Thread: Culture At S M U

MeanGreen61

A hoity-toity exchange on the snob board.

"One reason that we have trouble getting top recruits has to do with the culture at SMU. Let's face it, SMU is mostly full of white, affluent people. Most of the top recruits around the nation are black and come from lower/middle class families. Many simply don't feel at home at a place like SMU. The recruits are high school kids, and might be influenced by something as simple as a shortage of girls that they would want to date. I realize this scenario is not always the case, but it does hold a lot of validity and might have something to do with why recruits turn us down."

CULTURE AT SMU

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=24140

---Maybe but it also about not wanting to be TREATED as 2ed or 3rd class citizens and being looked down on as the "hired help" by a lot of the student body... Even a few students that I know who went there were not all that "wealthy" but wanted to act as if they were and still had an attitude problem. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

"One reason that we have trouble getting top recruits has to do with the culture at SMU. Let's face it, SMU is mostly full of white, affluent people. Most of the top recruits around the nation are black and come from lower/middle class families. Many simply don't feel at home at a place like SMU. The recruits are high school kids, and might be influenced by something as simple as a shortage of girls that they would want to date. I realize this scenario is not always the case, but it does hold a lot of validity and might have something to do with why recruits turn us down."

CULTURE AT SMU

That's why Duke basketball and Virginia football never get good recruits.

I hope Lavar Arrington and Fifty Cent show up and hooks it all on up with all their women and/or Justin Willis.

"One reason that we have trouble getting top recruits has to do with the culture at SMU. Let's face it, SMU is mostly full of white, affluent people. Most of the top recruits around the nation are black and come from lower/middle class families. Many simply don't feel at home at a place like SMU.

God, another future Democrat.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Well, there you have it. This young man's either a year removed from high School or a year removed from SMU so he must be the ultimate authority. I don't even recall a snob that agreed with him.

I don't know their recruiters or their recruiting situation but I going to take a wild guess is that it's one winning season (6-5) and one break even season in the last EIGHTEEN years that is a bigger reason for losing recruits. As to African-Americans, SMU's top quarterback, running back, wide receiver and defensive back are all black. It didn't seem to scare them off. I'm not that familiar with the ethnicity of SMU's squad but I have a feeling that it's not a lot different than the makeup of most Division 1-A squads.

Really, how far do we have to go to find something distasteful about SMU? Does it really make you feel better?

I love gratuitous shots at Democrats and liberals here, as if the Mean Green was for Republicans only. I'd say more, but I have to go protect the abortion rights of gay whales. Give peace a chance!

I love gratuitous shots at Democrats and liberals here, as if the Mean Green was for Republicans only.

Politics and Religion. Leave'em alone, you'll never get anywhere with those arguements. He never said the MG Nation was only Republican. It was just a cheap shot. Leave it at that, you pot smoking fascist.

Edited by GangGreen

I agree with Quoner & GE1, I could care less about the inner politics and our perceived image of the Poontangs. They'll only piss on your campfire if you let them do it.

I have never even visited their board and really don't ever want to. If you know that it's a shit sandwich, why eat it? Besides that, why offer a bite to everyone else?

Edited by GangGreen

Well, there you have it. This young man's either a year removed from high School or a year removed from SMU so he must be the ultimate authority. I don't even recall a snob that agreed with him.

I don't know their recruiters or their recruiting situation but I going to take a wild guess is that it's one winning season (6-5) and one break even season in the last EIGHTEEN years that is a bigger reason for losing recruits. As to African-Americans, SMU's top quarterback, running back, wide receiver and defensive back are all black. It didn't seem to scare them off. I'm not that familiar with the ethnicity of SMU's squad but I have a feeling that it's not a lot different than the makeup of most Division 1-A squads.

Really, how far do we have to go to find something distasteful about SMU? Does it really make you feel better?

GrayEagleOne and I have known each other as friends and fellow NT alums for a long time--in fact, I can't believe just how fast all the time has flown right on by. At one time I, too, (like many of you who post now) was an NT Young Gun Alum and GEO was probably in his late 30's to 40's during that time. As he and a few others on this board would tell you, I went after SMU with both barrels smoking and I would hold no quarter for anything Red & Blue or anyone that resided off Mockingbird Lane, Dallas, Texas--better known as "The Hilltop" to many. Many, many, many "Letters to the Editors" that I sent to (then) all 3 area major newspapers every once in a while would focus on what I felt was the condescending nature of some schools in the Southwest.

JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE OF HISTORY WITH THIS: My first true initial dis-like for SMU actually began when former SMU AD Dick Davis (who played for the 'Stangs during the Doak Walker era) was on one of those old KRLD Sports Central radio call-in shows--back then hosted by Al Wisk. Quite frankly during one particular evening on that radio show, I didn't like much of anything AD Dick Davis was saying directly about NT as well as what he seemed to be saying between the lines as far as SMU playing NT(SU) in anything whether it be ping-pong or NCAA D1 football.

Long story short---------I have been as consistent a basher of SMU thru the decades as anyone connected with North Texas, that is until mostl recently...............that is, when my own personal light bulb (finally) turned on to the fact that it was really a waste of time to do any of this bashing toward SMU at all. We have (rarely) at UNT had much to back up anything that would have suggested that we were even half a light year ahead of anything they were doing and particularly at a higher profile; after all, why brag that we are ranked #100 (out of 119 D1-A school) in NCAA D1-A football while they are ranked #101 or worse? :(

THE LIGHT BULB THAT SHINED BRIGHTLY ABOUT ALL THIS GAVE ME THIS REVELATION :rolleyes: .............and that was that we, too, were being just as snob'ish with our own attitudes toward them (in a middle class sort of way) as we know a hardy handful of them have been toward us forever. In a an old cowboy western, some might merely call all this concerning SMU and UNT a good old fashioned Mexican stand-off, that is, no one really significatly progressing or doing something much more grandiose than the other.

THIS IS HOW UNT WILL GET THE SMU's, TCU's, UH's, UTEP's, RICE's,, etc, etc, etc, UN-DIVIDED ATTENTION AND RESPECT QUICKER THAN ANYTHING BECAUSE WE SHOULD ALREADY KNOW BY NOW THAT (verbal) STICKS & (verbal) STONES WILL JUST NOT BREAK ANY OF THIS GROUPS BONES............

IMHO..........A Formula To Gain The Aforementioned Schools Utmost Respect & Ultimate Acceptance (even in a conference with them if we would still be so interested in that):

(1) Build a football palace subtantially larger than most of the aforementioned schools. Most of you by now know what my ideal capacity for a new stadium at the Mean Green Village would be. If we build one the same size as theirs, then we just blend in with those we sorta' need to impress and excel above?

(2) Then start averaging about 30-35,000 real butts in seats in our football venue (and even when we are playing lower profile name schools such as most of the ones we play the majority of the time).

(3) Beat some high profile OOC games (even 1, 2 or 3 of them that are ranked in the Top 25 (which means we must start scheduling "now" such schools).

(4) You are more than welcome to list what you feel I have left off of this list.

Now during SMU/UNT Game Week in a few weeks from now, the usual banter will be cussed & discussed that leads up to such a local rivalry type of game as it will be (and trust me, SMU'ers will want this game VERY BAD), but during the other 51 weeks that we aren't playing SMU, let's get on with our business at hand of trying to meet some of the above suggested criteria along with ones some of you might want to add to the list.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Politics and Religion. Leave'em alone, you'll never get anywhere with those arguements. He never said the MG Nation was only Republican. It was just a cheap shot. Leave it at that, you pot smoking fascist.

:-). That's a low blow. It's medicinal.

CULTURE AT SMU

A shortage of girls to date? This poster has clearly never heard of "The White Prize"

SMU is a rich, southern, business focused institution in between Highland and University Park. There are look-out post that make sure liberals don't come within a mile and a half of campus. Sorry to break it to you lifer but this guy loves his gun, hates his mexicans, but not as much as his gays, has a man crush on Bill O'Reilly and has a life size cut out of the nutty b!tch Ann Coulter in his bedroom...perhaps with a nudie pic of her under his pillow

There are look-out post that make sure liberals don't come within a mile and a half of campus. Sorry to break it to you lifer but this guy loves his gun, hates his mexicans, but not as much as his gays, has a man crush on Bill O'Reilly and has a life size cut out of the nutty b!tch Ann Coulter in his bedroom...perhaps with a nudie pic of her under his pillow

LMAO!!! :lol:

A shortage of girls to date? This poster has clearly never heard of "The White Prize"

SMU is a rich, southern, business focused institution in between Highland and University Park. There are look-out post that make sure liberals don't come within a mile and a half of campus. Sorry to break it to you lifer but this guy loves his gun, hates his mexicans, but not as much as his gays, has a man crush on Bill O'Reilly and has a life size cut out of the nutty b!tch Ann Coulter in his bedroom...perhaps with a nudie pic of her under his pillow

A Nude Ann Coulter, I think Im going to Hurl