Need A Dodge Nt Football Fix?

NT80

On the linked page below you will see a short 15 second video sampler box then blank screen. Below that box click "Watch Sample Video" and it gives you various download options for events including the entire Spring Game . The offense starts out slow, then lights it up....

http://www.meangreensports.com//ViewArticl...p;ATCLID=206480

Edited by NT80

Thanks for the heads up. That was great. George and Hank do a better job broadcasting than most guys on TV.

I do have to disagree with them on one point. At the end of the broadcast they said the four months until the Oklahoma game would go by quickly. It couldn't be going any slower than it is. :(

I finally got some time to rewatch the scrimmage and jotted some things down that stood out to me. In my very unprofessional oppinion:

1. I love this feature of MGS.com. It gives me a chance to watch the scrimmage with a closer attention to detail than I saw during the actual game. But should we offer this up to our opponents?

2. The starting O Line: LT Mathew Menard(Freshman), LG Tyler Bailey(Soph), C Kelvin Drake(Soph), RT Esteban Santiago(SilverEagle smiles)(Freshman), RG Robert Peachey(Soph).

A couple of things that stood out to me about this very young group, Jeremiah "Johnson" Chapman gave the left side fits all day. I'm not holding my breath that this will be the starting 5 in September. Esteban Santiago is very, very quick even though Montey Stevenson beat him very badly on one play down on the goal line on the first O scoring drive. Stevenson had two tackles for losses that really gives me hope that he can do that to the other guys come game day.

3. O gets to the goal line with the help of an inteference call on the goal line. SPJMo made a great cut back to the right for the score a few plays later. Looks like the FR we all fell in love with. He didn't play much during the scrimmage, but as easy as he made that run look he didn't need to.

4. Cam Montgomery is easily the back up to SPJMo. And should SPJMo's dredded HamMonster rear it's ugly face again I expect CM to be the starter. He's very tall for a back but looks like he enjoys sticking his nose in and getting those hard yards up the middle.

5. At the 33:30 mark of the scrimmage, It's the Woody Willson show. He ends up being the leading rusher in the game. He's this close to being the starter if he can just show some consistency and calm the hell down. The guy has the jets and turns on a dime that reminds me of Micheal Vick. If he could simply learn this system, calm down and consistently make the reads and throws then he could be scary good in this system.

6. Fentriss schools our best DB, Dominique Green all day long. Can't wait to see him next season.

7. At the 38:00 mark a beautiful shot of the large NT Battle flag flying off in the distance at the top of the stadium. Whoever put it up there had a great idea. We need one on each corner of the stadium. :D

8. Meager looked great all day long with 193 yards and 3 TD's and is easily the starter going into August. Great strike thrown to Kory Washington at the 45:50 mark. Meager throws a nice fade to the corner for a TD.

9. Nathan Tune hit Jonathan Ieans for a long strike at the 50:40 mark.........Say what? Jonathan "I'm lower than a well diggers boot in the QB rotation" Ieans out catching passes? Are you freakin telling me that there's actually a use in college football for a 6-5, 230 guy with soft hands? Considering the fact that our past HC had to actually be coerced by K Mart into signing the current recieving record holder I can't help but think how much offensive talent has been wasted over the years on our rosters?

10. At the 58:00 mark, Meager hit Casey Fitzgerald for a long pass in which CF was partially tackled but never down and turns it into a 71 yard TD. Awesome!

11. Phillips hit Fentriss for a sweet gain to the outside against Dominque Green at the 1:01 mark. All four QB's have shown me that they can throw quite well at times, when given time.

12. Woody goes 3 and out at the 1:08 mark.

13. Meager hits Fitsgerald for DM's third TD at the 1:12 mark. Very nice. Danny appears to fit well in this system and start but I expect WW to give him a good run.

As much fun as next years August' workouts are going to be at the QB position I think we won't be dissapointed this year. I'm still unsure of the O line's but they seemed to be rotating three different groups, and maybe 4 at times. I'm hoping the final 5 will get it done. If they can take up where the "Green" team O line left off last year we should be alright even though we will be without Banks.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

5. At the 33:30 mark of the scrimmage, It's the Woody Willson show. He ends up being the leading rusher in the game. He's this close to being the starter if he can just show some consistency and calm the hell down. The guy has the jets and turns on a dime that reminds me of Micheal Vick. If he could simply learn this system, calm down and consistently make the reads and throws then he could be scary good in this system.

Be careful. This goes against everything that those "in the know" on this board have been preaching.

Quick quiz (for anyone) Who was the last QB of color that started a full season for North Texas.

Wasn't it Joe Washington's little brother?

Be careful. This goes against everything that those "in the know" on this board have been preaching.

As you say “those in the know” think that Woody needs to be moved to another position. Woody is a spectacular talent that needs to be on the field as much as possible. He is a playmaker, is it at QB, I don’t know, but NT needs his ability on the field as much as possible. Is that at QB, RB, WR or DB? That is for Todd Dodge and his staff to decide. I hope this issue will, die a peaceful death once a decision is made on the starting QB, be it Woody, Phillips, Tune, Meager or Vizza. Heck, I’m for moving anybody and everybody to another position, if it will help the MEAN GREEN win. And from knowing you, I hope that is your opinion as well.

So I'm not accused of hiding behind an internet board name

Brett Tulloss

As you say “those in the know” think that Woody needs to be moved to another position. Woody is a spectacular talent that needs to be on the field as much as possible. He is a playmaker, is it at QB, I don’t know, but NT needs his ability on the field as much as possible. Is that at QB, RB, WR or DB? That is for Todd Dodge and his staff to decide. I hope this issue will, die a peaceful death once a decision is made on the starting QB, be it Woody, Phillips, Tune, Meager or Vizza. Heck, I’m for moving anybody and everybody to another position, if it will help the MEAN GREEN win. And from knowing you, I hope that is your opinion as well.

So I'm not accused of hiding behind an internet board name

Brett Tulloss

Dodge has decided that Meager so-far is the starter. Since he is "in the know" then it appears Woody has to find time as backup or another position.

I believe Woody has the athletic ability to be great in the spread offense.

Meager looked good, but I can't help but think that Woody might be the man. Don't forget even in last year's crappy season, I think he threw for about 60% completion rate... couple that with his excellent scrambling ability, good height, and Dodge's expert tutelage and you may have one hell of a QB. Whoever gets the job, I 100% trust in Dodge's decision. Grooming QB's into big time players is his specialty.

To me, Meager looks good when he's in a vacuum. When protection is there, WRs have a little separation and run good routes, etc. He made some nice throws on wide open WRs deep, and seemed to execute as the "system QB" on quick passes to the flats. Very efficient, very robotic. That being said, it STILL looks to me like he kind of "shotputs" the thing, and when there's ANY disturbance in the play, panic seems to set in.

Wilson, to me, looked the best in the spring game. Admittedly, Dodge knows a hell of a lot more than any of us, and it's just a small sample size -- but the ability to create when things break down, plus what I think is very underrated arm strength and accuracy, is hard to pass up. Assuming WW has a good command of the offense and limits mistakes, I think he's the best talent.

Time will tell. Much depends on the OL and the running game.

To me, Meager looks good when he's in a vacuum. When protection is there, WRs have a little separation and run good routes, etc. He made some nice throws on wide open WRs deep, and seemed to execute as the "system QB" on quick passes to the flats. Very efficient, very robotic. That being said, it STILL looks to me like he kind of "shotputs" the thing, and when there's ANY disturbance in the play, panic seems to set in.

Wilson, to me, looked the best in the spring game. Admittedly, Dodge knows a hell of a lot more than any of us, and it's just a small sample size -- but the ability to create when things break down, plus what I think is very underrated arm strength and accuracy, is hard to pass up. Assuming WW has a good command of the offense and limits mistakes, I think he's the best talent.

Time will tell. Much depends on the OL and the running game.

Dodge's offense is based on passing. Meager had much more passing offense in the spring game than Woody. Woody had more rushing yards than any other, many scrambles. Dodge watched each of them in all practices and deemed Meager the guy (so far). Does it all start over in fall camp? Adding Vizza to the mix will reduce reps for someone. Who's out?

Dodge's offense is based on passing. Meager had much more passing offense in the spring game than Woody. Woody had more rushing yards than any other, many scrambles. Dodge watched each of them in all practices and deemed Meager the guy (so far). Does it all start over in fall camp? Adding Vizza to the mix will reduce reps for someone. Who's out?

Well, I don't really agree that Dodge's offense is BASED on passing.... I think it's a harmony between the run and the pass that make the thing effective. If one aspect isn't working, the other is a lot more likely to get shut down.

That being said, I think the "much more passing offense" Meager had than Wilson from the spring game was really a result of two long passes to Fitzgerald (who looked great), both well thrown balls with no pressure and an open receiver. Again, not bashing DM, just saying that he seems to me to be a solid "perfect world" QB. Wilson, to me, also made some good throws (if not as many deep ones), and fit the ball into a few more tight spots. I admit my bias, I'm completely enamored with the running QB and think it's maybe the most lethal weapon a team can possess, especially a team with a new system and questions up front.

I just can't let go of the fact that there are times and games (see SMU last year) where we can probably say "Man, we don't pull that off without Woody", and no one else on the roster at that position has shown that factor yet. I'm an "upside" guy, and I just see WW's ceiling as leaps and bounds above our other options (hard to judge Tune, he's SO raw). That being said, if this offense is really as much of a faceless, well-oiled machine as we've heard, maybe the steady caretaker type (DM at his best) is what we need. TD knows a lot more than we do.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're right. All indications are that DM's the man, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't under center in Norman. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vizza or Wilson by the time conference play rolls around either.

I purposefully didn't include Vizza in my analysis. I don't know much about him except that he is a big, strong QB with a history of accurate passing and time spent in a spread offense. Who knows, maybe he'll beat out both Meager and Wilson. If DD was still head coach, I'd say we are in a bad spot with no clear front runner; however, I fully trust that Dodge will have this properly sorted and have an efficient QB read to go by the start of the season.