Texas Vs. Florida

UNTflyer

The only state where I've seen extensive high school football is Texas, so there you go. Florida, California, Oklahoma, Alabama and Pennsylvania can make their cases but there is no other state where the game is lived every day. There are middle-aged men in Texas whose entire lives have been defined by their high school careers. Look at Todd Dodge, the new coach at North Texas. In the early 1980s he was the biggest thing in the state. Schoolboy hero, University of Texas quarterback. He won multiple state titles at Southlake Carroll before moving to Division I-A. Dodge is a fine coach but he might never be as famous or accomplished as for what he did in high school as a coach and player.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10265970

I lived in Florida for 5 years in the late 80's/early 90's, and Florida football, while pretty high profile, still trails Texas HS football (IMO) in terms of the level of interest.

Lakeland (where I lived) has one of the top programs in the state, but it was probably on the level of a big 4A school here as far as fan interest, facilities, etc. when I lived there.

Stupid article for several different reasons. For one ... how can anyone compare Oklahoma high school football to Texas or Florida? I've lived in Oklahoma for the past 5 years and it's nothing compared to Texas and I'm sure Florida.

That may be true, but at least the state of Oklahoma has figured out a way to add a classification so that they can avoid the STUPID way of doing the playoffs that the Texas system currently has.

I lived in Florida for 5 years in the late 80's/early 90's, and Florida football, while pretty high profile, still trails Texas HS football (IMO) in terms of the level of interest.

Lakeland (where I lived) has one of the top programs in the state, but it was probably on the level of a big 4A school here as far as fan interest, facilities, etc. when I lived there.

Agreed. Spent the last 5 years or so in Florida myself, and agree with everything you just said.

There's a LOT of speed in FL, and some ridiculous athletes, but the pageantry and "feel" of the games isn't the same as it is in TX. The games here always come off to me as really raw - a ton of talent, but kind of wild-ass street football with a lot of schools.. the quality of coaching and facilities/equipment isn't what it is in TX, at least from the sample size I've seen in each state.

Agreed. Spent the last 5 years or so in Florida myself, and agree with everything you just said.

There's a LOT of speed in FL, and some ridiculous athletes, but the pageantry and "feel" of the games isn't the same as it is in TX. The games here always come off to me as really raw - a ton of talent, but kind of wild-ass street football with a lot of schools.. the quality of coaching and facilities/equipment isn't what it is in TX, at least from the sample size I've seen in each state.

That sounds consistent with the Northwestern video that was shown/discussed earlier.