Updated Rodge Story

Harry

<H2 class=vitstoryheadline>Gut feeling led Riley Dodge to UNT</H2>

Quarterback says playing for father felt right

<H5 class=vitstorydate>07:41 PM CDT on Saturday, June 30, 2007</H5>

By Brett Vito and TIm MacMahon/DRC-TDMN

A few days of discussions and second thoughts culminated in a dramatic turn of events for North Texas and the family of head coach Todd Dodge this weekend.

Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge is going to follow his father to UNT after all.

The reigning Associated Press Class 5A offensive player of the year said Saturday that he has changed his oral commitment from Texas to UNT. Riley , who is entering his senior season, said he broke the news to Texas head coach Mack Brown and also talked to offensive coordinator Greg Davis this week.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 6.

"It was probably the hardest phone call I ever made in my life," Riley said. "But they were very cool about it and very nice. I really appreciated that.

"Coach Brown told me, 'You have the opportunity to play for your dad again. You need to hop all over it.'"

Riley (6-0, 183) said he made the decision for the good of his family and because he believes his father will turn around UNT's program. The Mean Green finished 5-18 the last two seasons combined under former head coach Darrell Dickey, who was fired Nov. 8.

Dodge finished on a 79-1 run at Carroll that included three straight Class 5A state titles before taking over as UNT's head coach in December. He went 98-11 with four state titles in his time with the Dragons.

Riley and Todd Dodge finished last season with a 43-29 win over Austin Westlake in the state title game in December, in what appeared at the time to be their final game together as player and coach. Riley's maternal grandfather, Ebbie Neptune, the legendary former Westlake coach and athletic director, suffered a stroke soon after the game.

Neptune is recovering in a McKinney facility only a few miles from Denton, which was a factor in Riley's decision.

"I am very, very close to him and I wanted him to get a chance to see me play college football," Riley said.

Playing for UNT would give the entire family a chance to see Riley and Todd Dodge on the same field on Saturdays. Todd Dodge cannot comment on his son's decision to attend UNT because of NCAA rules.

Riley was recruited by Texas as an athlete and committed to the Longhorns after their junior day in late February. Riley will play quarterback at UNT, where his father is installing the same spread offense he used at Carroll.

"I believe I am a quarterback," Riley said. "I think I can do it on the next level. I just went with my gut."

Rivals.com ranks Riley No. 58 on its list of the state's top 100 recruits. UNT has not landed a player rated in Rivals.com's state top 100 since running back Jamario Thomas signed with the Mean Green in 2004.

UNT now has eight players committed for its 2008 recruiting class.

Riley threw for 4,184 yards and 54 touchdowns in addition to rushing for 1,119 and 13 touchdowns as a junior last season. He will enter what could be a crowded quarterback competition when he arrives at UNT. Daniel Meager, who came out of spring practice as the Mean Green's starter, will be a senior in 2008. UNT also signed Giovanni Vizza, a highly regarded quarterback from San Antonio Alamo Heights who changed his commitment from Nevada, in its 2007 recruiting class.

Riley said he only began thinking about changing his commitment to UNT the last few days, when he told his father that his heart was leading him to UNT. The family had several discussions before Riley changed his mind.

Todd Dodge did not try to convince his son to attend UNT after he committed to Texas and played devil's advocate in discussions about playing for the Mean Green, Riley said.

"It's a great decision for the family," said Elizabeth Dodge, Riley's mother. "But Riley made the decision."

Word spread quickly among Dodge's current and former Carroll teammates late this week that Riley had decided to play for UNT, which has signed two former Dragons in its 2007 class and now has commitments from two others for 2008.

Linebacker Justin Padron and defensive end Kyle Russo are members of UNT's 2007 recruiting class. UNT has also received a commitment from senior linebacker Derek Tomlin. Having three former Carroll teammates will only add to the familiar atmosphere for Riley at UNT.

"I saw Riley [Thursday] and he was wearing a Mean Green shirt," Russo said. "He told me to be ready for a surprise in the next few days."

Russo later found out that Riley was headed to UNT and talked to him about his decision.

"He said it was kind of sudden," Russo said. "His girlfriend is coming here and he feels like we are getting some good commitments. He thought it was time for him to get in on it."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas 2008 commitments

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for UNT beginning in the 2008 season:

OL Eloy Atkinson Los Fresnos

WR Kenny Barrett Mart

QB Riley Dodge Southlake Carroll

RB Lance Dunbar Haltom

OL Troy Franklin Celina

WR Willie Taylor Dallas Hillcrest

LB Derek Tomlin Southlake Carroll

S Darien Williams Vernon

Texas got what they wanted out of this. They reopened the pipeline to SLC, built goodwill with the Southlake community for future recruiting, and got Tre Newton.

Win-win-win.