No. 12 Back On Field

UNTflyer

Smith's number back on the field

UNT is using the No. 12 this season for the first time since the death of quarterback Andrew Smith in a car accident before the beginning of the 2004 season.

Freshman wide receiver Sam Roberson is wearing the number Smith used throughout his career.

"We have all the respect in the world for Andrew Smith and his family, but as we go into the season we feel like it is appropriate to go ahead and put that number back on someone," Dodge said. "It's a fine young man who will wear that number. He will honor it well."

Smith left a lasting legacy at UNT after starter Scott Hall suffered a season-ending injury in the Mean Green's opener against Texas in 2002. Smith stepped in and led UNT to an 8-4 record, including a win over Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl.

Smith began the 2003 season as the Mean Green's starter, but relinquished the job to Hall in the fifth game of the year. The former Bay City standout was set to compete with Hall for the starting job again in 2004 before his death.

Former UNT head coach Darrell Dickey did not use the No. 12 during the rest of his tenure with the Mean Green that ended after last season.

It is very difficult to "retire" numbers at the college level or pro level in football. This is especially true since certain numbers imply certain positions. There are only 99 numbers and often more players than that. Basketball and baseball have few problems with doing that due to the smaller squads.

Hmmm..... I am not sure I agree with them putting the 12 jersey back on the field.

It's a sore subject from several sides, and the practice field naming rights played a part in it as well. I suppose we have to move on from that time. Although I didn't realize it would come to this, I'm now glad more than ever we made sure he would be permanantly recognized within Boomer's construction of his carriage.

Rick

I thought this could have been an opportunity for a new tradition for our football team. Either keep the number retired and have some sort of marker or plaque as a "memorial" at the stadium (although I know it would be difficult because of the limited numbers) or start giving that number out to certain players that meet up to a certain standard, but this sounds too much like the 12th man for A&M. I just think something more should be done to remember Mr. Smith, something more public.

Please lets not get into another Andrew Smith debate. Was he a solid QB that took NT to its first bowl win in forever? YES.

Did he drive drunk and high that resulted in him being killed? YES.

Should the number be retired? HELL NO

Should he be remembered? YES

A think a plaque in the Athletic Center should be out up remembering him and what booze and drugs can do to a young man with a bright future.

It is a tragedy that he died, but it's time to move on.

Please lets not get into another Andrew Smith debate. Was he a solid QB that took NT to its first bowl win in forever? YES.

A think a plaque in the Athletic Center should be out up remembering him and what booze and drugs can do to a young man with a bright future.

Thanks for saying it.

I didn't know that he was driving under the influence and drunk. This was confirmed?

agreed.

Personally I don't think that a school should retire any of their numbers. If anything, they should honor their legendary players by giving their numbered jersey to the outstanding player that plays the same position.

For instance, Patrick Cobbs, because of his outstanding accomplishments might have been given #28 to wear.

Booger Kennedy might have been given #75 to wear.

Brad Kassel or Cody Spencer might have been given #55 to wear.

Having a ceremony to award these numbers every year would do more to honor the original "legendary player", than having his name and number hanging from the press box.

Right now, we have the DL, LB, and RB and/or WR position covered. We could decide on a legendary player at the other positions and designate their college numbers to be worn by the outstanding player at the same position.

I would nominate the following players and numbers to be so honored.

QB, Steve Ramsey #17

DB, Carl (Spider) Lockhart #43

WR, Ronnie Shanklin, #31, or Ray Renfro #33

OL, Bill Carrico, Glenn Holloway, Willie Parker, Greg Davidson,Scott Bowles. I don't know any of these guys numbers.

Edited by SilverEagle

Personally I don't think that a school should retire any of their numbers. If anything, they should honor their legendary players by giving their numbered jersey to the outstanding player that plays the same position.

For instance, Patrick Cobbs, because of his outstanding accomplishments might have been given #28 to wear.

Having a ceremony to award these numbers every year would do more to honor the original "legendary player", than having his name and number hanging from the press box.

Right now, we have the DL, LB, and RB and/or WR position covered. We could decide on a legendary player at the other positions and designate their college numbers to be worn by the outstanding player at the same position.

QB, Steve Ramsey #17

OL, Bill Carrico, Glenn Holloway, Willie Parker, Greg Davidson,Scott Bowles. I don't know any of these guys numbers.

That's unfortunate about Mr. Smith, I never new that.

This sounds like a good idea.

Edited by Green Crazy

QB, Steve Ramsey #17

Your idea makes sense because there are only 99 numbers and if you retire more than a few, you get short of jersey numbers. If you retire some and then stop because of a number shortage, then you give the early stars an unfair recognition advantage over your later stars.

QB, Steve Ramsey #17

DB, Carl (Spider) Lockhart #43....*

* I assume that this was Carl Lockhart's number in college. It was what he wore in the pros. If this is incorrect, someone please list his college jersey number.

I dont want to deviate too far from the Andrew Smith topic...but I've always had a idea similar to the "blackshirt" defense in Nebraska...there you earn a black practice jersey once you've achieved a certain standard...here we could use the number 75 as that reward...give a jersey with a 75 on the shoulder or back. It would be a great way to honor Greene and give the players a great goal and motivator

I dont want to deviate too far from the Andrew Smith topic...but I've always had a idea similar to the "blackshirt" defense in Nebraska...there you earn a black practice jersey once you've achieved a certain standard...here we could use the number 75 as that reward...give a jersey with a 75 on the shoulder or back. It would be a great way to honor Greene and give the players a great goal and motivator

It could be the Greene shirts?

I really like SilverEagle's idea. I would think that the families of those deceased players would rather see those numbers on the field than painted on the press box. (I know, I know, Abner Haynes is very much alive and his grandson is going to SMU)

I'm opposed to retiring jerseys because I expect NT to have many many great players. So many that retiring numbers would be impractical.

And Silver also points out the time frame when these numbers were retired. Are we to assume that there were no North Texas players good enough to have their nubmers retired before Abner Haynes, Joe Greene, and Richard GIll ?

Join the Mean Green

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

I’ve gotta agree I hate seeing new guys were my old fraternity intramural number and that’s nothing compared to a D-1 college football number. But unfortunately it’s just part of life we've gotta move on and except the change.

Just remember, someone who saw you wearing "their" number probably felt the same way.

That's why I like the Cowboys Ring of Honor, the player is honored, the number is allowed to live on...although if I see someone wearing #12 for the Cowboys during the regular season, I might bust a blood vessel or two.