Fw*telegram Finally Gets To Riley Dodge Story

OldTimer

Posted on Sun, Jul. 01, 2007 Dodge set to follow in dad's footsteps

By TRAE THOMPSON

Star-Telegram staff writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/SHARON M. Steinman

When he heads to college at North Texas next year, Riley Dodge, left, will be listening to his father, Todd, again. Riley Dodge originally committed to the University of Texas, but says he'll be staying in green instead.

The Southlake Carroll quarterback, who will be a senior this fall, switched his commitment Friday to North Texas, where he'll be reunited with his father, UNT head coach and former Carroll coach Todd Dodge.

Riley said he'd been thinking about it for a week and said the decision had nothing to do with his prospects at Texas -- it came down to family. He wanted his mother, Elizabeth, to not be torn between his games and being with Todd. His grandfather, Ebbie Neptune, moved to the area after suffering a stroke late last year, and this would allow him to see Riley's games as well.

The chance to play for his father again was also a huge factor.

"I know people say: 'Wouldn't he want to be on his own?'" Riley said. "But me and my dad have the best relationship. And I don't think there's a better college football coach in America."

Riley Dodge, who said his decision "is done," gives North Texas its biggest commitment yet for 2008. He led the Dragons to a third consecutive Class 5A state championship in 2006, was selected The Associated Press Class 5A Offensive Player of the Year and the Star-Telegram Super Team Offensive Player of the Year. EA Sports also named him the National Junior Player of the Year.

In 2006, he finished the regular season second among 5A area passers, completing 150 of 228 passes for 2,459 yards and 32 touchdowns. He also had 103 carries for 876 yards (8.5 average) and 11 TDs.

Dodge committed to Texas in February along with Dragons running back Tré Newton. The Longhorns recruited Dodge as an athlete, but he could play quarterback at North Texas, which will run the no-huddle, spread offense to which he is accustomed.

"I know the offense inside-out," said Riley, who still plans to graduate early from Carroll. "We've won state championships with it. I grew up around this offense, and I think I know it better than anyone."

Dodge becomes the second Carroll player to commit to UNT for the 2008 class, joining linebacker Derek Tomlin.

Carroll WR commits

Southlake Carroll coach Hal Wasson confirmed that receiver Blake Cantu has committed to Oregon. Cantu had 39 catches for 756 yards and nine touchdowns during the regular season in 2006.

mtthompson@star-telegram.com

Trae Thompson, 817-685-3866

It was only a matter of time before the big presentation Mack Brown made while he was down there wore off and he came to his senses. This is a huge commitment for us and for Todge. Having Rodge commit here will help us land a lot more recruits. I can't wait to see him throw up on the 20 yard line and then throw the winning TD pass over Texas in a couple years.