Official Start Of August Practice

Dodge2007

I believe the QB's will battle it out for the staritng position. Right now, they are

all at the starting gate. Just like horse racing-we seen the horses, we have seen how

they run, how they have trained, and we all have our favorites.

Which one will break away from the pack is the mystery. Let the best man win!

I believe Coach Dodge and his staff will evaluate all the QB candidates.

I personally believe Coach Dodge has not been sold on any of the candidates--yet!

That is why he wants to see what Vizza can do, and turn up the competition!

I believe Coach Dodge will name the starting QB after week 2 of 2-a-days.

Then, start preparing the team for the season and how to beat zero-u!

WOW, I like that, "How to beat zero-u" How did that pop into my mind?

For the horse racing fans, how would you place the odds on the starting QB race?

Meagar, 2-1 favorite?

Wilson, 3-1

Tune, 4-1

Vizza, 5-2 ?

Johnson 6-1

Phillips 8-1

Emmitt.............you sure are touchy when it comes to Woodrow. Your hanging your hat on two plays and some athletic ability. Have you ever watched WW throw the ball at practice for an hour or so? If you think Dodge is going to put WW, a senior at that, on the field in his system with those throwing mechanics, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING YOURSELF.

Throwing mechanics mean very little in the college game. Danny Weurful (sp?) shot-putted the ball on his way to winning a Heisman in a system that threw the ball a whole lot more than we will. Now...I am not privy to all the insider practice information like Dodge2007...but from what I saw last season and in the spring game, Danny Meager doesn't throw the ball that much better than Woody...and he certainly doesn't add the intangibles that WW brings with his athleticism. Last years QB problems were the result of never naming a QB and whoever was on the field was constantly looking over his shoulder...a coach needs to allow his QB to make a mistake or two and learn from them...DD stunted the growth of both DM and WW. IMHO, there are 2 things that keep WW from playing Qb this season...his game management, too many delay of games...even in the spring game I believe he had 2...the other is an 18 year old from San Antonio with mafia connections.

Just to pi$$ in the wind a little, haven't I read that Tune is favored as second place right now?

Frankly, Tune may have more upside, though we won't know that for sure until he has had a little more coaching and gets more familiar with the offense. He is, by far, the least experienced of all the QB hopefuls, therefore the most difficult to assess.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I believe the QB's will battle it out for the staritng position. Right now, they are

all at the starting gate. Just like horse racing-we seen the horses, we have seen how

they run, how they have trained, and we all have our favorites.

Which one will break away from the pack is the mystery. Let the best man win!

I believe Coach Dodge and his staff will evaluate all the QB candidates.

I personally believe Coach Dodge has not been sold on any of the candidates--yet!

That is why he wants to see what Vizza can do, and turn up the competition!

I believe Coach Dodge will name the starting QB after week 2 of 2-a-days.

Then, start preparing the team for the season and how to beat zero-u!

WOW, I like that, "How to beat zero-u" How did that pop into my mind?

For the horse racing fans, how would you place the odds on the starting QB race?

Meagar, 2-1 favorite?

Wilson, 3-1

Tune, 4-1

Vizza, 5-2 ?

Johnson 6-1

Phillips 8-1

Who is Johnson??? And how did he get better odds than our second most experienced quarterback?

Phillips may be last in the qb derby but if he is it's solely because of footspeed. He has better mechanics, knowledge of game and arm than most of the candidates.

Johson, is the $mu transfer, brother of NT's new recruit, J.J. Johnson,

center, 6-2, 278lbs.

Both report to fall practice.

Odd's--I am just guessing, no favorites. I wanted someone that

knows how to figure out the odds on this guessing game.

What will the odds be for each candidate?

I really only have interest in Wilson and Vizza. The rest have had chances (except Tune) and proven nothing.

It will be interesting to see if Wilson can run the offense, checkdowns, etc. If he CAN run it, he's the guy I want- because he can RUN it and that adds a whole other dimension to the offense.

Oh and I don't care about throwing motion as long as the guy gets it where it's supposed to go. A certain #10 had an awful throwing motion and it didn't seem to stop him from beating the ESPN-dubbed GREATEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM EVER ASSEMBLED IN ALL OF CREATION AND ETERNITY FOR EVER AND EVER MORE AMEN. And for the idiots that will single out that part of the post please know that I am not comparing the two. At all. Just talking unconventional throwing motions...

Oh and I don't care about throwing motion as long as the guy gets it where it's supposed to go. A certain #10 had an awful throwing motion and it didn't seem to stop him from beating the ESPN-dubbed GREATEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM EVER ASSEMBLED IN ALL OF CREATION AND ETERNITY FOR EVER AND EVER MORE AMEN. And for the idiots that will single out that part of the post please know that I am not comparing the two. At all. Just talking unconventional throwing motions...

True, but when your the fastest guy on the field who needs a good throwing motion? Ooops, here we go again. Damn WW, why does he have to be so fast?

Rick

Johnson is not in the mix this season. He'll redshirt. He is big strong kid but couldn't play at SMU???????? Unconventional throwing motion is NOT A PROBLEM. ACCURACY IS THE PROBLEM with unconventional throwing motions in most cases, imo.

I am telling you that DODGE is a fanatic for accuracy. Ask Chase Daniel and McElroy (at Alabama) about accuracy. In this system of playing pitch and catch.............you have to bring the ball over ther freakin plate and throw strikes.

The opening pass at the spring game was an easy bubble screen pass that Meager thru into the dirt. Meager did have the two nice deep throws. BUT ALL OF YOU are correct, not one QB showed any kind of stability or consistency. WW had a nice opening drive and then threw the ball like hell on his other series. Phillips and Tune just plain struggled.

It should be a great August of competition. The QB competition is STOUT but so will be the WR positions. IT is a great year to watch and get out to some August practices. We get to see Dibrell this Tuesday at Froggie Stadium on the South and see Penson at LB on the North.

Edited by Dodge2007

Tune came out of the spring as a clear 2nd . Seems with 4 yrs. of playing time left and a strong arm ,he will be a major contender.

Maybe at safety.

Tune came out of the spring as a clear 2nd . Seems with 4 yrs. of playing time left and a strong arm ,he will be a major contender.

Both Tune and Vizza were Texas Football Players of the Week. Add anything to this conversation, no, but I do love to throw out useless trivia. Plus I, like everyone else, am bored and REALLY would like the season to start.