Houston & Nmsu Denied Ncaa Certification This Year

ADLER

Here's an article from the Montgomery Advisor where they interview the recent president of the University of Houston. Obviously the Cougars and Sand Aggies still compete and I haven't heard about any kind of pending sanctions. What does denial of NCAA certification really mean?

Montgomery Advisor

Gogue welcomes athletic change

By Jay G. Tate

AUBURN -- Auburn's new President Jay Gogue knows athletics are an important part of the university's community. But he doesn't expect to become much more than a loyal fan during the coming years.

Gogue said his biggest athletic endeavor during his days at the University of Houston, where he spent the previous four years, included short walks around the Cougars' football stadium on game day.

"I tried to give away tickets to the game. There were several times when my supply was well ahead of demand," said Gogue, a 1969 Auburn graduate. "People in Houston wake up on Saturday morning and then decide if they're going to a game. People at Auburn made their plans a year ago. I won't be struggling to give away tickets anymore."

Gogue will inherit an athletic program that is among the most financially stable in America. When outgoing president Ed Richardson took office in early 2004, the department had a fund balance of less than $1 million.

Nearly every dollar that athletics earned back then was spent by season's end.

Things have changed. Richardson and athletic director Jay Jacobs have cut costs and restructured the department, making it more profitable.

The department currently has a balance of $5 million, and that number is expected to rise by $1 million per year over the next three years.

"We're headed in the right direction now," Jacobs said. "I think (Gogue) will be able to rest easy knowing that things are in order, we're building our customer base and doing things that benefit both Auburn and the bottom line."

Gogue's travels haven't always coincided with athletic success. Houston and New Mexico State, where Gogue served as president from 2000-03, are two of only a handful of schools that were denied NCAA certification this year.

The NCAA doesn't publicly address its reasons for withholding certification. However, Gogue said Houston's athletic department is embroiled in Title IX issues and the NCAA wasn't satisfied with the school's efforts to create more opportunities for female athletes.

"That probably is a fair criticism," Gogue said. "(Athletics) is supposed to mirror the makeup of your school and Houston is 58 percent women. It's a difficult situation."

As far as NMSU's problems, Gogue said: "I'm surprised they're not on probation for something."

Gogue's primary association with athletics has surrounded budgetary planning. Though Auburn's department generates its $72 million budget though receipts, Houston and New Mexico State's programs required significant financial assistance.

He appreciates Auburn's situation.

"As a president, I have not mixed in the operation of the athletics program," Gogue said. "I'll do what I can to support them, meeting with booster clubs and going to games. I'm a fan. I attend. Historically, I let athletics people handle athletics."

Certification is a self-study, with outside peer review, of the overall performance and compliance of the athletics program. It has to be done every 10 years.

It's different than an enforcement case involving eligibility; this is more of an audit.

If the NCAA withholds certification, it means it is not satisfied with the university's report.

Here's the bylaws language:

6.3.1.1 Athletics Certification Requirement. Effective Date: Aug 01, 2008

The self-study requirement set forth in Constitution 6.3.1 shall consist of the completion of, at least once every 10 years, a prescribed institutional self-study verified and evaluated through external peer review. Subjects per Constitution 6.3.1 covered by the self-study shall be grouped as follows: (Adopted: 1/16/93 effective 1/1/94; Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, beginning with the institution's second athletics certification cycle)

(a) Governance and commitment to rules compliance;

(B) Academic integrity; and

© Gender, diversity and student-athlete well-being.

As far as NMSU's problems, Gogue said: "I'm surprised they're not on probation for something."

Wow, wonder what he saw they had done?

I didn't realize UH was 58% female. What is NT now? Do athletic ships have to reflect an exact percentage of makeup?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Wow, wonder what he saw they had done?

I didn't realize UH was 58% female. What is NT now? Do athletic ships have to reflect an exact percentage of makeup?

According to the Equity in Athletics Report for last year, NT is 55% female. The scholarships do not have to be an exact percentage but they cannot be flagrant. You cannot alter the current percentage in favor of men. So, basically, if you add a men's sport you must also add enough women's scholarships so that the approved percentage does not change.

According to the Equity in Athletics Report for last year, NT is 55% female. The scholarships do not have to be an exact percentage but they cannot be flagrant. You cannot alter the current percentage in favor of men. So, basically, if you add a men's sport you must also add enough women's scholarships so that the approved percentage does not change.

And the biggest problem is this area is every single school in the country that has football has to work like crazy to offset football's 85 scholarships. I think the rule is good in its basis, but the NCAA really needs to figure out a way to work this out without most school having to cut most men's sports and then having to add every olympic sport for women to meet the requirement. NCAA women's tetherball anyone?