Game Day

I was talking to a few alumni at Fox and Hound the other night about UNT game days. We were also talking about UNT needing to adapt some sort of tradition at games and they need to do it while the box is hot under Dodge.

Our idea was as such: Provide a laminated paper or cup or a Mean Green towel. On one of those would list certain things to do during the game. For example:

On kickoffs: Crowd swings towels and yells GOOOOOOO Mean Green

Inside Opponents 15 yrd line: Entire crowd starts bouncing up and down in anticipation for the TD and doesnt stop

Opponent inside our 15 yrd line: Entire crowd bounce and make a ton of noise.

On our touchdown: .....(ex: crowd push-ups like ND)

On opponent touchdown: ....

On first down: Dont say anything cause 'its good for a mean green first down es no bueno'

I think this would really get the crowd into the games and make the game day experience MUCH more fun and exciting for the fans and the players. And eventually hopefully it would catch on and then we would have some game day tradition.

But I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas of things that could be done. If so share them here and we can see if we can get something to the athletic department....not likely I know but worth a shot.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On first down: Dont say anything cause 'its good for a mean green first down es no bueno'

I’ve gotta agree with this as emphatic as some people get with it all in all its just celebrating what should be a rather pedestrian accomplishment. Although under DD it was a pretty major feat.

We have game day traditions...and then you are wanting to kill one that the fans get into the most.

I signal everytime too but(I often wonder why but when in Rome)it's easy when you only get 5 per game if TD starts getting 20+ per game it might get old. And if we really wanna be taken seriously I think we should celebrate big events like scores, turnovers, and big plays not guys falling down over the first down marker.

I was talking to a few alumni at Fox and Hound the other night about UNT game days. We were also talking about UNT needing to adapt some sort of tradition at games and they need to do it while the box is hot under Dodge.

Our idea was as such: Provide a laminated paper or cup or a Mean Green towel. On one of those would list certain things to do during the game. For example:

On kickoffs: Crowd swings towels and yells GOOOOOOO Mean Green

Inside Opponents 15 yrd line: Entire crowd starts bouncing up and down in anticipation for the TD and doesnt stop

Opponent inside our 15 yrd line: Entire crowd bounce and make a ton of noise.

On our touchdown: .....(ex: crowd push-ups like ND)

On opponent touchdown: ....

I think this would really get the crowd into the games and make the game day experience MUCH more fun and exciting for the fans and the players. And eventually hopefully it would catch on and then we would have some game day tradition.

But I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas of things that could be done. If so share them here and we can see if we can get something to the athletic department....not likely I know but worth a shot.

Here's an idea about a new gameday tradition. How about all the people that stay in the parking lot and drink, come into the friggin stadium!!..........30 minutes before kick-off.

Howz that? B)

Agreed - it would be awfully lame to hear over the loudspeaker, "Good for another Mean Green . . ." and everybody just keeping quiet, mumbling "no habla Ingles" under their breath.

I agree it shouldn't be made a bid deal over the loadspeakers ethier. We should go crazy and cheer when something rare or surprising happens not something that should happen evey couple plays. Upon further review in the past we shouldn't have cheered for first down and instead cheered for completions. Last season we had 152 first downs and our quarterbacks only completed 136 passes somehow our receivers caught 149 but it was still a bigger accomplishment to catch a ball than it was to get a first down. Rant over.

Here's an idea about a new gameday tradition. How about all the people that stay in the parking lot and drink, come into the friggin stadium!!..........30 minutes before kick-off.

Howz that? B)

That makes sense but is just too simple. We need to make things complex.

We do have game day traditions, maybe your talking about additing game day traditional activities?

Current Game Day Traditions and Activities:

Tailgating.

Scrappy the Eagle Mascot.

Mean Green March.

BOOMER the Cannon(fired till your ears bleed).

Fight Song played by another traditional group seen and heard on game day: The (Mean) Green Brigade.

Fly Like An Eagle...see line above.

Talons Up Eagle Claw hand sign(thrown up as much as possible.

1,500 lb Spirit Bell(rung till your ears bleed).

NT Dancers perform.

Green Machine Model A(used to race around the track with the NT Battle Flag flying above it). Now the NT Battle Flag is simply ran across the field.

Cheerleaders perform.

The never ending "NORTH" and "TEXAS" chant.

The "FIRST DOWN" chant.

March and lighting of the Administration tower on campus.

The kids play on the field after the game, hoping someday, and instilling a burning desire to forever become a player, student and life long supporter of the Mean Green.

And last but not least, FirefightnRick again trying to convince everyone else, including the president of the university, the University Spirit Committee and the A.D.'s office that we need a unified chant that has a rythim people can easily follow, has a BEGINNING and an END and that it needs to be signaled and signed by the cheerleaders so that those who don't know it yet, will know what's being said.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

We have traditions- I like these

1. Eagle claw, held up during kick offs

2. Thats good for another First Down - I raise my arm and point like the ref

when he signals "First Down"

3. The band playing the fight song- make I get cold chills when I hear it!

I would like to hear this song more during the games!

Other notes-

1. Yes- parking lot fans, please get into the stadium!

2. I try to get the NT fans sitting around me, to talk about what is giong on,

plays, players, high fives, get the fans excited! I see fans that seem embarresed

to get "crazy" - I try to change their attitude !

We have traditions- I like these

1. Eagle claw, held up during kick offs

2. Thats good for another First Down - I raise my arm and point like the ref

when he signals "First Down"

3. The band playing the fight song- make I get cold chills when I hear it!

I would like to hear this song more during the games!

So basically we have 2 things the fans get into.

1) the ever intimidating silent eagle claw arm lift which 50% in attendance does

2) and the need to celebrate our accomplishments, even achieving a "First down" - granted people know to celebrate when we get a first down...........is a good thing or a bad thing :blink:

I mean if they do this when we get a first down, the stadium should have a stroke when we get a touchdown.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

I've been to many, many different college venues to watch football games and I'd say most P/A announcers implement some sort of a catch phrase for 1st downs. I know A & M's ("And that's good for another Fightin' Aggie Fiiiiirrrrst Doooowwwwnn") is almost identical to ours. I really don't have a problem with it, regardless of how many times it occurs in a single game.

To me, the more annoying thing is the eagle caw but I'm not going to criticize that or anything else the P/A announcer does to try to get the crowd more involved. Penn State has a lion roar that sounds pretty bad too.

Our Noooorrrrrth....Teeeeexxas chant is also identical to UT's Teeeexxxxas.....Fiiiiggght. There's nothing wrong with that either.

While UT also utilizes a canon, our canon is a little more unique in that it seems so much louder than others. Maybe it's because we have a louder canon or maybe the smaller crowds don't drown the sound out as well. At any rate, those that I have taken to UNT games always jump out of their shoes when our canon is fired. I hope that the canon team can get better by the time the season starts because that was a piss-poor performance they had at the spring game.

I do think the band could be a little more vocal and play more frequently. Also, I'd like to incorporate some other things into the games that are specific to Dodge and our new offense. An air raid siren might be an option for every passing touchdown we score.

Now that the bald eagle is no longer on the endangered species list, would it be possible to get an eagle as a live mascot?? I think it would be cool if the eagle could be trained to fly down from the press box prior to the opening coin toss. Auburn has an eagle mascot that does a similar stunt.

I really think that an exciting, high-scoring offense will be all that's needed to get fans excited and into the games. That grind-it-out, run, run, run offense we've endured could even bore the (Oakland) Raider Nation to tears.

And, while I'm thinking about it...does anyone else have a problem with our Fight Song lyrics appearing on our souvenir cups?? It seems a bit high schoolish to me.

Everything we have is highschoolish so far. Our traditions aren't catching on. So we have a cannon, the only part the fans play in that is getting the crap scared out of them. We yell north texas back and forth a few times a game, that takes about 5 minutes. We celebrate a first down, BUT what about kickoffs? What about TDs? What about interceptions, fumble recoveries, hard hits? What about a march up the field and we're about to score? These are the real things we should be celebrating. Sadly though, the fans pay little attention to the actual game going on.

The band plays the same songs over and over and the fans dont get into it.

UNT has got to incorporate the fans into the traditions for them to catch on, if they dont, they wont, and they havent.

I got my bachelor's at UGA, and can tell you that indeed the UNT first down chant is something memorable at UNT. No need to mess with it.

At Georgia games, we had the advantage of knowing that Vince Dooley's teams beat most everybody they played. We also had the occasional live appearance by the actual James Brown, who would perform his local hit, "Dooley's Junkyard Dogs." I'm not making that up.

We chanted "Damn good dawg!" whenever Uga the Bulldog came onto the field, and "Dawg food!" when the opponents came out.

I've been toying with similar predatory references for Scrappy's eating habits, but have come up dry so far.

what about kickoffs?
Kickoff Cheer

Crowd stands with arms & eagle claws extended up and hollers - "GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" until the ball is struck at which point voice is lowered and chant "Mean Green!"

Did you look at this link when it was posted earlier in the thread...???

Mean Green Traditions

Yes, we do not have participation that we would like in these traditions, but I think that is to come.

Also, I have heard that Dodge is making ALL players learn the alma mater to sing with the fans after every game...That will add a lot by itself

It's hard to just implement any new tradition, they usually stay around only after trial and error. One to start with is just having more fans come to games, either out of the parking lot (send golf cart around with bull horn and whip) or just by attracting more fans who have never been to a UNT game (the try-it-you'll-like-it approach).

The "North--Texas" chant is fine but needs shortened (continued way too long) and should be mixed with "Mean--Green".

The First-Down calls are actually the only times I see some older fans get up off their seats. I think it also psychologically depresses the opponent by emphasizing starting a new 4-down series, keep it.

Also, here's a list of our current Mean Green traditions.

If we really want these thing to catch on I vote we put together a mailer now and send it out to every resident of Southlake. They talk about all these traditions during orientation and the students aren't carrying it on so I'd say we let our new fan base take the torch and run with it.

Did you look at this link when it was posted earlier in the thread...???

You mean this?? Yeah Dawg I read it and sadly no one does it. And the fans sure dont get excited about it. Having this on our website doesn't mean a thing. Point in saying is that we need something else along with these 'traditions'.

Touchdown

Green Brigade plays "Fanfare" after touchdown and "Fight Song" as crowd signs along after every extra point attempt.

Field Goal

Green Brigade plays "Fight Song" as crowd sings along after every Field Goal attempt.

Yes, we do not have participation that we would like in these traditions, but I think that is to come.

And how is that?

I've been to many, many different college venues to watch football games and I'd say most P/A announcers implement some sort of a catch phrase for 1st downs. I know A & M's ("And that's good for another Fightin' Aggie Fiiiiirrrrst Doooowwwwnn") is almost identical to ours. I really don't have a problem with it, regardless of how many times it occurs in a single game.

To me, the more annoying thing is the eagle caw but I'm not going to criticize that or anything else the P/A announcer does to try to get the crowd more involved. Penn State has a lion roar that sounds pretty bad too.

Our Noooorrrrrth....Teeeeexxas chant is also identical to UT's Teeeexxxxas.....Fiiiiggght. There's nothing wrong with that either.

While UT also utilizes a canon, our canon is a little more unique in that it seems so much louder than others. Maybe it's because we have a louder canon or maybe the smaller crowds don't drown the sound out as well. At any rate, those that I have taken to UNT games always jump out of their shoes when our canon is fired. I hope that the canon team can get better by the time the season starts because that was a piss-poor performance they had at the spring game.

I do think the band could be a little more vocal and play more frequently. Also, I'd like to incorporate some other things into the games that are specific to Dodge and our new offense. An air raid siren might be an option for every passing touchdown we score.

Now that the bald eagle is no longer on the endangered species list, would it be possible to get an eagle as a live mascot?? I think it would be cool if the eagle could be trained to fly down from the press box prior to the opening coin toss. Auburn has an eagle mascot that does a similar stunt.

I really think that an exciting, high-scoring offense will be all that's needed to get fans excited and into the games. That grind-it-out, run, run, run offense we've endured could even bore the (Oakland) Raider Nation to tears.

In addition to all the regular stuff (fight song, fly like an eagle, etc), I think the first down tradition is a great one. It helps to build momentum for the fans and team as the offense marches down the field to finally punch it in. I love to wait for the announcer to set the que and then to stand up and yell "first down" while making the arm motion of the referee. That really got on the SMU fans nerves last year that were sitting in front of me. Pure greatness.

I also think that the alternating stands yelling the chant "North" and "Texas" is tremendous. I think we could do it a little more often...like after every touch down, and at critical times in the game-like when the opponent is close to scoring and we are trying to give the defense a lift to make a stand.

I think we already have some good traditions. We just need to teach them to all the newbies that are going to be at FOUTS this year! When we have 25 to 30K fans in the stands all doing the traditions we have in place, it will be more than enough game day atmosphere! Atmosphere will take care of itself.

I really like the Idea of a mean green Terrible towel. It would look cool to have a bunch of people twirling green towels and it would serve double duty of helping keep you dry on those hot summer days. I think that I will have a few golf towel sized ones made up and make that my tradition weather anyone else follows or not...

What about the wave??? :rolleyes: I know it is corny, but how about the crowd doing the wave after every first down, or TD, or something like that?

On second thought...we may be compared and start being called the "Green Wave"! :(