Possible Final Four

eulesseagle

I saw this on PTI yesterday. They seemed to think that this was a huge step in coming to a playoff system. I couldnt be more excited. The problem that they will have is when Boise St goes 12-0 and doesnt get into the final four. you will end up with the same argument. of course this wont happen nearly as often as it does now.

I saw this on PTI yesterday. They seemed to think that this was a huge step in coming to a playoff system. I couldnt be more excited. The problem that they will have is when Boise St goes 12-0 and doesnt get into the final four. you will end up with the same argument. of course this wont happen nearly as often as it does now.

The issue with Boise State is still their schedule. Going 13-0 with the schedule they had last year, while quite an accomplishment, didn't impress as much as a 13-1 Florida.

So does this mean the "haves" will now get more? A <insert BCS conference of choice> team will get to go to two major bowls in one year, spreading the money around even less?

For now, yes. But I believe this is the first step towards an expanded football playoff system that will include an automatic berth to all conference champions.

My plan is as follows:

All conferences would be required to hold a championship game (essentially creating a field of 24 playoff teams). These "elimination round" games would rpelace the minor bowls (GMAC, Meineke, Liberty, international, etc.)

Then, the top 4 nationally ranked conference champions would be given a bye for the first round of the tournament with the bottom eight playing the first round. This makes 11 games, and they can take the place of the major bowls (Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Cotton, Citrus, Gator, Cotton, Outback, Peach) and finishes with the first NCAA National Football Championship Game.