Fouts Field - Officials Argue For New Stadium

MeanGreen61

----Good article BUT the dates given for comparing stadiums is a bit crazy....Most of those that are older than Fouts barely resemble what they looked like when they were built and in fact many have destroyed much of the former structure and replaced it. Many of them are now 2-3-4 times larger than they were when opened on the date given. My picture when I was 25 and what I look like now(age 60+) is not a good camparison.... neither are those stadium date comparisons.

30,000 is ample for our needs. And it's not a set in stone number, it could be 31k or 32k. The fact is that a 30k seat expandable stadium meets our needs for now and the future, and I'll be happy with it.

I am beginning to agree with this. 32-35K, with the ability to expand. IF one or both of the end zone areas had a grassed, elevated berm with the ability to 'seat' 5-7K in a lawn-type arrangement. Sorta like Missouri does:

aerial.jpg

Or Ohio U:

athens_peden1.jpg

This would probably go away when end zone seats were added, but it would provide the ability to get general admission sales, and bump the capacity to 38-40K with a full house, until the expansions were done.

Edited by LongJim

I am beginning to agree with this. 32-35K, with the ability to expand. IF one or both of the end zone areas had a grassed, elevated berm with the ability to 'seat' 5-7K in a lawn-type arrangement.

The concept plans are for one end zone to be enclosed by the athletic center with seating at the other end. Expansion would probably come with an upper level.

30,000 is ample for our needs. And it's not a set in stone number, it could be 31k or 32k. But we don't need a 45,000 seat stadium and we probably wouldn't get the financial support for one. Building a 2nd tier to accomodate those extra seats raises the costs significantly. Minnesota is looking at a 50,000 seat stadium and the estimated cost is in the neighborhood of $280 million. Utah tried to get a 45,000 seat stadium for under $50m and they couldn't get a contractor to bid that low. UCF's 45,000 seat stadium is running over budget and is now projected at $65m.

The fact is that a 30k seat expandable stadium meets our needs for now and the future, and I'll be happy with it.

Right now, a 33,000 seater would make me plum dog'gone happy since that would make us have the 9'th largest D1-A stadium in Texas. Don't ask me why about this, but I just don't want us to be #10, that's all. :rolleyes: Do any of you? :unsure:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

Right now, a 33,000 seater would make me plum dog'gone happy since that would make us have the 9'th largest D1-A stadium in Texas. Don't ask me why about this, but I just don't want us to be #10, that's all. :rolleyes: Do any of you? :unsure:

Now, that's the spirit, Jim. But, hellsbells, why not make it 33,100 and make us #8?

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Now, that's the spirit, Jim. But, hellsbells, why not make it 33,100 and make us #8?

:lol:

Poor research on my part. I forgot about UH's Robertson Stadium being very close to SMU's in capacity.

So Jack, who do we have to beat to become # 7? :rolleyes::)

I do think Rick V needs to hire a small army of fundraisers (or consultants) to research every philanthropist in the entire USA or maybe even checking out foundations (such as Moody Foundation, Galveston, Texas) to see where we could possibly get the necessary start-up monies for our new stadium. Who knows, 1 or 2 we have all put on our "could do thi$ new $tadium thing" lists would then step forward when they see this thing is really going to become a reality.

This is a unique time in our school's history which may mean different measures will be needed at this time for this most unique (and enormous) fundraising project?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen