Coach Dickey Update

Harry

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Belt football was a hodgepodge of schools in '01, but it's not like most of them were start up. The Blue Raiders were, yes - and oddly enough they were our main competiton.

ULM wasn't a newbie...they went 1A before we did. And it's not like we ever had much success against them in the Southland. They were the constant nemesis.

ULL never even went 1-AA.

ASU - hell we'd played them in the Big West. And been dominated basically.

Idaho - we were snake bitten against that school. Wasn't it 2000 where we lost that game where they completed a 70 yard pass on the next to last play of regulation to set up the winning FG? Vandals consistently beat us in the Kibbie Dome.

NMSU and us had a huge history. They also were not a start up school. We almost always seemed to win though.

Success was far from guaranteed when the league started up. It's revivionist history to say that we shoulda just blown everyone's doors off. The SBC mighta been lousy, but so was the Southland - and we only won that league acouple of times. (and the BW wasn't very good either)

Dickey totally lost it the last 2 seasons(and he deserved to go), but he and his staff deserve alot of credit for their run.

Like most humans, Coach Dickey did some good things, Coach Dickey did some terrible things.

Cerebus, How dare you. Do you not remember the horrific things done in DD's tenure. Let me remind you....the sinking of the Hindenburg, Lincoln's assassination, Hurricane Katrina, and how can we all forget about DD forcing Bob Barker off of The Price Is Right. All directly related to DD and his innability to coach, recruit, and garner notariaty for the NT program.

I for one am appaled that you of all people Cerebus, would come onto this board with this rubbish.

Speaking of the streak, I agree that it will be very tough to ever duplicate because besides being good, sometimes you gotta be real lucky.

Of the 26 game winning streak:

1. NT won 15 of them by 10 points or less.

2. NT won 5 of them by 3 points or less.

I contribute the first two items above to our defense, plain and simple.

3. NT lost to 1-AA Troy in '01. Luckily for us Troy wasn't a conference mate yet or the streak would have ended at 6 and we wouldn't be having this debate.

4. Speaking of Troy, somehow, for the 2004 season the football gods were looking down upon NT again by allowing the Mean Green to duck a very good 7-5 Trojan team that had wins over Mizzouri and Marshall earlier that season, enroute to their first bowl game in school history. And it coudn't have come at a better time, just when the last of Booger and company were no longer here to solidify a once great Mean Green defense.

5. NT has never beaten start-up Florida Atlantic, including the loss to them during that same 2004 season, which again, NT manages another loss to a future conference foe BEFORE it counted because FAU was in their transition season and could not compete for the confererence title. Otherwise the streak would have been 18.

Just think what we could have won in Vegas with some of that?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Having problems with DD long before it became fashionable, I still can't believe how many downgrade NT's accomplishments during the 4 consecutive championships. Weak competition, yes the Belt is and was the lowest rated 1a conference. However, I think it is a definite upgrade from the Southland. A conference which NT never went through a year undefeated, much less winning 26 straight games. I don't believe that the Belt has improved enough that the championship NT teams would not have fared well against current competition. I think NT's drop has a lot more to do with NT getting weaker than it does with the Belt improving. DD's style of recruiting and lack of innovation in the offense when teams learned to focus on DD's single running back dominated offense doomed DD's program.