Nt Earns "a" On Gender-equity Scorecard, #2 In Nation

NT80

I think this is great news. Women make up over half of the student body at UNT, so I don't see why

anyone should have a problem with equity/opportunities in the Athletic department.

I thought it was terrible when then-AD Helwig cut the men's soccer team to try to keep us in compliance

with Title IX. Considering that President Nixon signed this into law over thirty years ago, Helwig could have planned

for compliance over the next, oh fifteen years or so, instead of having to resort to such last-minute

drastic measures. I live in a town where the schools have to be dragged kicking and screaming into compliance

with Title IX and where there were no women's soccer teams in the high school not that long ago. The only

thing the school responded to, as far as offering women's soccer, was not reason or sense of fairness, but the threat of a lawsuit which they knew they would lose.

By the way, I was in Virginia recently, and saw a young lady wearing a sweatshirt that said

"Patrick Henry College Girl's Soccer". Patrick Henry is the religious college for homeschoolers.

Don't most colleges refer to their programs as "Women's Soccer"? not "girls".

I think this is great news. Women make up over half of the student body at UNT, so I don't see why

anyone should have a problem with equity/opportunities in the Athletic department.

I thought it was terrible when then-AD Helwig cut the men's soccer team to try to keep us in compliance

with Title IX.

you said the reason yourself. programs had to cut mens sports to get compliant. just adding more womens sports produced no added revenue to support the additions. title ix has hurt more than it helped.

For proof of this look no further than SMU. Top 5 Men's Track program and a great cross country program (most of their runners still run in the Dallas area) only to be cut in 2003 for Women's equestrian...... and they don't even have a baseball team

Our men's soccer was a great program, but I'm just giving another reference.

Personally, I could care less about the score on our gender-equity report. Texas probably received a "C". You think they really care?

you said the reason yourself. programs had to cut mens sports to get compliant. just adding more womens sports produced no added revenue to support the additions. title ix has hurt more than it helped.

By the way, I was in Virginia recently, and saw a young lady wearing a sweatshirt that said

"Patrick Henry College Girl's Soccer". Patrick Henry is the religious college for homeschoolers.

Don't most colleges refer to their programs as "Women's Soccer"? not "girls".

I was in Denton the other day and saw alady wearing a T-shirt that said:

TWU FOOTBALL

"still undefeated"