Good News - Josh Alexander Returning

MeanGreen61

From a DMN article.

Alexander to return: Josh Alexander, a senior tackle who missed the end of the 2005 season and all of 2006 with a knee injury, will be back with the Mean Green this fall.

"He is looking a lot better," Dodge said. "I feel pretty good about getting a chance to see what he can do at the beginning of two-a-days."

The return of Alexander would bolster an area where UNT lacks experience. Redshirt freshman Matt Menard and sophomore Robert Peachey are projected to start at left and right tackle, respectively, in the Mean Green's new spread offense.

Alexander did not allow a sack while starting six of the nine games he played in 2005 before suffering the injury.

This is fantastic news! Especially since someone, who is supposed to be "in the know" told me (and others) that Josh may not ever be able to walk again, in a normal manner, much less play football.

If Josh does nothing this season but provide leadership and mentoring, this is still fantastic news!

Edited by SilverEagle

He used a medical last season and will be a senior this year.

MGS profile

This is fantastic news.

Thanks for the link. It says that he has taken a medical redshirt (2006), as well as a redshirt (2003) his first year here. It looks to me that he has only played 2 seasons. Does that mean he can play 2 more seasons? I am glad to here that his serious leg injury apparently healed.

Edited by chrisfisher

Thanks for the link. It says that he has taken a medical redshirt (2006), as well as a redshirt (2003) his first year here. It looks to me that he has only played 2 seasons. Does that mean he can play 2 more seasons? I am glad to here that his serious leg injury apparently healed.

Good question.

I'd be curious to know if he does indeed have another year left.

Bowler is right. Under normal NCAA circumstances, a player has 5 years to exhaust their 4 years of eligibility. This leaves one for that "redshirt" that we're so familiar with. It is rare, but sometimes the NCAA will grant the 6th year due to medical hardship. I think Josh is classified as a senior because he is technically within his 4th year here since using the redshirt in '03; I expect he'll just have to play this season out as it and then apply for the extension/6th year afterwards.

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, or elaborate more on Josh's situation.

Edited by greenminer

Josh Alexander received a medical redshirt last year. He redshirted in 2003. Did not play in 2004. Earned a letter in 2006. So he is a fifth year senior, who has redshirted and had a medical redshirt. He can apply for a sixth year, if he wants one. The chances are he would get it even though he's not an alcoholic from OU.

Can't we all just be happy that Josh is going to be able to walk without a major problem and has a chance to rejoin the football team. This kid was almost disabled for life and it is a miracle he's not.

Can't we all just be happy that Josh is going to be able to walk without a major problem and has a chance to rejoin the football team. This kid was almost disabled for life and it is a miracle he's not.

I had no idea his injury was that serious. I admire his will to play, but it sounds like he shouldn't be back on the field regardless of how well it healed.