Usm Talking About Conference Usa Ooc Scheds

BobFam

Here's the link

......"We want to play regionally," SMU coach Phil Bennett said. "We're in Big 12 country, so we want to play one Big 12 team, home-and-home, (archrival) TCU, home-and-home, and then two Sun Belt Conference (teams), with North Texas, preferably.".......

That's all about NT in the article. Do you think Bennett sees UNT as an easy win since we're in the Sun Belt, geographically convenient, or both? I can't help but lean towards him thinking easy win since he wants to play two Sun Belt teams on his OOC schedule. He needs to go winless against the Belt for the next few years and we'll see SMU's new coach looking at I-AA teams for his regional OOC fillers.

Here's the link

......"We want to play regionally," SMU coach Phil Bennett said. "We're in Big 12 country, so we want to play one Big 12 team, home-and-home, (archrival) TCU, home-and-home, and then two Sun Belt Conference (teams), with North Texas, preferably.".......

That's all about NT in the article. Do you think Bennett sees UNT as an easy win since we're in the Sun Belt, geographically convenient, or both? I can't help but lean towards him thinking easy win since he wants to play two Sun Belt teams on his OOC schedule. He needs to go winless against the Belt for the next few years and we'll see SMU's new coach looking at I-AA teams for his regional OOC fillers.

I honestly believe it's because Bennett knows that a home-home series with NT-SMU makes sense. Low travel costs, increased home attendance for both teams, and increased regional interest. I don't think that SMU can look at anyone as an "easy win" these days.

Now if we could get TCU on our schedule every year along with SMU, we'd be in good shape.

Here's the link

He wants to play us and hype up the game we want to play most every year and could even turned into a real life sponsored rivalry game if both programs continue to improve. Get HIM!

Now if we could get TCU on our schedule every year along with SMU, we'd be in good shape.

this would be a lot easier if we were in the same conference as one of those teams. In fact, I imagine we would in fact see that every year, with some sort of cup. It's odd to have 3 D-1A programs in the same media market and all of them be in different conferences.

Edited by Eagle1855

It only makes $ense that NT/SMUt play each other; low cost travel, easy fan access, easy win for NT, etc. B) My only fear that after Bennett gets fired this year at SMUt (for no Bowl) that he will be replaced by some fool that thinks the Phonies can hang with Big 12 teams and schedules more of those instead of us.

this would be a lot easier if we were in the same conference as one of those teams. In fact, I imagine we would in fact see that every year, with some sort of cup. It's odd to have 3 D-1A programs in the same media market and all of them be in different conferences.

That's definately true. Having 3 metroplex D-1 schools within an hour of one another just screams for a series every year...sad that conference affiliation seems to keep this from happening.

Maybe try to sell the Cotton Bowl on playing these games there? I know they need games.

That's definately true. Having 3 metroplex D-1 schools within an hour of one another just screams for a series every year...sad that conference affiliation seems to keep this from happening.

Maybe try to sell the Cotton Bowl on playing these games there? I know they need games.

These games need to remain on the respective campuses (one game for each), unless the crowds get too big.

Here's the link

Only wish Phil Bennett would have said such things about SMU's best case scenario schedule formula at the front end of his career on the Hilltop. :rolleyes:

I hope SMU's Bennett is able to keep his job (in more ways than one). He's had a tough row to hoe in University Park. He's had to endure the tragic loss of a wife (who was killed by a lightning strike). He's had his share of critics at SMU (as DD had here and with this particular poster the last 2 years), but Phil Bennett seems to have most always kept all his broadcasted comments on the high road every time I've heard him which I believe actually played a part in his getting another year on his contract (truth be known).

UNT? We're something else, now aren't we?:) Almost to the person, we are each & every one visionaries concerning our Mean Green athletic program. We all many times project ourselves as the UNT we all good & well know that we just aren't at this point in time (especially when it comes to our having a true D1-A football facility coupled with what most upper echelon D1-A schools have for attendance figures.

IMHO, we just have yet to become what we all project us to be as far as a school that would make schools such as most of the ex-SWC schools want to schedule us (instead of "our" most always saying how that group who should always want to schedule us).

SOME SUBJECTS STAY THE SAME--ONLY THE YEARS CHANGE: All these "wish all 3 Metroplex schools would play each other every year" have been cussed & discussed for most every decade I've been an NT Ex. (Not that we should ever give up on such an idea). UNT playing in the Cotton Bowl? Many of us on this boardwould tell you: Been there--Done that.:( The Cotton Bowl was our home for 2 games in the 1981 season and many of us back then swore off having to have that experience again...........ever. (Now if Mayor Miller hadn't blocked Jerry World & the Arlington Cowboys out of Fair Park, there might be some changes of heart out here).

Nothing new with this. either, but we simply just need to take care of business at UNT right now (& not next year or next decade) as far as the fundraising aspects of our new stadium is concerned. UNT leaders hopefully are sensitive to the largest constituency that will sit inside this new stadium & build it with that group (and those who will sit in this stadium 25 years from now) in mind. As always & at most NCAA D1-A outposts, some egos may have to be left at the front door for our UNT constituency to eventually get what their grandsons and grand-daughters who attend UNT will (for darn sure) need for their stadium needs. We cannot build this stadium based on our experiences of the last 10 years or probably even the next 5.

For now, we just need to put more butts in seats than that that has been our usual average at Fouts and then when Denton County hits 1 million populaton (in the next 8-10 years) that UNT powers(whoever they will be at that time) wlll inherit the fruits of some UNT powers today who made decisons that would make our future leaders jobs easier.

Quite honestly, the future couldn't be brighter at UNT than it is now, but many of us said the same thing back in 1978, too. Yet.............now is the time for UNT to act on all this population boom we've had going for awhile now and do something about it for a change.

I sill defer to the 100'th editing of the signature below: :rolleyes:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen