Could Riley Have Played At Ut

NTPhiKap99

Sorry, but what are we supposed to be comparing?? Given his stature, Riley wasn't going to be given a shot at playing QB at Texas and the coaching staff told him that before he committed. With that in mind, the most significant information I found from your links was the measurement listed for Colt McCoy. In 2005, Colt was listed at 6'1", 180 lbs and now he's 6'3", 205. Wow!! If only Riley can grow that much in the next year or two...imagine the potential.

The points is from Rivals measurements they were only 1 inch apart. Both are rated as 3 stars and Rodge actually has the edge with a 5.7 to Colts 5.6 in that rating. Both are proven winners and sons of coaches, more thasn just size mattering in college football and Rodge knows how to win remember Major. My point is I think we are really lucky and Rodge may have had a better shot at UT than we think.

The points is from Rivals measurements they were only 1 inch apart. Both are rated as 3 stars and Rodge actually has the edge with a 5.7 to Colts 5.6 in that rating. Both are proven winners and sons of coaches, more thasn just size mattering in college football and Rodge knows how to win remember Major. My point is I think we are really lucky and Rodge may have had a better shot at UT than we think.

The important thing is not whether or not we think Riley could have played at UT. The important thing is that Riley felt that he had a better opportunity at North Texas. Keep in mind, Riley was recruited as an athlete, not a QB. UT wasn't even guaranteeing him an opportunity to tryout for the QB position. At least at North Texas, he'll have that opportunity.

I'd compare R'odge to Kendall Briles from S'ville. Kendall was rated about the same coming out of the Ville and played Safety and ST at UT for a year before transferring to play for his dad at UH. Of course, R'odge would have played at UT. QB would have been tough, but given his determination and athleticism, he'd have played somewhere. Remember his "getting sick" during the 5A title game and still leading the team to the title? If Kevin Kolb hadn't already been at UH, and if Kendall had stayed healthy, he might have played QB for the Coogs. GMG.

I know this post was a bad idea but I'm bored at work. I put the orgianl disclaimer that due to their depth he probably wouldn't have gotten the change to play. But that compared to some other kids who have played QB at UT he isn't all that undersized and lowly rated as a recruit. My biggest point was not everyone down there is Vince Young.

So how do Vizza and Riley compare numbers wise?

As far as stats?

Riley

2006 (Jr.) Rushing Yds - 1,400 Rushing TDs - 14 Passing Yds - 4,228 Passing TDs - 54

Vizza

2005 (Jr.) Rushing - Att 98 Yds 687 TDs 6 Passing - Att 215 Compl 127 Yds 2,062 TDs 17

2006 (Sr.) Rushing - Att 86 Yds 526 TDs 5 Passing - Att 315 Compl 192 Yds 2,924 TDs 35

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Kinda makes you wonder why MB was so quick to discount Riley as a possible QB. My only guess is that he is set on Colt, wanted Riley's pedigree and winning tradition in the program, but didn't feel the need of another QB battle.

Perhaps fear of another Simms/Applewhite drama? We'll never know.

My point is I think we are really lucky and Rodge may have had a better shot at UT than we think.

I agree that we are very fortunate to get Riley and, if he develops as Colt McCoy has, then we could have the best class of '07 QB in the state of Texas coming to UNT. However, I still don't think he would have been given a legitimate to play QB at Texas. I don't think the coaching staff would have told him he'd have to switch positions if there was even the slightest possibility in their minds that he'd be able to play QB at UT. Fortunately for us, all we can do is speculate about that possibility now because he'll be wearing green instead of burnt orange! :)

Colt McCoy was a legit 6-3 during the Texas High School Basketball Championship tournament (his senior year of 2005) He also had/has a much better football physique to take the pounding at the D1 level.

Thank God young Riley finally came to his senses; if he had any serious thoughts of playing quarterback. I couldn't imagine any possible scenario where he would have received any PT at UT. (in 4 years at any position other than FG/extra point holder). Yes, that's brutal but imho, the truth! If we had any QB's whatsoever, we wouldn't be realistically talking about him taking the helm any time soon.

Go Mean Green!

I've gotta agree that he had little shot at playing Qb at Ut with the depth they had but check his out.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...mp;pr_key=22880

Compare

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...mp;pr_key=48938

It looks like Rodge has the lead.

So he could've played at UT...just not at QB. Most of us knew this, but the important thing is that he's coming to play for our team.

Edited by meangreendork