Caddo Mills Receiver Picks U N T

MeanGreen61

Caddo Mills receiver picks UNT

11:40 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Caddo Mills wide receiver Desmond Brigham wanted nothing more than to stay in Texas to play college football.

The fact that he found that opportunity close to home at North Texas was an added bonus. Brigham (6-2, 180) said Wednesday that he has orally committed to play for the Mean Green beginning in 2008.

Brigham is the ninth player to commit to become a member of UNT's 2008 recruiting class. Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6.

"North Texas is close to home, has good coaches and what really caught my eye is the family environment they have there," Brigham said. "I wanted to stay in state instead of going far away from home. I like the decision I made and feel like I can make history when I get there."

Brigham had plenty of options when it came time to decide where he wanted to play in college. Arkansas, Iowa State, Missouri and Louisiana-Monroe all offered Brigham a scholarship after his standout junior season when he caught 42 passes for 742 yards and seven touchdowns.

Brigham was a first-team All-District 12-2A selection last season and had an even better campaign as a sophomore when he caught 54 passes.

Back-to-back solid seasons helped Brigham catch the attention of college coaches, even though he plays at a small school. Brigham said he will become the first football player from Caddo Mills to sign a Division I-A scholarship.

"This is a challenge I am ready for," Brigham said of making the jump to Division I from a Class 2A high school. "I want to prove myself to everyone who says I can't do it."

The opportunity to play in the spread offense new head coach Todd Dodge is installing at UNT convinced Brigham the school was the right place to spend his college career.

"The tempo of the offense is something that I love from a receiver standpoint," Brigham said. "What receiver would turn down an opportunity to play in an offense like that?"

Edited by MeanGreen61