New Video

Harry

There are soooo many things I like about that video. Is it the QB or is it the system?? Who cares...we got both!! I like how many wide open receivers I saw. I like the fact that Riley hit those wide open receivers. I like the fact that a couple of DBs seemed to underestimate Riley's arm...and then got burned by that arm. I loved how Riley could scramble for 10, 20 or 30 yards and then had enough sense to get out of bounds to avoid the big hit. I liked Riley's pump fakes and I liked how accurate he was when throwing to WRs that were well covered. I liked how well Riley could maneuver when pass protection broke down. I like Riley's speed and I loved Blake Cantu's one-handed catch...I still hope we can reel him away from Oregon!

There are soooo many things I like about that video. Is it the QB or is it the system?? Who cares...we got both!! I like how many wide open receivers I saw. I like the fact that Riley hit those wide open receivers. I like the fact that a couple of DBs seemed to underestimate Riley's arm...and then got burned by that arm. I loved how Riley could scramble for 10, 20 or 30 yards and then had enough sense to get out of bounds to avoid the big hit. I liked Riley's pump fakes and I liked how accurate he was when throwing to WRs that were well covered. I liked how well Riley could maneuver when pass protection broke down. I like Riley's speed and I loved Blake Cantu's one-handed catch...I still hope we can reel him away from Oregon!

I was thinking the same thing. Did you notice that almost every play, except when he's scrambling, he has enough time to make a sandwich and take out the trash before he throws the ball...

Good video. Great o-line protection. He is a little guy. 5"10" tops about 170-75 lbs. Great athlete. Pretty decent arm but not anything we do not already have in any of the QBs, imo. Good accuracy and good speed. I am a more of a Stephen McGee kind of running QB fan. Stephen leads by being a tough nosed player, I like that trait, again omo. I like Qb's like Chase Daniel who will mix it up and like it to show their toughness when its smart to do so. Riley will make a fine addition to some intense competition this spring.

The thing that impresses me is the economy of movement he shows. He doesn't take five steps to shake a defender when two would work. His head fakes and hop steps are gold, too. He's not going to burn people in college like he could in high school, but, then again, who does? Of course, the other thing is his knowledge of the system. You can tell by the video that he knows where everything is and is going to be. When he reads pressure, he hits the vacated zone or goes over the top. When he knows he has time, he is perfectly comfortable sitting back in the pocket waiting for the right lane.

I did see that he benefitted from absolutely stellar blocking and blitz recognition. And, when he did need to escape a defender, it wa usually only one guy. It is a lot easier to make one guy miss than to evade the whole jailbreak, as some of our QBs had to do last year.

Also, I noticed (as I did at their playoff game against Allen last year) that he has a tendency to hang the long ball up there a bit. Of his touchdown passes, you could tell that about a third of them would be easy meat for a D-1 safety. But otherwise, I agree, an absolutely terrific get for our team.

He rarely looks past the first receiver. Even when he scrambles, he is still looking at his first option throughout the play. From that video, it's easy to see why Mack Brown was recruiting him as an athlete and not a QB.

I'd expect nothing less from you.

He rarely looks past the first receiver. Even when he scrambles, he is still looking at his first option throughout the play. From that video, it's easy to see why Mack Brown was recruiting him as an athlete and not a QB.

Could you really tell all that from that 5 minute video? And wouldn't there be circumstances in those big plays (homerun balls) where they knew he was going to that guy from the get-go as long as everyone executed their part?

I thought some of those highlights showed some really good footwork in the pocket- something he'll need in such an elite, defensive-minded conference like the sunbelt. Ok I was kidding about the last part.

Everyone is an expert.

Thanks Debbie Downer. :rolleyes:

You forgot to call him a MF'er.

Another point that I noticed--the time required to make the pass.

After the sanp from center is received, the pass was off before you

could count to 3. The reads are made, and the open guy is found,

then the pass is off. Also- did you see the "open" lane that was

set up for the designed QB run? Sweet!

Another point that I noticed--the time required to make the pass.

After the sanp from center is received, the pass was off before you

could count to 3. The reads are made, and the open guy is found,

then the pass is off. Also- did you see the "open" lane that was

set up for the designed QB run? Sweet!

I think you need to settle down. Those are pretty standard procedures Perhaps you have hangover from our last offensive system.

Yes, but if DD was coaching him he could easily correct him of this problem, right? Then he'd never have to look past the first running back for the hand-off.

Only 7 plays where he is running the ball and I think 5 of those were him geting out of jail to avoid a sack.

We know he has an arm. It is nice to know he can evade the rush. The way to beat a spread iis to send one more defender then they have blockers. Let's see him do some of this against Zero U and Ar Kansas (if he plays in those games).

Only 7 plays where he is running the ball and I think 5 of those were him geting out of jail to avoid a sack.

We know he has an arm. It is nice to know he can evade the rush. The way to beat a spread iis to send one more defender then they have blockers. Let's see him do some of this against Zero U and Ar Kansas (if he plays in those games).

Riley will be playing at SLC this year. He won't be playing for NT until 2008.

• 2 weeks later...