Oil Bowl Report

McK

As some were asking about the Oil Bowl and the 4 UNT players who were participating, I was there and followed them close, and here is my analysis:

Thomas Moreland, K-P-- Good game; looked better at kicking field goals than punting and kicking off [he alone did all 3]. Both punts and kickoff were too low; and though he got a couple of touchbacks on kickoffs, they did kick from the 40, so kicking that same way from the 30 [this year's rule] would result in easy field position for receiving team on 35 or further. Early in the game, while in punt formation about the 30, the snap went over his head and he kicked the ball through the end zone; probably a smart play, giving up a safety to guard against a TD. Good prospect, at least as FG kicker.

Marquese Davis, LB-- Fair game; made a couple of good stops, one a head-jarring crowd-pleaser, but a few plays later he was in position to break up a pass on a hook route and he missed it with his hand. Good quickness, but looked like he might have been out of position a few times; but hey, no one out there has played a game in 6-7 months [nor has this "analyst" been to one in that time]. Did not play TE, as he was also listed.

J.J. Johnson, C-- Split time with another center, and Johnson looked the better of the 2. Stopped an inside stunt by DE once by cutting him low and he turned a complete flip. But at least once he fold-blocked on a running play and seemed content to stay between the LB and the ballcarrer, rather than aggressviely hit the guy. Twice got outside well on a sweep. Looked fairly good, but would get roughed up right against future opponents like OU, Arkansas, or Texas with quick defensive fronts.

Kyle Russo, DE-- Not particularly impressive. Was kicked out alot on end sweeps, and didn't get close to the passer, except maybe twice. Recovered a fumble, which got him noted and applauded, but the ball just bounced right to him [can be odd what fans think makes a player deserve accolades]. I only remember one good stop, which was assisted. A mental mistake on someone's part [his, apparently] in the 3rd quarter when he went out to line up with the punting team, which was already at the line, then was flagged for illegal substitution; he would have been the 12th man. Did not see him line up on offense at TE.

Otherwise, although I don't know if any Player of the Game awards were handed out, I would vote for Nathan Dick, the Texas quarterback from Allen, who has signed with Arkansas. Good passer, good scrambler [definitely better at that than his brother, the listed Arkansas starter].

3rd Oil Bowl in a row I have attended, and this was the best game so far, still fairly close till the last 6 minutes. But the final of score of 31-16 Texas did reflect the quality of the teams, IMO.