Ut To Retire Kevin Durant's Jersey?

Dodds: UT hasn't discussed retiring Durant's jersey

12:24 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 4, 2007

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

chipbrown@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds on Wednesday said officials have not formally discussed retiring the No. 35 jersey of basketball star Kevin Durant.

Dodds, however, expects it to happen in time because Durant fits the school's criteria of winning the national player of the year award in his sport.

"It's not something that we've talked about," Dodds said. "But Kevin fits the standard. It's something I'm sure we'll do. But we haven't talked about it yet."

Dodds said there are "some issues" with retiring jerseys of players who haven't yet graduated from the school.

"You'd rather see them graduate [before you retire their jersey]," Dodds said.

Texas, however, retired basketball player T.J. Ford's jersey in 2004 before Ford got his degree. Ford, the consensus national player of the year in 2003, is enrolled in summer school now as he continues to work toward graduation.

"In this day and age, with these kids who excel so much so early, graduating [before their jersey is retired] is probably not going to happen as much as we'd like," Dodds said. "But Kevin left Texas in good academic standing and has promised to keep working toward his degree."

Durant became the first freshman to win national player of the year honors while averaging 25.8 points and 11.1 rebounds per game for the Longhorns last season.

Texas has retired the jerseys of baseball player Roger Clemens (21), football players Earl Campbell (20) and Ricky Williams (34) and Ford (11).

They retired Ricky Williams number? :blink: In my opinion, he's nothing to thumb your chest over. He might have won the Heisman, but he's done literally nothing since ... unless you wanna count smoking plenty of grass.

I hate Texas, but during his time there, but Rickey basically restored a program that was losing its luster, got them back to winning after some bad seasons, beat A&M a few times when that was a struggle (including the year they won the Big 12), set the now elapsed rushing record and won a Heisman. Think of how we would feel about Jamario if he repeated his first season the last two years. We wouldn't care what he did next, we'd just want to honor him. Besides, now it's hilarious. I bet Priest Holmes laughs about it every few days.

I'm shocked Texas hasn't retired VY yet, but I think they probably worked out a deal (and want to with Durant), that they finish their degree and then get inducted. This looks much better for the school and program, but no matter what, those two are getting honored sometime soon.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not into retiring numbers for two reasons. The first reason is that there are only 99 numbers in football and 30 in basketball that can be used. Since there can be as many as 120 on the football squad (I believe reduced to 105 after training) that already means several numbers have to be duplicated. Adding to that total is confusing and unnecessary. Admittedly, it is less of a problem in basketball, where there are only 15 on a squad. The second reason is that some of equal talent and impact get left off. I much prefer the Hall of Fame route.

Even if I were, I find it hard to honor a player who did not graduate, or at the least, play until he/she had used all of their eligibility. I'm referring to number retirement, not HOF.That I would open to anyone that had ever been a student.

North Texas has at least three numbers that should be reinstated. If I compromised, it would be to retire only those admitted to both the College Hall of Fame AND the Pro Hall ofFame. That leaves only Joe Greene.

In UT's case, that would mean Durant and Young might have a looonnnng wait.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Where do you get 30?

I believe he meant 37.

0, 00, 1-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55.

There are also 100 in football. Don't forget about 00. Maybe 101, but I've never seen 0.