North Texas Holds 2007 Media Day

GreenBat

Todd Dodge on the battle for the starting quarterback position

“We’ll name a starter after the second scrimmage. We’re going to name a starter and be behind him completely. Once we get one, we’re expecting him to be our guy.”

Does this mean that the starter at OU will be the guy that finishes the season?

I, along with several others, was kind of thinking that Meager (or another vet) would take the first 2-3 games and then possibly give way to Vizza.

Dodge's statement kind of leads me to believe that there is only going to be ONE guy, barring injuries, for the entire season.

If Vizza does win the job as a true freshman he will be thrown into the fire in Norman.

I LIKE IT! Lets play some football! :D

Does this mean that the starter at OU will be the guy that finishes the season?

No, Dodge said that they must be effective in the offense because there were people behind them.

My take is, whoever wins the job after the second scrimmage will be the starter against OU. If they are effective (Dodge's word, not mine), they will start against SMU. If not, then the QB battle is open again.

He did not say what effective meant.

No, Dodge said that they must be effective in the offense because there were people behind them.

My take is, whoever wins the job after the second scrimmage will be the starter against OU. If they are effective (Dodge's word, not mine), they will start against SMU. If not, then the QB battle is open again.

I think you are right. I read it and thought basically the same thing. I take what he says to mean, once we have our starter, another words once we figure out just who is going to step up and run our offense, will be our starter.

Ideally this is for someone who was at media days...

How long could the QB battle go on? You could argue that DD let them "battle" ALL last season.

Now I do by no means think that this will go on all season, but, once again hopefully from someone who was there, how long does it look like the QB search go on?

He did say, and has several times before, that he did not want the QB to have to look over his shoulder.

I took what he said a little differently.

I expect that the starter will be chosen after the second scrimmage, and the starter will have several games, I'll guess four bur probably more, no matter what.

Dodge has said over and over that making a QB look over his shoulder is not the way to win.

PLEASE NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! This was the problem last season...you have to give your QB some sort of leash to make mistakes, especially against a defense like Oklahoma. Four games has to be the absolute minimum, and even after that the QB has to be just terrible to pull him...especially if its Vizza whose ceiling is higher than any QB we've ever had.

I took what he said a little differently.

I expect that the starter will be chosen after the second scrimmage, and the starter will have several games, I'll guess four bur probably more, no matter what.

Dodge has said over and over that making a QB look over his shoulder is not the way to win.

I agree. Dodge also said when he took the NT job that he would not have a QB-by-committee. He believed the cream rises to the top in competition. Although he will name a starter, I can also see the primary backup getting in games to get experience and time too. You don't want your starter to go down and have a backup who has never been in a game. I think more than one QB will play at OU (and other games) just for the experience, and not because of a change of starter status.

Edited by NT80