Unt Stadium Talk Is Making The Rounds On Other

gangrene

I've found threads of the artist's rendition (3D animation from creative animation) of our "new stadium" ;) floating around on two different forums. There's a thread on Houston's coogfans.com and another one on baylorfans.com.

There's going to be a LOT of envy going around the state of Texas if we can ever get this stadium built. B)

With the recent $1 million plus "initial" :) gift given by the mega-wealthy Denton County family (whose last name suddenly escapes me) I thought by now we might even have an updated version of a similar video or even a more accurate architecural rendering of what our new stadium will actually look like.

On some of Texas intercollegiate brethren's forums, perhaps a few well placed photos by some of our GMG.com "photo linksters" showing the veranda portion of our A/C which will be in the south end zone over-looking the football field of our future new football palace might be in order?

Don't we all love it when UNT "stadium talk" begins to get free advertisement on other school's forums. What may need to be stressed on our friend's forums is that this new stadium is no UNT pipe dream, but is one that TxDOT has actually forced our hand to build while making us hustle up funding to make this new stadium become a reality since they (TxDOT) are claiming by eminent domain this portion of much needed Interstate 35-E corridor land that (lucky for us) just happens to be very close to where our press box side main concesssion area is presently located.

What we never, never, ever needed to do in Mean Green Country was to keep on doing a "patch-work quilt" job on Fouts Field. I look forward to its demolition day--it's been a long time coming for this 1951-constructed stadium that someone up there created some very poor blue-prints for our football future.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

With the recent $1 million plus "initial" :) gift given by the mega-wealthy Denton County family (whose last name suddenly escapes me) I thought by now we might even have an updated version of a similar video or even a more accurate architecural rendering of what our new stadium will actually look like.

On some of Texas intercollegiate brethren's forums, perhaps a few well placed photos by some of our GMG.com "photo linksters" showing the veranda portion of our A/C which will be in the south end zone over-looking the football field of our future new football palace might be in order?

Don't we all love it when UNT "stadium talk" begins to get free advertisement on other Texas D1-A school's forums. What needs to be stressed on our friend's forums is that this new stadium is no UNT pipe dream, but is one that TxDOT has actually forced our hand while making us hustle to make this new stadium become a reality since they are claiming much needed Interstate 35-E corridor land that (lucky for us) just happens to be very close to where our press box side main concesssion area is presently located.

Question....will TexDot pay NT for the land it takes? If so does anyone have idea of how much.? ...If so could any proceeds to towards the building of a new stadium?

Question....will TexDot pay NT for the land it takes? If so does anyone have idea of how much.? ...If so could any proceeds to towards the building of a new stadium?

I would think TXDOT would be required to compensate any and every one for any land it acquires by eminent domain. Thanks to Jerry Jones, there are a lot of attorneys in the area with vast expertise in the field of eminent domain. Perhaps we should hire them (pro bono of course) to negotiate the price with TXDOT? The only x-factor is that both TXDOT and UNT are government-funded entities so I don't how that affects the compensation negotiation.

TxDOT Stadium?? Has a ring to it.

I thought this was interesting. Its from the Gaylor forum.

Texas Tech fan Join Date: Oct 1999

Reputation Points: 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamKaye321

"Yep, those great things will go on for I'd say a max of 3-4 years, at which time Todd Dodge will leave for greener pastures (no pun intended) and UNT will be left with a newly renovated stadium and new athletic village that will hemorrhage money. "

"Prolly right. too much competition for entertainment dollars and too little tradition. SMU will draw far better opponents than unt. Will anybody ever really go watch unt v. SE La. State, or whomever is in their conference? Doubt it. But I admire that they are trying. There's a buttload of native talent-- it won't cut into what Tech or BU is doing, save stealing walk on or a last minute offer to a project. "

I think there is a lot in what these people are saying. I think it is very clear and should be to everyone that UNT desparately needs some tradition for our athletic program to be succesful(the OU forum was saying the same thing). Everyone says winning is the most important thing, well I disagree. I think its who we play and tradition. Look at ATM, they sucked for the longest time yet they had a packed stadium. We need some new traditions, because the old ones are working.

Now on a positive note about have the talent. I think this is so true. I was talking to a UNT football player who transferred from Navy. He said that he came here because of TD and that when he was here and saw the quality of talent that we have here, he was blown away. He said he couldn't belive we had this quality of players and that our talent was FAR superior to what Navy had. He said we just needed a coach to coach them and that we now have it. We do need more depth in our rosters though.

"Prolly right. too much competition for entertainment dollars and too little tradition. SMU will draw far better opponents than unt. Will anybody ever really go watch unt v. SE La. State, or whomever is in their conference? Doubt it. But I admire that they are trying. There's a buttload of native talent-- it won't cut into what Tech or BU is doing, save stealing walk on or a last minute offer to a project. "

Obviously, they haven't seen the offers that our '07 committs and '08 orals are getting.

I'll give'm that we have little tradition, but there is ignorance in this post. It's also a harsh reminder that the casual fan pays no attention to the Belt. SE La. State? Please...I hope we, and the rest of the Belt, can change all this.

Edited by greenminer

uh,and how exactly do you buy tradition? It's good old fashion hardwork, and I am not of the opinion that we can't build it in our current state. If Troy and MTSU, who by the way also want tradition, continue bowling and improving then we have an even better shot than the ponies down the street. They are trying to revive tradition and into today's generations tradition is a bit overrated anyway. You need to build it like Cuban built the Mavs - something different, better, special, energized by youth and marketed by genius'. That is how North Texas surpasses the Frogs, Ponies, Bears of the world. Look at where we reside! The DFW base is about FRESH. North Texas must remain fresh and offer a variety of experiences to capture new fans at every opportunity. Get that mass student body involved and allow them to unleash their brilliant ideas, technological talents and whala the Mean Green machine is off and running!

In an attempt to always be thinking about our neXtwork we need to be looking at what happens after this machine takes off...another conference in the future is going to come calling and at that point we will need to evaluate the Belt at that point. My prediction: begin evaluating programs against the likes of UNLV, AFA, BYU, UNM, CSU...

GMG

What are Texas Wreck's well known traditions? Having QB's that put up gawdy numbers because of a system that has been in place less than 10 years? Or is it keeping a kid who has a 0.0 GPA eligible? Or might it be paying for the boots a running back shows up at SMU wearing?

I think there is a lot in what these people are saying. I think it is very clear and should be to everyone that UNT desparately needs some tradition for our athletic program to be succesful(the OU forum was saying the same thing). Everyone says winning is the most important thing, well I disagree. I think its who we play and tradition. Look at ATM, they sucked for the longest time yet they had a packed stadium. We need some new traditions, because the old ones are working.

Did you know there was college football before 1990? Having 3-4 down years is not sucking? By that definition, Texas sucked most of the 80s and 90s.

Those schools have been in the national coversation and running since the 30s at least. Kind of builds you some fan capital.

Actually they wouldn't take that much land. The only place I've read about TXDOT forcing UNT to build a new stadium is in the repeated message board postings of some people. The actual prelim plans released by TXDOT I've seen don't include taking land that Fouts sits on. They would take some of the parking lot there, and even though there isnt much space, the plans for the wider 35 wouldn't displace the current football stadium. I wish the TXDOT rumor was true and I hope I'm wrong about it. But it's just not the case. That's not to lessen the drastic need for a new stadium, but it's a false to claim TXDOT is forcing us to build.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Actually they wouldn't take that much land. The only place I've read about TXDOT forcing UNT to build a new stadium is in the repeated message board postings of some people. The actual prelim plans released by TXDOT I've seen don't include taking land that Fouts sits on. They would take some of the parking lot there, and even though there isnt much space, the plans for the wider 35 wouldn't displace the current football stadium. I wish the TXDOT rumor was true and I hope I'm wrong about it. But it's just not the case. That's not to lessen the drastic need for a new stadium, but it's a false to claim TXDOT is forcing us to build.

The word I got on that was from one close to the scene in the athletic dept. back when all this transpired. Of course, we know that we have heard so many urban tales in times past from our athletic dept., now haven't we? :) And I don't neccesarily focus on our present athletic administration on any of that, either.

I know when the Denton Radisson threw their hands up on trying to maintain the golf course and asked UNT to take it back helped seal the deal on this huge project we now have going on at the Mean Green Village. Moving across the interstate was also the reason plans were scrapped to use the old Services Bldg as an athletic center, too, in spite of another urban tale I've read on why we didn't proceed with that project.

Actually.............and FWIW...........isn't Interstate 35E already way too close to our Fouts Field complex? I thought it was in 1972 and I still do in 2007. Amazing how thru the decades there are just so many other things concerning our alma mater that just haven't changed me and many other minds as well. Our hiring practices most of the last 25 years is toward the top of that list for many and our varsity team's overall W/L records in that same amount of time as well; also, what many feel are our school's fund-raising of a a rather smallish financial endowment over that same span of time has been a disappointment for a school located in DFW and one established in 1890. Enuf' of all that--that was yester-year and yester-year's gone.

Todd Dodge's hiring was more than just a breath of fresh air for many of us and gives many of us hope that:

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Did you know there was college football before 1990? Having 3-4 down years is not sucking? By that definition, Texas sucked most of the 80s and 90s.

Um...yeah it is called sucking

Those schools have been in the national coversation and running since the 30s at least. Kind of builds you some fan capital.

Lets not make excuses for the lack of UNT tradition. We have been around for just as long as them, only we never set up any traditions early on like the 'Big Boys' did. Im not talking about establishing a winning tradition or a passing tradition or a running tradition or whatever else I have read above. Im talking about game day tradition, game experience tradition, school tradition, this is what keeps fans at the games and involved. I have been to games at UNT when we throw an interception and half the stadium clears out. This is what the other schools point at about UNT. My point in stating that ATM stank for so many years was that during that entire time their fans kept coming and stayed. The tradition kept them coming and into the game even when losing badly to teams. We dont have anything like that and I think we should try to establish something like this. A reason to keep fans coming to the games, a way to get them involved, and a way to keep them coming to the games even when we are having a series of losing seasons.

Lets not make excuses for the lack of UNT tradition. We have been around for just as long as them, only we never set up any traditions early on like the 'Big Boys' did. Im not talking about establishing a winning tradition or a passing tradition or a running tradition or whatever else I have read above. Im talking about game day tradition, game experience tradition, school tradition, this is what keeps fans at the games and involved. I have been to games at UNT when we throw an interception and half the stadium clears out. This is what the other schools point at about UNT. My point in stating that ATM stank for so many years was that during that entire time their fans kept coming and stayed. The tradition kept them coming and into the game even when losing badly to teams. We dont have anything like that and I think we should try to establish something like this. A reason to keep fans coming to the games, a way to get them involved, and a way to keep them coming to the games even when we are having a series of losing seasons.

My only point is we'd still take the level of "sucking" Texas and A&M were at most of the 80s and 90s.

As for the other stuff, we agree. But I think you are confusing tradition and creating atmosphere. I've never seen a school before this one were so little effort was put into the pagentry that surrounds college football. I mean, when you reach a point where the man who decides to say "hey, we should add a tailgating area and give the donors their own special area to hang out," is considered a genius, something has gone horribly wrong for decades.

It also kind of lines up with my life-long dream to take tylenol, polio vaccines, and rock-em, sock-em robots back to the middle ages and become a god...

It's never too late to start new traditions. I guess we'd all agree that Boise State sorta' started a new one for themselves in last January's BCS Championship Bowl win over OU.

UNT is 2 & 2 against Boise State U in our football series with the Broncos. So maybe we are not as far away from what they've had going of late than we previously may have thought?

We know what we have to do at UNT with venues at the Mean Green Village and what we have to do as a Lone Star State-based university to equal what BSU has been doing the last few years, but doesn't all this seem more do-able now than ever before?

Granted, BSU doesn't have the name-value or ID of a Notre Dame, but how many ex SWC schools not in the Big 12 (including TT, BU & TAMU who are in the Big 12) have been to a BCS Championship Bowl lately? :whistling1:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I mean, when you reach a point where the man who decides to say "hey, we should add a tailgating area and give the donors their own special area to hang out," is considered a genius, something has gone horribly wrong for decades.

Obviously you never met Craig Helwig Quoner or you'd know just how right you are.

I just think establishing some tradition would really set us apart from the other SBC schools and then we could separate ourselves from the image of being the 'commuter college in denton' or the 'normal teachers school' and actually start building the image of a great university in texas with great programs and great athletics.