Riley Dodge To Nt

NTPhiKap99

Assuming Vizza looks like he will be a star performer, I definitely agree with red-shirting RD (Also assuming RD is actually coming here - way too much assuming going on in this post). That would create a great 1-2 punch at QB in 2009, and place the offense securely in RD's hands for two years with TD's recruits now thoroughly in place as starters.

So if Riley does attend NT will he count against a ship or will he get free tuition because he has a relative who works for the University?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From

June 30, 2007<H3 id=a102387>Riley Dodge will play for dad at UNT</H3>rileyanddad.jpg

Southlake Carroll QB Riley Dodge changed his mind and plans to play for his dad again. He’ll join Todd at North Texas in the spring after backing out of his oral commitment to Texas.

Riley, the reigning Class 5A offensive player of the year, informed me of his decision before boarding a cruise ship this morning for a family vacation. He broke the news to Mack Brown this week.

"It was probably the hardest phone call I ever made in my life," said Riley, who also talked to offensive coordinator Greg Davis. "But they were very cool about it and very nice. I really appreciated that.

"Coach Brown told me, 'You have the opportunity to play for your dad again. You need to hop all over it.'"

Riley made the decision for two reasons: family, first and foremost; and he believes UNT’s new coach will succeed at the college level after finishing with a 79-1 run at Carroll. NCAA rules forbidTodd from commenting on his son, who happens to be the biggest fish in an impressive nine-player, (non-binding) early commitment pool.

Rivals.com ranks Riley, who accounted for 5,303 yards and 67 TDs as a junior, as the state’s No. 58 recruit. He’s his dad’s first state top 100 commitment.

Riley had been sure that their December celebration at the Alamodome would mark the last time he was on his dad’s team. Carroll capped its third consecutive undefeated season in the most emotional game of ex-Longhorn QB Todd’s life. The 43-29 win over Austin Westlake came days after he was announced as UNT’s next coach. It was their only chance to win a state title as a father/son, coach/QB tandem.

(The nerves might have had something to do with Riley’s unforgettable http://youtube.com/watch?v=K3ZXlZ9Wxdw.)

Riley has deep roots with Westlake, too, adding to the emotions. The Chaparrals’ stadium is named after his maternal grandfather, Ebbie Neptune, Westlake’s legendary former coach and athletic director.

The Dodges’ storybook tale took a sad twist when Neptune suffered a stroke soon after the title game. He is recovering in a facility in McKinney, a major factor in Riley’s decision to play for his dad in Denton.

“I’m very, very close to him,” Riley said, “and I wanted him to get a chance to see me play college football.”

Riley, who committed to UT after its February junior day, also realized how much he’d miss his dad on game days. And he didn’t want his mom, Elizabeth, to have to choose between watching her husband or son.

Todd didn’t recruit Riley after he made his commitment to UT. Riley told his dad earlier this month that his heart was leading him toward UNT, and his dad played devil’s advocate. They had several family discussions before Riley made a firm choice.

"It’s a great decision for the family," his mom said, "but Riley made the decision."

Riley said he has no doubt he made the right one. He’ll get to play the position he loves in the potent spread offense he grew up learning (and allowed Todd to make the rare jump from high school to Division I-A).

Texas recruited Riley as an athlete. He was told they would consider him at quarterback, but he understood he’d probably end up as a receiver/return man. He’ll be strictly at QB at North Texas.

"I believe I’m a quarterback," said Riley, who extended Carroll QBs’ streak to five straight state player of the year awards. "I think I can do it at the next level. I just went with my gut."

And he’s sticking with his blood.

Posted by Tim MacMahon email.gif at 10:26 AM (E-mail this entry) | | Comments (1)

OK guys, the real reason Riley Dodge is transferring to UNT is because DeLoss Dodds doesn't feel comfortable playing against UNT down the road. If the Mean Green were to upset the Horns, he would feel that Todd Dodge used "Confidential Information" against his program in the upset. (Former UT QB in Todd Dodge and now Riley) Moreover, TD hired away a recent UT graduate assistants (for a while)

These type of lawsuits are seriously being filed in North Texas court houses against former coaches when their asses are kicked.

Just a thought....Vizza doesn't red shirt next year. Dodge red shirts his Fr year. UNT is more in the national spotlight when Dodge is a Jr. and the starting QB . Better than 1 of the pack receivers at UT.

Agreed. I dont't know if this increases the chances of Vizza being the starter this year, but I would think it decreases the chances of Vizza being red-shirted. It also sets up perfectly to move Riley in as starter his junior year - or sooner if he demonstrates that he's better than Vizza. But Vizza will get his chance to show what he can do, and he's got a big head-start on Riley at NT.

This is also the mark of a big-time program in the making: the big-time programs keep recruiting a position even when they already have a stud at that same position, even when they already have a stud at that position in the same recruiting class. Look at the constant QB battles at Texas the past several years, or the un-ending flow of great QBs at USC or Florida. They're not just recruiting to fill holes next year, they're recruiting to build that class two or three years down the road. If things work out as hoped, North Texas could be set at QB for the next six years. You add another stud QB recruit in the next couple of years, and you just keep extending the line of heir-apparents.

In Riley's case, you've got to believe that he's been stewing just a little bit that UT wanted him as an athlete and not a QB. He's one of the best QBs in the state, but UT wants him to play DB or return kicks? That couldn't sit well, and over time it must have eaten away at that life-long desire to play for the 'Horns. It sounds like it his desire to play QB in college overcame his desire to play for Texas.

What a day for North Texas. WOW.

Edited by Smitty

In Riley's case, you've got to believe that he's been stewing just a little bit that UT wanted him as an athlete and not a QB. He's one of the best QBs in the state, but UT wants him to play DB or return kicks? That couldn't sit well, and over time it must have eaten away at that life-long desire to play for the 'Horns. It sounds like it his desire to play QB in college overcame his desire to play for Texas.

What a day for North Texas. WOW.

Yeah...I am sure the opportunity to play Div IA ball for his Dad had nothing to do with it... :P

Yeah...I am sure the opportunity to play Div IA ball for his Dad had nothing to do with it... :P

I'm sure it did. But if that was the over-riding reason, wouldn't he have committed to North Texas in the first place? It sounds like the main conflict was playing QB vs. playing for UT. I'm sure playing for his dad played a role, but if UT had recruited him as a QB, would this change have happened?

Edited by Smitty

I'm sure it did. But if that was the over-riding reason, wouldn't he have committed to North Texas in the first place? It sounds like the main conflict was playing QB vs. playing for UT. I'm sure playing for his dad played a role, but if UT had recruited him as a QB, would this change of happened?

Like someone posted on the horn board; that Riley may have seen UT's plans for him and his desire to play sooner and play QB overcame his desire to sit at UT. Many players don't realize they are not happy until a year or two trying to adjust to non-playing or another position.

How about this for a second....How about Riley graduates early and comes here to NT to enroll for the spring semester, partake in spring ball. It's a new thing that is happening alot more now-a-days.

I can't explain how excited I am about hearing this news. I had a feeling it would happen and had mentioned it several times, but for it to actually happen is great. Just think about how this may help to land more and better recruits for the 2008 class. Maybe a couple of linemen from SLC, maybe Cantu or even Tre Newton, you never know.

I just want everyone to think about this for a second:

UNT JUST LANDED ONE OF THE TOP QB'S IN THE NATION!!!!!

How about this for a second....How about Riley graduates early and comes here to NT to enroll for the spring semester, partake in spring ball. It's a new thing that is happening alot more now-a-days.

I could be wrong but I think he is already on pace to graduate early and was intending to enroll in the spring.

I could be wrong but I think he is already on pace to graduate early and was intending to enroll in the spring.

I believe you are correct--that was his plan at UT, and I imagine it will be his plan at UNT. Remember, he was in attendance at several of the spring practices--he saw something he wanted to be a part of, moreso than what he saw in his junior day at UT.

Having Riley switch is really no surprise. He wants to play QB and his body is built to play QB. AT UT he was just going to be another guy and here at UNT he will compete for the position early on.

Having given this some thought, Riley will red shirt his Freshman season. He is 5 Ft. 9" maybe on a good day 5 ft. 10" and will hit the weightroom hard to get up to 180 lbs. UNT weighed in Vizza and he weighs over 200 lbs. (look at their weight boards in the trainers room).

Vizza now will definitely NOT redshirt. Vizza will play some but not sure if he'll play himself into the starting role. Again, per my previous post, if Vizza is close to Meager, I believe he starts and gets the playing time. Coach Dodge will then no what to do with Riley the following season, imo.

We now have two winners at QB, two state champions who can throw the ball and our spread offense QB's. Riley Dodge knows the system bettter than any of them, and that gives him an edge. Riley has been in this system since middle school.

Great problem to have, VIZZA vs. DODGE. Competition will be unreal. Riley's decision only affects Vizza and Tune. Meager is not affected by Riley. Meager, being a junior, will not be affected by this signing.

We will not sign a quality QB after Riley for several seasons, that might be a problem. Nobody will want to sit on the bench (who is a quality player) behind Riley for 3 or 4 seasons so that is something that will be interesting to study in the future.

Bottom line, Riley brings us a top tier player, more exposure for the Mean Green and more possible players who just might switch their verbal commitments to UNT with this signing.

Everyone here keeps talking about how Riley is undersized. He is around 6'0 and is STILL ONLY A SENIOR IN H.S., 17 YRS OLD, HE WILL GROW MORE! And for his weight I don't think thats much of a problem, look at reasons above.

I had noticed a picture of him at one of the 7 on 7 tourneys from a previous post a few weeks ago. He looked absolutely ripped. Someone should pull that up and post the pic. The kid looks yoked in it!

Awesome news! What a quality kid! Now, we have some great SLC players headed our way - Dodge, Fentriss, Derek Tomlin, Kyle Russo, Justin Padron. Now, let's get an OL from SLC because our OL needs a lot of help. Havng Vizza and Dodge is terrific, but it won't mean a thing if the OL continues to not be able to protect.

Great post, but maybe you could elaborate on why you believe Vizza would get the nod if Meager outperforms him? More upside?

Exactly, more upside. Again, just my opinion and seeing how the QB's played last season, I think Dodge might go with Vizza if all other things are equal.

Exactly, more upside. Again, just my opinion and seeing how the QB's played last season, I think Dodge might go with Vizza if all other things are equal.

Our WRs absolutely love Vizza. It's night and day from anything they've seen. Unless he gets hurt or somehow forgets how to throw a football, it's all him.

Riley's decision only affects Vizza and Tune. Meager is not affected by Riley. Meager, being a junior, will not be affected by this signing.

I think it affects Meager. If Meager is outplayed by Vizza this season then he NEVER sees the field at quarterback.

I've got an idea. Maybe we should move him to WR or DB since it is clear from my wild stab in the dark guesses that he has no future at QB. <_<