Last year, Curtis Muse and now McCoy didn't qualify. NT will probably still be better at point than last year but this puts the squad at only 11 scholarship players versus the maximum of 13 unless there are additions for this year which doesn't seem likely. I hope the freshman White is over his injury problems and that JJ gets some major commits in the early period.

Edited by GrandGreen

McCoy was a three star recruit. I believe his failure to qualify will hurt the team. Last year, Curtis Muse and now McCoy didn't qualify. NT will probably still be better at point than last year but this puts the squad at only 11 scholarship players versus the maximum of 13 unless there are additions for this year which doesn't seem likely. I hope the freshman White is over his injury problems and that JJ gets some major commits in the early period.

In effect, we have just 10 scholarship players as transfer George "O" must sit out a year. Ten players are plenty, if there are no major injuries, suspensions or academic casualties. Knock on wood.

Depth for practices could also be a problem. As for last season's walk-ons, Jared Ruffin has graduated, Andrew Reinking is not listed on the roster and Chris Higgs had off-season back surgery. With just 11 scholarship players available for practice, it is important to have walk-ons capable of impersonating D-1 players.

Well...time to make assesment of what we a sure we will have next season in the backcourt. We essentially start 3 guards...a point and two wings...and ideally you have two players behind them, one capable of playing the point, the other at the 2,3. I think the only person we know for sure will be starting is Ben Bell. I would look for Ben to look to score a bit more this coming season...10ppg, 5apg woud be very nice. I think the other two starters will be determined once JJ knows how ready Josh White is to handle the back-up role at the point. If White is ready...I'd say Collin Dennis is a lock to start at the 2. However Dennis seems to be the only wing capable of sliding to the point for any extended period of time, and if White is in over his head I'd look for Dennis to fill a similar role to what Michael Sturns did last year...only more competantly.

Lets run on the assumption White is ready: start Collin Mangrum at the 3...at best with Dennis starting your 3 is a fourth scoring option (Wooden, Williams, Dennis) and hopefully fifth option (Bell). Mangrum seems to be at best a complimentary scorer anyways, and should exert most of his energy on the defensive end in this type of line-up. McCoy and Thompson are scorers who would benefit seeing minutes as more primary threats. White sees about 10-15 minutes in reserve at the point...with up to 20 minutes available for either McCoy or Thompson...also TT may be big enough to slide over and play the 4 the way Rich Young did last season for 3-5 minutes in a small lineup.

White isn't ready: start McCoy and Thompson. I don't believe either of these players are capable of being the consistant primary threat you would get with Dennis starting at the 2...so starting Mangrum wouldn't be as beneficial. Basically in starting these two you're hoping one get go off for 12-15 as the defense keys on the other...I don't think you'd be able to shut both down...especially not with our frontcourt. Dennis works in for about 25-30 minutes per game, 10-15 of those at the point...Mangrum sees 10-15 spelling TT and McCoy and White plays sparingly.

I think this is a key loss...I said it before and I firmly believe it...WE BEAT MEMPHIS WITH LIONEL BROWN. Thats not meant as a dig at Sturns...hes gone, I'm happy and I'm done with him...but that is simply meant as a statement of value for a solid back-up point guard. Even in a best case scenerio Josh White will be inconsistant...he's a true freshman making a big step up in compittion. The only benefit to come out of this is we will see exactly what Collin Mangrum and Tristan Thompson have.

The SBC West is way down and winnable...Isaac Wells gone from ASU, coaching turmoil at UNO, new coach in Denver, RJJ gone from ULAR, UL-La still recovering from Jessie Evans...only UL-Monroe knows exactly what it will have next season.

I should start my West analasys next week with Lafayette.

Well...time to make assesment of what we a sure we will have next season in the backcourt. We essentially start 3 guards...a point and two wings...and ideally you have two players behind them, one capable of playing the point, the other at the 2,3. I think the only person we know for sure will be starting is Ben Bell. I would look for Ben to look to score a bit more this coming season...10ppg, 5apg woud be very nice. I think the other two starters will be determined once JJ knows how ready Josh White is to handle the back-up role at the point. If White is ready...I'd say Collin Dennis is a lock to start at the 2. However Dennis seems to be the only wing capable of sliding to the point for any extended period of time, and if White is in over his head I'd look for Dennis to fill a similar role to what Michael Sturns did last year...only more competantly.

Lets run on the assumption White is ready: start Collin Mangrum at the 3...at best with Dennis starting your 3 is a fourth scoring option (Wooden, Williams, Dennis) and hopefully fifth option (Bell). Mangrum seems to be at best a complimentary scorer anyways, and should exert most of his energy on the defensive end in this type of line-up. McCoy and Thompson are scorers who would benefit seeing minutes as more primary threats. White sees about 10-15 minutes in reserve at the point...with up to 20 minutes available for either McCoy or Thompson...also TT may be big enough to slide over and play the 4 the way Rich Young did last season for 3-5 minutes in a small lineup.

White isn't ready: start McCoy and Thompson. I don't believe either of these players are capable of being the consistant primary threat you would get with Dennis starting at the 2...so starting Mangrum wouldn't be as beneficial. Basically in starting these two you're hoping one get go off for 12-15 as the defense keys on the other...I don't think you'd be able to shut both down...especially not with our frontcourt. Dennis works in for about 25-30 minutes per game, 10-15 of those at the point...Mangrum sees 10-15 spelling TT and McCoy and White plays sparingly.

I think this is a key loss...I said it before and I firmly believe it...WE BEAT MEMPHIS WITH LIONEL BROWN. Thats not meant as a dig at Sturns...hes gone, I'm happy and I'm done with him...but that is simply meant as a statement of value for a solid back-up point guard. Even in a best case scenerio Josh White will be inconsistant...he's a true freshman making a big step up in compittion. The only benefit to come out of this is we will see exactly what Collin Mangrum and Tristan Thompson have.

The SBC West is way down and winnable...Isaac Wells gone from ASU, coaching turmoil at UNO, new coach in Denver, RJJ gone from ULAR, UL-La still recovering from Jessie Evans...only UL-Monroe knows exactly what it will have next season.

My guess is that the starting guards will be Dennis, Bell and Thomas. Mangrum, McCoy and White will be reserves. Doesn't look bad other than no one other than Bell has proved anything at the division 1 level. I think NT has as good a chance as anyone winning the Division if not being the overall Belt champion. I don't believe NT would have beat Memphis with better backup point. It would have been closer but Memphis basically coasted to the victory down the stretch.

Here's the complete story from today's DRC. Toward the end, JJ says that we will go into this season, with just the players we have.....and that the recruiting will focus on signees for the class of 2008. So, in other words, there will be no late additions (PGs or big men). Here's the story:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...1.23238601.html

The only problem with this roster is quality reserves in the front court. Ryan McCoy's absence will be a none issue. Our guard rotation is just fine. Odufawa moves in as an impact 4 in 08. We needs impact post people to play with Odufawa; which should be our #1 priority during the next recruiting season. I agree with JJ not signing anyone just to complete a roster.

Starting 5

1) Ben Bell

2) Collin Dennis (3rd team All-Conference)

3) Tristan Thompson (Newcomer of the Year)

4) Quincy Williams

5) Keith Wooden

Reserves

1) Josh White, (All-Freshman team) Collin Dennis

2) Adam McCoy, Collin Mangrum

3) Adam McCoy, Collin Mangrum

4) Harold Stewart, Walk-on

5) Justin Howerton, Walk-on

The only problem with this roster is quality reserves in the front court

This too concerns me. I wonder it Victor Gill ( 4yr HS BB letterman), Jonthan Ieans ( 10 ppg senior year) or Eddrick Gilmore ( don't know if he ever played HS BB , but went to Aleif Hastings, so if he did he's no scrub) would ever come on over to the hardwood. All we need is someone to eat some minutes and give Q and Wooden some rest. All 3 are 6'5 and around 240pds. No offense would be expected , just use up some fouls , maybe even some hard ones.. If one of our 4 big men ( Stewart & Howerton) gets hurt , we will be in trouble if the injury is for a extended amount of time.

Edited by NT03

Don't have that much concern about the front-court. Basically the same rotation as last year only a year more experienced. Don't see how the loss of Jackson or Edwards hurts as neither played any significant minutes. Yes an injury could hurt but it could at any position especially with only 10 eligible scholarship players. I guess if JJ had been that worried about depth or practice players, he could have retained Jackson, Edwards and Sturns.

'GrandGreen' date='Aug 12 2007, 02:07 AM' pos

Don't have that much concern about the front-court. Basically the same rotation as last year only a year more experienced.

That's exactly my point Grand Green! Our coaches should always look to improve the roster each year. We will never advance this program being content with a 5th place conference team with most wins coming against a very soft non conference schedule. Darrell Dickey became complacent winning the start-up Sunbelt; with an extended contract. My sights are on a top 60 program (10-12 seed) within 3 years. The SuperPit is not an eyesore and the D/FW area is a hotbed for recruiting. There are hundreds of prospects on campus during the summer (for the GASO) and on most weekends at the IAD complex in Carrollton. We played our best ball at the right time last year. With the momentum and press we received, we can do better. JJ is starting to get it.

By the way, Craig Robinson, (linebacker) from Stafford could really help this team. He would be undersized but is a rugged kid under the basket with guard skills. He would not be just a football player playing basketball.

Bootle Has Options

August 15, 2007

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Staff

At a robust 6-foot-7, 255-pounds, Antuan Bootle has the size and strength to battle anybody down in the paint. That's exactly what the rising St. Thomas Episcopal High School senior did on the AAU circuit with Houston Select and was one of the big reasons why the squad had such a successful run. Now that the games are over, Bootle is parlaying the success he had into a college recruitment that's moving along quickly.

"The summer went really good," Bootle said. "We won the Great American Shootout in Denton and we came in second in a tournament in Tulsa. We had a good run in Vegas playing some tough teams like losing to the Atlanta Celtics and we made a good run in LA as well, making it to the semifinals."

From an individual perspective, Bootle can't complain either. "Things went well," he said. "I had some really good games and I felt I really improved down low in the post. I got great experience playing against bigger and better players and that made me better."

Plenty of coaches were on the sidelines of Houston Select games so it's no shock that Bootle has been getting plenty of love. "Recruiting has been going really well," Bootle said. "I'm hearing from Utah, North Texas, Tulane, New Orleans, Northern Arizona, Idaho, and some others."

Bootle has received offers from some of the schools on his list, but declined to name them citing advice from his coach. But he does plan on trimming things down in the near future so he can go and take some official visits.

"I'm going to wait until school starts to narrow down my list," Bootle said. "I want a program that goes hard and knows about the players and helps them get better. I also want good academics - just an all-around hard-working program."

Bootle indicated that he hopes to sign in the fall.

• 1 month later...

Hey Censored By Laurie and Cooley - The new season is fast approaching. We've already had roster changes since your excellent analyzes throughout this thread. I sampled CBL above. Care to re-analyze given the changes (Mangrum) and newly signed players (Hogans, Willingham). How about Stewart? He had some great post-season games... finally breaks out as a consistent contributor this season?

Edited by chrisfisher

Hey Censored By Laurie and Cooley - The new season is fast approaching. We've already had roster changes since your excellent analyzes throughout this thread. I sampled CBL above. Care to re-analyze given the changes (Mangrum) and newly signed players (Hogans, Willingham). How about Stewart? He had some great post-season games... finally breaks out as a consistent contributor this season?

I'm working on an in depth breakdown of UNT to be posted after I finish the last of the SBC West schools...Monroe and UNO.

Unfortunantly my job has actually been keeping me busy...I find this very inconsiderate of them. It'll be up by the middle of the month.

I'm working on an in depth breakdown of UNT to be posted after I finish the last of the SBC West schools...Monroe and UNO.

Unfortunantly my job has actually been keeping me busy...I find this very inconsiderate of them. It'll be up by the middle of the month.

Thanks CBL. I'll look forward to it... And that is real shame about your company making you work when on the job.... don't they know that you have important basketball analyzes that need to be tended too??

Update obviously after this thread was started Collin Mangrum is announced as having to red shirt this coming season due to surgery. Also time frame Josh White is going full steam and will relieve our starting guard. Perhaps a revised post on where we stand would help. OldTimer