U N T Set For Key Workout

MeanGreen61

UNT set for key workout

Mean Green hope to make progress at quarterback

09:50 PM CDT on Friday, August 10, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Todd Dodge wouldn't define his team's workout at Fouts Field today as a scrimmage.

But that doesn't mean there won't be a big change in what the Mean Green does during its first practice in its home stadium this fall.

UNT will work on the kicking game extensively and spend more time in 11-on-11 situations that will go a long way toward determining who the Mean Green's starting quarterback will be for its season opener at Oklahoma on Sept. 1.

The 150-snap practice will be closed to the public because of ongoing construction at Fouts Field.

"It's just another practice that will be a lot more team oriented," Dodge said. "It will be more team work than individual and group work."

Dodge said during media days earlier in the week that he would determine who his starting quarterback will be after the second of the Mean Green's Saturday workouts. Veterans Daniel Meager, Nathan Tune and Matt Phillips and freshman Giovanni Vizza are expected to see extended action in team drills.

"I am excited about it," Meager said of today's practice. "I feel good about how I am progressing with the offense and how everything is going."

Tune was impressive in scrimmages early in his redshirt season before spending most of last year in the background while UNT's top quarterbacks battled for the starting job. The experience he gained during that season could pay off today.

"I still have some things I need to work on, but I have to stay after it," Tune said. "I am more prepared this season because of the experience I gained last year."

The rest of UNT's players anticipate seeing the competition between Tune, Meager and the other Mean Green quarterbacks heat up today.

"It will be a good situation with the quarterbacks out there pushing each other and making each other better," UNT offensive lineman Chad Rose said. "That way whoever plays will be ready on Sept. 1."

UNT will go through more of a standard pre-game routine for the first time today. That experience will benefit more than just the Mean Green's quarterbacks.

"This is definitely an important practice," UNT linebacker Derek Mendoza said. "Coach Dodge talked about how we will start with the pre-game routine. It will be like a mini game. That will be more exciting with the atmosphere at Fouts."

The workout will also give UNT's top players on offense and defense a chance to square off in a game-like situation for the first time.

"It will be a good learning experience," Rose said. "The only time we have gone against the No. 1 defense is in running drills. We will get to do more in the passing game and full-team aspects of the game."

Dodge:

UNT responds well to full-pads workout

UNT's players made a good impression on Dodge during the team's first workout of fall practice in full pads Friday.

"The big thing was to get in pads, get a little done and knock the rust off," Dodge said. "I was pleased with what I saw."

Briefly

Dodge said he anticipates his players who finished summer school on Friday to return to the team in the next few days. Quarterback Woody Wilson and wide receiver Korey Washington are among the players finishing summer class work. … Dodge said none of his players will miss today's workout with injuries.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Edited by MeanGreen61