Another One Bites The Dust

emmitt01

Arkstfan has already come up with the perfect replacement......the Red Wolf......which is/was native to Arkansas.

Of course, if you presented something like that (a logical solution) to a North Texas committee, they would ignore you and then go out and spend 20K+ to come up with something unimaginative.

Arkstfan has already come up with the perfect replacement......the Red Wolf......which is/was native to Arkansas.

Of course, if you presented something like that (a logical solution) to a North Texas committee, they would ignore you and then go out and spend 20K+ to come up with something unimaginative.

And you think the folks at ASU are going to listen to us? They are already talking about hiring a marketing consultant. <_<

I thought they should make their mascot the Arkies. Why? Because unlike a traditional animal mascot, it would identify the state college with all of Arkansas.

Sooners, Jayhawks, Hawkeyes, Tigers (LSU), Tarheels, and Hoosiers were all nicknames for the residents of the those states based on silly (often derogatory) stereotypes from historical incidents. Arkies would be great for Arkansas State and would help them steal a little thunder from the Razorbacks.

I thought they should make their mascot the Arkies. Why? Because unlike a traditional animal mascot, it would identify the state college with all of Arkansas.

Sooners, Jayhawks, Hawkeyes, Tigers (LSU), Tarheels, and Hoosiers were all nicknames for the residents of the those states based on silly (often derogatory) stereotypes from historical incidents. Arkies would be great for Arkansas State and would help them steal a little thunder from the Razorbacks.

Actually, Arkies is ridiculous and silly, but I like it !

Actually, Arkies is ridiculous and silly, but I like it !

When soldiers from Arkansas have gone to war the common name for them was Arkies.

Arkies at war

During the Great Depression, Arkies was the common name for the Arkansas natives many of which were relocating to the west coast.

Brief Arkansas history including 'Arkies' nickname

The name Arkies is fun, marketable, identifies with residents statewide, and has historical merit. The name makes too much sense for them, so they'll probably pick some generic formerly indigenous animal instead.

When soldiers from Arkansas have gone to war the common name for them was Arkies.

Arkies at war

During the Great Depression, Arkies was the common name for the Arkansas natives many of which were relocating to the west coast.

Brief Arkansas history including 'Arkies' nickname

The name Arkies is fun, marketable, identifies with residents statewide, and has historical merit. The name makes too much sense for them, so they'll probably pick some generic formerly indigenous animal instead.

PC police will say that is derogatory, why because it is a label and a label just must be derogatory hence it is derogatory.

Thank you PC police I would fire your a$$es!

"Arky" is insulting but Hogg or Pig is ok to the people of Arkansas??? A Razorback is a very ugly Hog. Rather be an Arkie than a pig....

I don't think "Sooner" (Cheater), " Jayhawk" (not good), or even "Corn Husker" are all that great of names either. Trojan has a a bad meaning and come to think about it about half the mascots (at least) could have a politically incorrect "twist" to them. Surprised the NCAAP doesn't object to Tennessee Volunteers, LSU Fighting Tigers, Mississppi Rebels, since all of them have a meaning tied to the Civil War. Then we have all these mean predatory animals...Eagles, Lobos, Lions, Tigers, Hawks, Bears, etc.

---Ohio State has is made... be a plant...!!!! Buck-eye... or Syracuse... just a color..Orange. (actually it refers to the House of Orange which still rules Holland, remember NY was once New Amsterdam until the mean British took it away from them. I guess that made them the "Angry Orange".

I'm glad the NCAA is discouraging these nicknames. I might be less enthused about it if I went to a school like Illinois or Ark. State, but racial mascots encourage stuff like "scalp the Indians" and caricatures like Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians.

Indians, Texans, Mexicans?

Its all how you take it and what you do with it, that is why crap like this is silly. Don't tell me there is a difference.

Edited by KingDL1