Rivals : Committment #10

MeanGreen61

DRC - UNT gets wide receiver committment

10:56 PM CDT on Saturday, July 21, 2007

Hearne wide receiver Forrest Rucker said Saturday that he has orally committed to North Texas.

Rucker (6-5, 207) was named second-team Class 2A All-State by the Texas Sports Writers Association last season and was also a first-team All-District 26-2A pick.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day a recruit in the class of 2008 can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6.

Brett Vito

Per Rivals.com:

Hearne, Texas, receiver Forrest Rucker has made quite the impression everywhere he's gone this summer. He impressed at Oklahoma State, Baylor and at North Texas and also had Miami and Missouri very interested...

COLLEGE CHOICES

North Texas (solid verbal)

TCU

Arkansas

Baylor

Houston

Missouri

Oklahoma State

Texas A&M

Hearne Texas, hometown of former NT standout Broderick McGrew.

Edited by ADLER

Full DRC story

Hearne WR Rucker commits to UNT

09:34 AM CDT on Sunday, July 22, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

North Texas continued to load up on wide receivers for its 2008 recruiting class on Saturday, when Hearne standout Forrest Rucker orally committed to play for the Mean Green.

Rucker (6-5, 207) is the fourth wide receiver to commit to become a member of UNT’s 2008 class. The Mean Green signed six wide receivers in new head coach Todd Dodge’s first recruiting class in February.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 6.

Rucker was named a second-team Class 2A All-State selection by the Texas Sports Writers Association last season. He was also a first-team All-District 26-2A pick as a tight end as a junior.

Rucker said Baylor, Missouri and Texas A&M also offered him a scholarship, while several other programs had shown interest.

Rucker decided to pass on those offers after attending the Mean Green’s one-day camp for incoming seniors on Saturday at the Mean Green Athletic Center.

“I went to a three-day camp at North Texas in the middle of June,” Rucker said. “They told me that I had good size and speed. They sent me the scholarship papers to me after that. I committed after I went to camp today.”

Rucker is the 10th player to commit to the Mean Green for 2008. All 10 players are from Texas.

Rucker became familiar with UNT while playing at Hearne, where former Mean Green receiver Broderick McGrew is the receivers coach.

Rucker also said familiarity was a factor in his decision.

When Rucker arrives at UNT, he will become teammates with Sam Roberson, one of his former district rivals who signed with the Mean Green in February. Roberson played at Somerville, which is also a member of District 26-2A.

Rucker is also friends with Kenny Barrett, a wide receiver from Mart who has also committed to play for UNT beginning in 2008.

Rucker spent part of his high school career as a tight end before moving to receiver later on. UNT recruited Rucker as an outside receiver, where he expects to have plenty of opportunities to catch passes in the spread offense being implemented by Dodge.

His best time in the 40-yard dash is 4.57 seconds.

“There are going to be a whole lot of passes in this offense,” Rucker said. “This is the type of offense I like.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Rucker is also friends with Kenny Barrett, a wide receiver from Mart who has also committed to play for UNT beginning in 2008.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

I really like that comment. Barrett has said it since the beginning how soft his verbal is and with so many WR commitments coming in I'm starting to fear losing him but hopefully this one will help instead of hurting us in keeping him.

Does anyone know which measurements are correct for Forrest, Rivals list him as 6'5" 198 and DCTF list him as 6'6" 225? I think I heard he was playing just WR now, so he might have slimmed down, but DCTF has him under the top 10 TE's and list him as a TE/DE (him as a DE intrigues me). When do these two publications measure these players?