Pc Police Get Another One

1. The NCAA's only gonna pull this crap on schools that don't rake in the money for them. This policy, as previously stated, is inconsistently enforced, and unfairly enforced. Sadly, it's the NCAA doing two things: covering their butts from the lawsuits, and ignoring the problem when the pursuit of the policy costs them more money. It's crap.

It was enforced the University of Illinois not exactly a pauper in the NCAA world, I got to see them in St. Louis at the Final Four championship two years ago.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add "Savages" to that list of offensive terms.

I wonder if Utah is in any trouble over this. I don't know if they have any pre-game traditions with a mascot that would be considered offensive, but their name is the proper name of an indian tribe.

I would think that Warriors would not be offensive to native americans.

You would really assume that, wouldn't you? But I lived in Durant, where Southeastern Oklahoma State is - and the Choctaw tribe never had a problem with it - not once. In fact, when the NCAA forced this resolution through - the school left it up to the Choctaw tribe as to whether or not they would fight it or roll with it. The tribe actually was angered that the name was being threatened but did not want to spend the money to fight the almighty NCAA. So the school gave the tribe the right to rename the mascot as to include them in the process and try to keep their indian heritage involved. The Choctaw Chief held a meeting of the tribe and they voted to fight it. When he explained the cost, they still wanted to fight it. When he brought this to the school, the school said that they would not support the tribe fighting the name and they would go that path alone. The tribe gave in... but they were not happy about it... and cam up with a new name - The Savage Storm. The school was a little scared that it would be perceived as the same nickname so they removed all indian regalia from their spirit marks and now they have this storm looking logo.

So while "Savages" may seem hostile and abusive - some indian cultures do not always find that to be offensive... they can be (in this case) "proud" of that trademark (as crazy as that sounds). Then again, they are from Oklahoma and everything in Oklahoma is like the freaking twilight zone (except in Tulsa, lol)...

It was enforced the University of Illinois not exactly a pauper in the NCAA world, I got to see them in St. Louis at the Final Four championship two years ago.

They let FSU go, thanks to the Seminole (actual Native Americans) speaking up for them. Illinois isn't really the same class that FSU is. The Illini are good in basketball but they're no football school, and they don't draw the kind of attention FSU does.

They let FSU go, thanks to the Seminole (actual Native Americans) speaking up for them. Illinois isn't really the same class that FSU is. The Illini are good in basketball but they're no football school, and they don't draw the kind of attention FSU does.

And the tribes that used to live in Illinois have been raising hell for years asking them to change.