Would Todd Dodge Sign A Better Quarterback?

Cooley

Mesquite's Kelly Page was clearly the best quarterback I saw all of last year (in the metroplex) He is also big enough to play at a very high level at any D1 school. (imho) He would also be a perfect fit for the spread offense that Texas Tech fans have come to enjoy over the years, with record passing yardage.

Would TD recruit Page (or another top caliber QB), now that his son has committed? A better question would be if more talented quarterback prospects will seriously consider UNT; under the aforementioned circumstances?

Though I'm happy that young Riley has elected to come to UNT. We've benefited already locally within the media. I do, however, wonder if his pending signing will deter better QB prospects from UNT over the next 3-4 years. (that could make us better faster)

Yes, I do prefer equally or more talented prototype QB's that have the potential to play on Sundays. No, we have not had one of these types in a long long time. I can only hope, right? Hopefully young Riley will develop into a good Sun Belt QB that helps bring excitement to Denton. Yes, I realize that we have to crawl before we can walk.

We've watched bad football for at least the last two years. Like many, my ass is getting old too! I would love to see this program on ESPN on a regular basis (across I-35) where most college fans will come to know us as the University of North Texas in Denton, Tx. Additionally, where teams are afraid to play us or at least lined up to play in Denton.

Anyway, just my idle thoughts, comments and BS for the day.

We've got two good quarterbacks Vizza and Dodge. Others have an opinion that Page is not better than Dodge and even Vizza. Rivals & Scout both list him as a 2-star pro style QB. I doubt that TD would pass up a quarterback that he thought would be better for the team that the one's we have. He does have a lot riding on this job with his reputation and the expectations people have for him.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Others have an opinion that Page is not better than Dodge and even Vizza. Rivals & Scout both list him as a 2-star pro style QB. I doubt that TD would pass up a quarterback that he thought would be better for the team that the one's we have. He does have a lot riding on this job with his reputation and the expectations people have for him.

So let's simplify it just a bit. Let's say TD had the opportunity to sign Vince Young or perhaps the next Vince Young in Terrell Pryor, a Rivals five-star, 6'6", 220 lbs, dual-threat QB that runs a 4.4 40 and has a 3.4 GPA?? Do I really have to answer that question?? I think even DD would know the answer to that one.

I'm not the least bit worried about the notion that signing Riley Dodge would somehow limit our QB prospects in future recruiting classes. In fact, I think it will have the opposite effect, IF Riley or Vizza is as successful at UNT as either of them was in high school. Why?? Because every HS QB wants to be given the best opportunity to be successful at the next level and showcase their talents. Seeing a successful QB at UNT will only make more quality QBs want to come to UNT to savor some of that same success. Jevan Snead and Ryan Perilloux aside, most good athletes believe they are the best and look forward to proving that fact to their peers and coaches. One of the state of Texas' top QB recruits for 2007 is G.J. Kinne. Knowing Colt McCoy is a Sophomore and firmly establised as UT's starting QB, he still chose to go to UT over Baylor, where is father is the LB coach and where he possibly could have vied for playing time this year.

Now, I don't think we'll actively recruit another QB for the 2008 recruting class (becuase we have other needs) but I certainly don't think TD is going to turn away quality QBs because he doesn't want the to put the pressure of competition on Riley.

I hope you guys are right about TD not caring about bringing in other top QB's. If this is the true, then he really should go after Kelly Page. (For all the reason's I mentioned earlier).

MeanGreen61, I personally don't waste my time with ratings and stars from Rivals, Scout.com or any other recruiting service. No disrespect to you or anyone else, but these services, in my opinion, are for the fans who have never seen these kid play. As you know, winning the recruiting wars is just as important in the off season as winning on the field or court during the season. Die hards fans and alums pay out the *ss for these services. To reward their subscribers, these services generally reward their fan base with higher rankings/stars on their recruits. I'm also convinced that many of these so called scouts have never seen the kids play and often list inaccurate height, times and weight on a consistent basis.

Eulesseagle, you asked if two state championship QB was good enough (in the spread offense)

Here's my expectation:

Many older alums will remember that in 1976 we were ranked as high as #16 in the country. (Football)

In basketball, we were a legitimate top 50 program. We arguably had the #1 program in Texas. As a student at the time, this was and continues to be my point of reference in terms of where I'd like to see the program in the very near future.

I don't mean to knock a player or recruit! As a fan and alum, I would like to see kids that can help us get back to where we've been and possibly surpass past accomplishments (with much greater resources) I remain unimpressed with 4 Sun Belt Championships during the start up years of the conference. Anyone can blast me all you want but it want change how I feel. In my opinion, we are not making progress to be competitive in the belt.

I like the direction we are heading in. I only asked the question (in this thread) to gain a comfort level that we seek the very best and every opportunity. Just say no to mediocrity!!!

Go Mean Green

Cooley (*****)

Of course he would! Are you kidding me? His job is not to play his son or Vizza, his job is to put the best guy on the field that he thinks gives our team the best chance of winning. Maybe that's Riley, maybe it's Vizza, or maybe it's someone we havent even thought about yet. The OU game can't get here soon enough...

I hope you guys are right about TD not caring about bringing in other top QB's. If this is the true, then he really should go after Kelly Page. (For all the reason's I mentioned earlier).

MeanGreen61, I personally don't waste my time with ratings and stars from Rivals, Scout.com or any other recruiting service. No disrespect to you or anyone else, but these services, in my opinion, are for the fans who have never seen these kid play. As you know, winning the recruiting wars is just as important in the off season as winning on the field or court during the season. Die hards fans and alums pay out the *ss for these services. To reward their subscribers, these services generally reward their fan base with higher rankings/stars on their recruits. I'm also convinced that many of these so called scouts have never seen the kids play and often list inaccurate height, times and weight on a consistent basis.

Eulesseagle, you asked if two state championship QB was good enough (in the spread offense)

Here's my expectation:

Many older alums will remember that in 1976 we were ranked as high as #16 in the country. (Football)

In basketball, we were a legitimate top 50 program. We arguably had the #1 program in Texas. As a student at the time, this was and continues to be my point of reference in terms of where I'd like to see the program in the very near future.

I don't mean to knock a player or recruit! As a fan and alum, I would like to see kids that can help us get back to where we've been and possibly surpass past accomplishments (with much greater resources) I remain unimpressed with 4 Sun Belt Championships during the start up years of the conference. Anyone can blast me all you want but it want change how I feel. In my opinion, we are not making progress to be competitive in the belt.

I like the direction we are heading in. I only asked the question (in this thread) to gain a comfort level that we seek the very best and every opportunity. Just say no to mediocrity!!!

Go Mean Green

Cooley (*****)

Cooley, I used Rivals & Scout as examples of opinions that differ with yours and I'm well aware of how the star system works, thanks. Personally I am very pleased that we have two incoming quarterbacks that earmed MVP honors in their respective high school divisision & beleive that we have more pressing needs than another quarterback. I'm more concerned at this point with recruiting & building a solid offensive line.

Edited by MeanGreen61

---This depends on how the 2007 season goes...... plus needs for the future. There may be other positions where the need is more severe or that what is available at those positions can make a larger impact than another QB. There are only so many "ships" available and they need to be used wisely asnd get the "biggest bang for the buck"....

I don't see TD signing a QB to play QB for atleast 2 years. We need some space between Vizza, then RD starting we are set for the next 5=6 years at QB.

Well...there happens to be at least THREE 2009 prospects that currently play QB and are considering North Texas as their university of choice.

I honestly don't understand why it so hard to comprehend the need to sign a quality QB every year, if one's available and interested. In two years, Woody, Meager and Phillips will all be gone. We'd be left only with Tune, Vizza and Dodge. We have no idea how durable any of these three will be much less how well they will be able to adapt to D-1A football size and speed. Not one of them has taken a single snap in a college football game. Even if Vizza and Dodge turn out to be QB studs, we're still just a couple of injuries away from having to ask TD to suit up and take the field. Do you think Mack Brown sat back on his laurels when he had Vince Young and said, "Well, I'm set at QB for at least the next three years...no need to even look at another QB until then." Hell no, he kept recruiting the best athletes, regardless of position, because he knows you can't predict what misfortunes the future may hold.

I seriously doubt a QB would want to come here and beat out what we have now.

:lol: Yeah, because our QBs were so stellar last year we couldn't keep any of the three off the field.

Edited by gangrene

Because his dad is a employee, Riley gets a free tuition, if he can get enough academic scholarship money to cover books and room and board then NT won't have to give him a scholarship.

That means would mean North Texas can still sign 25 players to letters on intent and still have Riley come to school here. I'm sure Coach Todge has already figured this out and he is licking his chops at having one more ship available.

Kelly Page has already been screwed having to share time at QB with his head coach's son. Before he got hurt, Page, a legit D1 prospect, was splitting time with Luke Halpin, a 5-foot-8 sophomore and son of the Skeeters' head coach, who is not even in the same hemisphere talent-wise. I don't see Page signing anywhere he may have to share a depth chart with a coach's son again. Page does have the kind of athleticism that would make him a candidate to play LB or DB at the college level. He would not come to UNT to play QB, but maybe he would come to play defense.

Rather than being concerned about QB, I think we should be more curious about Defensive Tackle position. We are loaded at QB. We need a rotation of play makers at the DT position if we are going to return to our dominating form in the Belt and hope to win some OOC games of interest. I love our LBs...they are great and fast, but a great defense has to be built around the DT position.

He couldnt talk a truly high rated QB into competing with his son anyway. We will not sign another top flight QB untill Rileys Junior year at the earliest. Recruits dont mind some competition, but no one is going to enter into a race with the (real or percieved) handicap of competing with the coaches son.

He couldnt talk a truly high rated QB into competing with his son anyway. We will not sign another top flight QB untill Rileys Junior year at the earliest. Recruits dont mind some competition, but no one is going to enter into a race with the (real or percieved) handicap of competing with the coaches son.

Nepotism is a tough topic. I believe your right, that QB's will hesitate to come for at least two seasons or so. Hell, we'll have five QB's again, possibly six (with the SMU transfer) during spring ball next season.

I am not real sure why Riley or Todd would want that kind of scruntiny? Especially, at that position.

That said, I believe Meager (outside chance that Tune) will get the nod this season. Willie and Phillips are toast and the freshman is a freshman (enough said). Riley will redshirt and either beat out Tune or Vizza in 2009 if Meager emerges and plays well in '07-'08.

Maybe Coach Archie can chime in on Meager and his thoughts starting this season.

Riley will redshirt and either beat out Tune or Vizza in 2009

I have a hunch that we will all be unbelievably surprised with "The Godfather" this season. I predict he takes over about a half of the way into the season, if not sooner, and starts for the next 4 years. Rodge will redshirt, get bigger and stronger, sit for a year or two and then take over after Vizza graduates.

I have a hunch that we will all be unbelievably surprised with "The Godfather" this season. I predict he takes over about a half of the way into the season, if not sooner, and starts for the next 4 years. Rodge will redshirt, get bigger and stronger, sit for a year or two and then take over after Vizza graduates.

Funny thing...I have that same hunch...but mine tells me we won't have to wait until halfway through the season.