Riley Dodge's Choice: In His Own Words

Cooley

June 30, 2007

Jason Suchomel

Orangebloods.com

When Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge committed to Texas back in February, he made the decision knowing he was being recruited as an athlete and knowing that his father had previously accepted the head coaching job at North Texas.

Even with those factors seemingly weighing against Texas, Dodge decided to give the Longhorns an early commitment, largely based on the fact that he's been a fan of the Texas program for as long as he can remember.

Three months later, Dodge still has those same strong feelings towards the Texas program, but he decided this week that wearing the burnt orange and white may not be the best decision for his future. After really struggling with the decision for the past few days, Dodge put in a call to the Texas coaching staff on Friday to withdraw his commitment, informing them that he'll be following his father to play at North Texas.

"I grew up from when I was little wanting to play at UT. I'm still the biggest UT fan you'll find," Dodge said. "It has a lot to do with me playing quarterback. At North Texas, I feel like I have the opportunity to play early and I know the offense in and out. And not many kids get to play for their dads in high school and in college."

Playing time, the quarterback position and the chance to play for his dad were instrumental in Dodge's decision, but his choice runs a little deeper than it appears on the surface. His grandfather, who lived in the Austin area, suffered a stroke earlier in the year. He has since moved to North Texas to be closer to his family, and Dodge said the opportunity to stay close to a important member of his family was another factor in his final decision.

"It's been rough on our family. I would love for my grandpa to be able to see me come play college football. He's one of the people I look up to so much," Dodge said.

As a junior, Dodge was one of the country's most productive prep quarterbacks, throwing for for 4,184 yards and 54 touchdowns and rushing for 1,119 yards and 13 scores. He averaged more than 330 yards of offense per game. After finishing up his career at Southlake Carroll, Dodge will now take his talents to North Texas, where he'll play for his father Todd, who built the Carroll program into one of the best the nation has seen in the past decade.

"I still follow Texas and will still root them on. My dad was kind of iffy about (the switch). He was happy either way. He was so happy when I committed to Texas," Riley said. "But I feel like I have an opportunity to play at an up and coming program and I think I have a chance to start."

The decision to switch seems to fit like a glove – Dodge will get to play quarterback, he'll play for his dad, he'll step into the same offense that he ran in high school and he'll get to stay close to his family – but the call to withdraw his commitment was extremely difficult move for the 6-foot, 183-pound playmaker. In fact, Dodge said that the last few days have been some of the most gut-wrenching of his life, and he even had trouble telling his friends about his change of heart.

"It's been sickening. It's been hard to sleep at night. I have Texas stuff all over my bedroom and I've had that ever since I was a little kid. It's taken a toll on me the past couple of weeks," said Dodge. "I've gotten to be pretty good friends with some of the guys playing at Texas. I talked to (Carroll teammate and Texas commit) Tre (Newton) today. He's one of my best friends. He's been really supportive but it was hard to even talk to him."

Looks like he plagiarized the quotes from MacMahon's blog story. He just rearranged the story. That's a no-no in the world of journalism. You have to give attribution. But what do you expect from a Whorn lover.

At North Texas, I feel like I have the opportunity to play early

I have an opportunity to play at an up and coming program and I think I have a chance to start.

There are several scenarios that have been running through my head since this news broke...

1) Vizza is the starter for 2007, and becomes a 4-year starter...Riley redshirts, and starts his junior and senior seasons when Vizza leaves

2) If Vizza doesn't start in 2007 you would think that he probably transfers IF the Riley commitment holds up

3) (MOST UNLIKELY OF THE SCENARIOS) Vizza redshirts in 2007, watches behind the 2007 starter who would be a senior in 2008, and then competes in a very heated competition for the starting role in 2009...with the coaches son who would be a true freshman.

4) (EVEN MORE UNLIKELY OF THE SCENARIOS) Vizza redshirts in 2007, watches behind the 2007 starter who would be a senior in 2008, and then starts in 2009 while Riley redshirts, then you have a cluttered mess in 2010 with some young promising QB doing a lot of bench sittin, or transfering.

These quotes by Riley in a way worry me because you would think that Dad (T. Dodge) would have to talked to him about the depth chart and how it would have applied to him...I really liked the idea of being set at QB for the next 6 years if SCENARIO 1 played out.

Granted Todd Dodge knows what he is doing, and I trust in that, do not get me wrong, but it just makes me wonder.

Thoughts on the RIley Dodge quotes??? Anyone else having similar thoughts???

Thoughts on the RIley Dodge quotes???

I have an opportunity to play at an up and coming program and I think I have a chance to start.

I think it only says what he didn't feel at Texas... Just more of an opportunity at UNT, not actually what was told to him by Dad.

There are several scenarios that have been running through my head since this news broke...

1) Vizza is the starter for 2007, and becomes a 4-year starter...Riley redshirts, and starts his junior and senior seasons when Vizza leaves

2) If Vizza doesn't start in 2007 you would think that he probably transfers IF the Riley commitment holds up

3) (MOST UNLIKELY OF THE SCENARIOS) Vizza redshirts in 2007, watches behind the 2007 starter who would be a senior in 2008, and then competes in a very heated competition for the starting role in 2009...with the coaches son who would be a true freshman.

4) (EVEN MORE UNLIKELY OF THE SCENARIOS) Vizza redshirts in 2007, watches behind the 2007 starter who would be a senior in 2008, and then starts in 2009 while Riley redshirts, then you have a cluttered mess in 2010 with some young promising QB doing a lot of bench sittin, or transfering.

These quotes by Riley in a way worry me because you would think that Dad (T. Dodge) would have to talked to him about the depth chart and how it would have applied to him...I really liked the idea of being set at QB for the next 6 years if SCENARIO 1 played out.

Granted Todd Dodge knows what he is doing, and I trust in that, do not get me wrong, but it just makes me wonder.

Thoughts on the RIley Dodge quotes??? Anyone else having similar thoughts???

Understand what you are saying, BIG DAWG, but IMO, having 2 good QB's is almost a necessity for most D1-A programs these days. Obviously, 1 key injury to a starting QB and then you're down to 1 key talented back-up QB; might not be a bad idea to even have 3 quality QB's in camp in that case.

I applaud the young Dodge for what he did and not just because UNT is the beneficiary of this. I think UT officials understand Riley's decision probably more than those who have already criticized Riley for changing his mind. FWIW, it's America where one can still do such things as change your mind. Lest we forget, we, too, were once 17 and 18 years old.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Riley is a competitor. Of course he thinks he can start. How many of yall want a quarterback who is just happy to have a scholarship?

And unless you are Jevaqn Snead (level of talent), transferring to another school is very difficult (to just show up and get playing time).

I get the feeling that Riley is going to feel trapped here. Seems as though he really wants to go to UT. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

Well, he probably grew up wanting to go to high school at Austin Westlake too where his grandfather coached and his mom once attended. But his dad took the job at Southlake and Riley accepted it and grew into making it his school, just like he will UNT.

I think it only says what he didn't feel at Texas... Just more of an opportunity at UNT, not actually what was told to him by Dad.

I have no problems with Riley's quotes - I think they are right on in that he will have the opportunity to play early. Vizza will also have that opportunity. I also have no problems with his quotes about his love for UT - his Dad played there, and he's been a surrogate member of that family for his whole life. I grew up a big fan of... SMU :blink: basically because their merchandise was sold at my little-town Wal-Mart and because I liked their school colors. Of course, I attended UNT (NTSU at the time) because it was the right choice and I have had Green running through my veins since that time - but I never think anything negative about how kids in high school think of college programs.

Bottom line is that Coach Dodge will play the best QB that he has available. As fans, this is really great to see that we'll have a high-level QB competition at UNT.

Wouldn't mind seeing Tre come to UNT at all - would make for a wonderful RB competition at some point! When you have high-level competition at all of your skill positions, then you know that you're getting much closer to that level that we all want to see for UNT.

I also don't have a problem with the quotes on the UT board that were posted below because I think they were right-on as well. Riley would have been competing with a crop of athletes that are among the best in the nation at UT - that's just a fact of life. At UNT, he most definitely has a much greater chance to be the starting QB.

Tre and Riley appear to be joined at the hip. Riley went on a cruise with his family, right? Wonder if Tre contacts Riley as soon as the Dodge's return from their trip, or does Riley contact Tre? Either way, Tre is now second-guessing on his UT committment too.

C'mon Tre, just do it!!!

Well, he probably grew up wanting to go to high school at Austin Westlake too where his grandfather coached and his mom once attended. But his dad took the job at Southlake and Riley accepted it and grew into making it his school, just like he will UNT.

Over time obviously he will grow into UNT but I dont think you can compare HS to colleges....very different types of situations there.

Edited by Green Mean