Has Unt Ever Signed A Dctf 1st Team

calvin

Now that Riley has committed and he is a 1st team Dave Campbell's Super Teamer I was wondering if that was the first time we have ever gotten one ? Was Joe Greene a super teamer ? I know Jamario was a 3rd teamer and I think he is the only one that we have signed that I can remember since I have been following the team. So if anyone knows please let us know. Also if you look at the top 300 so far we have committments from a top 15 QB, top 15 RB, and top 15 WR and I dont think Dickey ever did that. Exciting times !!!!

Add another name, Troy Franklin, DL from Celina is a "Top 15" DL prospect

from DCTF top 300 players.

Milton Colllins, from Blooming Grove, was not only first team DCTF, but was the highest ranked running back in the state. He was expected to sign with Texas A&M, but signed instead with North Texas. The news was so shocking that it made the lead story on that night's sports news on the Houston stations. He never really made it at running back though and ended up playing linebacker, if memory serves correct.

Joe Greene did not make the super team. He played on an all-black team, back when many of Texas high schools were still segregated.

We had tailback Reggie Finch from Irving MacArthur in the late 1980's. Corky didn't think Reggie was ready for the Southland so Reggie was placed at Oklahoma for a coulple of seasons. :D

And did nothing. When he transfered to NT he spent most of his time at reserve LB.

I believe J. T. Hollins was also on the DCTF first team. He like Finch was a bounce back from another school but played three years for Fry at NT. He was a wide receiver and one if not the fastest player to ever play for NT.

As far as the Milton Collins signing, it may be hard for most to believe but it was bigger than the Riley commitment. Milton was rated the number one recruit in the state at the time. Fry really could recruit against any school in the state and I still remember him quoting that if he could get any player on the campus at NT he could sign him. It is great to have someone with a similar attitude again running the show.

Milton Colllins, from Blooming Grove, was not only first team DCTF, but was the highest ranked running back in the state. He was expected to sign with Texas A&M, but signed instead with North Texas. The news was so shocking that it made the lead story on that night's sports news on the Houston stations. He never really made it at running back though and ended up playing linebacker, if memory serves correct.

Joe Greene did not make the super team. He played on an all-black team, back when many of Texas high schools were still segregated.

Milton was on the 78 squad, but left school for a couple of years. He came back around the time Corky was hired.

Corky put him at nose tackle.

I believe J. T. Hollins was also on the DCTF first team. He like Finch was a bounce back from another school but played three years for Fry at NT. He was a wide receiver and one if not the fastest player to ever play for NT.

As far as the Milton Collins signing, it may be hard for most to believe but it was bigger than the Riley commitment. Milton was rated the number one recruit in the state at the time. Fry really could recruit against any school in the state and I still remember him quoting that if he could get any player on the campus at NT he could sign him. It is great to have someone with a similar attitude again running the show.

I was going to post that I seem to remember that the best that J.T. Hollins ever did was 9.7 in the 100 yrd dash. This link http://www.texassports.com/mainpages/txr/s...alltime_mc.html

shows that he ran a 9.67 at a track meet in 1974 when he was attending Ranger Jr. College. He must have transferred to NT that summer because he was the leading receiver in 1974 27/374/13.9.

Does anyone know how a 9.67 in 100 yards translates into our current 100 meters?

I was going to post that I seem to remember that the best that J.T. Hollins ever did was 9.7 in the 100 yrd dash. This link http://www.texassports.com/mainpages/txr/s...alltime_mc.html

shows that he ran a 9.67 at a track meet in 1974 when he was attending Ranger Jr. College. He must have transferred to NT that summer because he was the leading receiver in 1974 27/374/13.9.

Does anyone know how a 9.67 in 100 yards translates into our current 100 meters?

Actually he was credited with a 9.4 100 yard dash time in high school. Although the times were even more unreliable than they are now. The only three I can think of that could have been faster were Woodson, Bridges and Shanklin.

Edited by GrandGreen

Actually he was created with a 9.4 100 yard dash time in high school. Although the times were even more unreliable than they are now. The only three I can think of that could have been faster were Woodson, Bridges and Shanklin.

Excellent point.

Hollins was fast, but (IMHO) I've seen faster receivers at North Texas....Broderick McGrew is one example.

And did nothing. When he transfered to NT he spent most of his time at reserve LB.

Reg had injury issues even before he transferred here. The highlight of Reg's collegiate career - he's the guy OU cornerback Jerry Parks handed his gun to in the dorm parking lot after shooting offensive lineman Zarak Peters. Reg said he had just come back to the dorms and saw Parks. Parks just handed him them gun. Crazy. Reg walked up on the incident that brought Switzer down at OU. He hadn't even signed with OU yet and was visiting his brother.

Wish Reg had been healthy here. I was a student when he transferred. He was a great tailback at MacArthur.

DMN on Finch signing with OU way back in 1988:

MacArthur running back Reggie Finch, The News' top area football recruit and Offensive Player of The Year, said Sunday he will sign a letter of intent with Oklahoma when the national signing period begins Wednesday.

Finch, who rushed for 1,533 yards and scored 117 points as a senior, would join his brother Lonnie, a junior defensive back, at OU. But Reggie said a factor in his decision was Sooners coaches not taking for granted that he would follow his brother to Oklahoma.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Reg had injury issues even before he transferred here. The highlight of Reg's collegiate career - he's the guy OU cornerback Jerry Parks handed his gun to in the dorm parking lot after shooting offensive lineman Zarak Peters. Reg said he had just come back to the dorms and saw Parks. Parks just handed him them gun. Crazy. Reg walked up on the incident that brought Switzer down at OU. He hadn't even signed with OU yet and was visiting his brother.

Wish Reg had been healthy here. I was a student when he transferred. He was a great tailback at MacArthur.

DMN on Finch signing with OU way back in 1988:

MacArthur running back Reggie Finch, The News' top area football recruit and Offensive Player of The Year, said Sunday he will sign a letter of intent with Oklahoma when the national signing period begins Wednesday.

Finch, who rushed for 1,533 yards and scored 117 points as a senior, would join his brother Lonnie, a junior defensive back, at OU. But Reggie said a factor in his decision was Sooners coaches not taking for granted that he would follow his brother to Oklahoma.

Maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but quite a few Sooners used that excuse in the past. :huh:

Maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but quite a few Sooners used that excuse in the past. :huh:

I can't tell you how many times I've innocently walked into a dorm room after a shooting and somebody just hands me a gun. What, this hasn't happened to you?

I can't tell you how many times I've innocently walked into a dorm room after a shooting and somebody just hands me a gun. What, this hasn't happened to you?

He wasn't in the dorm, he was in the parking lot. The shooting occurred in the dorm. Reg saw Parks as he was walking out of the dorm.

Parks only did three months in jail for the shooting...then finished his career at the University of Houston. Zarak Peters finished at Texas A&I.