Sitting On The Plane Today!

KingDL1

I spent the week in Phoenix in a training seminar. Then on the way home I was delayed 90 minutes due to weather at DFW. I was getting the long travel day, tired, end of the trip feeling. The American MD Super 80 was packed not one empty seat.

Well my day got much better!

I had a window seat and a nice lady sat down next to me, she was stuck in the middle seat and was pleasant enough. THEN she told me she was from Southlake and I mentioned Dodge and boy that got her started. She went on and on about what a great leader Coach Dodge is and how lucky UNT was to have him. She said she planned on going to the UNT & OU game with her entire family to see his opening game. Then she went on that they were probably going to buy season tickets, and when told her the price of our season tickets she said she would for sure. Well needless to say I was perked back up. She could name all the coaches Dodge took from Southlake and which kids went to UNT plus she knew which kids went to OU. Hell she put me to shame on my football knowledge.

Well needless to say I forgot about the crappy day, and it looks like even more Southlake fans will be at Fouts Field this Fall.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I spent the week in Phoenix in a training seminar. Then on the way home I was delayed 90 minutes due to weather at DFW. I was getting the long travel day, tired, end of the trip feeling. The American MD Super 80 was packed not one empty seat.

Well my day got much better!

I had a window seat and a nice lady sat down next to me, she was stuck in the middle seat and was pleasant enough. THEN she told me she was from Southlake and I mentioned Dodge and boy that got her started. She went on and on about what a great leader Coach Dodge is and how lucky UNT was to have him. She said she planned on going to the UNT & OU game with her entire family to see his opening game. Then she went on that they were probably going to buy season tickets, and when told her the price of our season tickets she said she would for sure. Well needless to say I was perked back up. She could name all the coaches Dodge took from Southlake and which kids went to UNT plus she knew which kids went to OU. Hell she put me to shame on my football knowledge.

Well needless to say I forgot about the crappy day, and it looks like even more Southlake fans will be at Fouts Field this Fall.

I think that we should issue a challenge to the Denton fans to see if they can outnumber the Southlake fans at any ONE home game.

This story also shows that we are not alone out there. There are a lot of UNT alumni and friends, mostly quietly going about their daily lives. I hope this will stimulate a few thousand of them to start thinking about UNT and realize how a strong showing by the athletic programs will improve a great University. I wish I could start all over like I did in 1979, I would go right back to NTSU and love every minute of it the way I did the first time. I see UNT Alum or friend every once in a while out here in Lubbock but I know there are a a lot more that need to be stirred up a little. It is amazing how much community support Tech receives here at home and all with a smaller enrollment, surrounding community and alumni base. Maybe TD et al will be the spark we need to make the Texas skies glow. GMG

I see UNT Alum or friend every once in a while out here in Lubbock but I know there are a a lot more that need to be stirred up a little. It is amazing how much community support Tech receives here at home and all with a smaller enrollment, surrounding community and alumni base. Maybe TD et al will be the spark we need to make the Texas skies glow. GMG

Denton's support of it's own college team is about the poorest I can think of in 1-A.....

except Dallas' for SMUt.... :mellow:

Edited by NT80

It's not just Denton's support...what about the poor and POOER support from UNT itself?????? Where are the students???? Where are the professors, administrators, etc., etc.???? These folks either attend the University or make their living from being employed by the University...where are they???? They do not even support the University enough to join the Exes in any great numbers. Hard to believe that...if I was a UNT grad and got my paycheck from UNT and would darn sure be an active member of the Exes and Mean Green Club. Thatw ay I could support various areas of the University...not just sports or just academics. I know many staff and faculty who DO support the University and are Exes members and do but season tickets (and attends games), but that is the exception...not the rule. And, for me...I am pretty darn tired of looking across at the "student" section at all the empty seats at both football and basketball games. What's up with that????? Come on...let's find out what we can do about that too.

How about let's get some UNT flas out around town...especially on the square...when UNT plays at home....at least that might be a start...ever been to some of the Big 12, SEC, etc. towns on games days????? Denton needs to look like that!

Part of the problem is that we (UNT) IN THE PAST has seemed to have an inferiority complex...we were the "communter school", the "music school", we were the "counter-culture school", etc., etc. where it was cool to not attend games, not openly support the school, etc. It's time we quit apologizing for anything and started letting everyone know that we are UNT....an emerging research institution with high quality academic and athletic programs...we should take second place to NO ONE and we should act like it!

Me for one, am proud of being a two-time graduate of UNT! And...I let people know it!

How about let's get some UNT flas out around town...especially on the square...when UNT plays at home....at least that might be a start...ever been to some of the Big 12, SEC, etc. towns on games days????? Denton needs to look like that!

I agree with your post. There seems to be some sort of non support aura around the University that I can not explain nor figure a way to fix. I started supporting UNT in the mid 70s when my older brother started there and then followed as a student in '79. I think it has always been that way. I think it will take time to fix but it will have to fix itself. The increases we are seeing now will continue and after a few years it will be done.

I am working on the flag situation. I am almost finished with the contract process to have flags done for this football season. I was hoping to get the Talons (or some campus organization) interested in a flag program where they go to business and put up flags at about $2.00/flag on Friday then take them down on Sunday. "Flag rental". At the end of the season there should be a little profit to help out the Talons as well. As long as I cover my cost we're good. Flags are great! Lubbock on game weekends, with all of the flags around town is a cool sight to see. I have approached a few businesses in Denton and offered them a free flag if they would put it up and most seemed receptive.

Glad to hear you are getting some response to the flag question. That's a start. I was told once that we "couldn't do it" on the square because the flags would get stolen! Ouch! Not true...I hope. I hope to get a flag myself and fly it at home on game days and special event days for the University. If we at least start, others may follow. Thanks for taking the lead in this "ShopMeanGreen". Please keep us posted on your progress and when flags might be available.

I am still going through the hoops with CLC, UNT and production in China before the flags are ready. I won't have any made until I get the licensing OK but hope that will be mid July. I am trying to get the cost down to about $20.00 or less. The flags are pretty thin but I think that's OK. I am also trying to get the cost down by buying in the hundreds so I hope the Mean Green Nation won't let me down. More when available, Todd

I think that we should issue a challenge to the Denton fans to see if they can outnumber the Southlake fans at any ONE home game.

Look at Denton's support of their High Schools if you want a true picture of how warped the town really is. Just a couple of years ago Denton Ryan was to play Southlake Carroll in a NATIONALY televised game--- Ryan actually sent back a great deal of its ticket allotment back to Southlake, which their fans quickly gobbled up. The next year when Ryan had the home field it was like Carroll was the home team outnumbering Ryan's fans by 3 to 1 at least. If a town won't support Texas high school football with their own kids playing it's tough to get them to the university. I have wondered before about the number of fans in the west stands from Denton vs. elsewhere. I would bet that non-Dentonites outnumber the locals by at least 2 to 1. The message here is market to the metroplex and quit mollycodilling Denton.