Magic Camp: Dodge Packs 'em In At Unt

GreenBat

Magic camp: Dodge packs 'em in at UNT

by Dave McNabb Thu, Jun 14, 2007, 02:46 PM

Todd Dodge's 16th annual QB/WR camp remains one of the Southwest USA's top draws for young talent. Dodge started the camp as a North Texas assistant and after leading Southlake Carroll to four state titles in the last five years, Dodge and his camp moved back to the University of North Texas. Dodge was named North Texas coach last December.

The camp drew 600 players this week from as far away as North Carolina, Mississippi, every Texas border state and hundreds from around the state including San Antonio, Smithson Valley, Katy, Austin Westlake and Allen.

Magic camp: Dodge packs 'em in at UNT

by Dave McNabb Thu, Jun 14, 2007, 02:46 PM

Todd Dodge's 16th annual QB/WR camp remains one of the Southwest USA's top draws for young talent. Dodge started the camp as a North Texas assistant and after leading Southlake Carroll to four state titles in the last five years, Dodge and his camp moved back to the University of North Texas. Dodge was named North Texas coach last December.

The camp drew 600 players this week from as far away as North Carolina, Mississippi, every Texas border state and hundreds from around the state including San Antonio, Smithson Valley, Katy, Austin Westlake and Allen.

This is good not only for the football program but will bring potential future students and parents to the campus that might not otherwise have visited or considered UNT. I already see many quotes about first-time visitors being surprised about the campus and facilites in Denton.

David McNabb

TexasPrepXtra.com Staff

Todd Dodge's 16th annual QB/WR camp remains one of the Southwest USA's top draws for young talent. Dodge started the camp as a North Texas assistant and after leading Southlake Carroll to four state titles in the last five years, Dodge and his camp moved back to the University of North Texas. Dodge was named UNT coach last December.

Dodge's camp had 300 7th-9th graders in the morning and 300 10th-12th graders in the afternoon at Denton's Fouts field and the UNT athletic complex. Putting that in perspective, most camps are considered a huge success if they get about 150 kids.

Among the camp standouts was Rockwall senior Braden Smith, who continues to show a strong, accurate arm and his setting visits for several college camps the rest of the summer ...

The camp surprise was Fort Worth All Saints junior Doak Ralston, a 6-1 junior with a power arm .. He'll be with first-year All Saints coach Aaron Beck, who just had Cal signee Brock Mansion while at ESD

McKinney sophomore quarterback Zach Lee and Hebron junior QB Tanner Marsh had strong camps ... Southlake Carroll WR Chris Brainard, on the recruiting bubble of North Texas, SMU, TCU and Utah, looked very good

Plano junior Rex Burkhead signed up for the camp as a quarterback but he suffered a sprained ankle training last week .. Burkhead recovered from a mild sprain but then got ill on Tuesday and Wednesday. He stopped by for a visit Thursday looking about 10 pounds lighter but not limping .. Burkhead will play free safety and then alternate between running back, receiver and quarterback offensively

Euless Trinity, which has a power running offense but always stocked with good athletes, had a pair of standout quarterbacks in Denarius McGhee and Stetson Smith. Trojans receiver Tyree Tucker looked as good as expected and Ross Apo shined as well

From Georgetown, senior quarterback Morgan Mickan was a strong all week as was Austin Anderson senior Duncan McGee.

And if you think Southlake Carroll is going to run dry anytime soon, you haven't seen incoming freshman Matt Katz, whose strong arm and well-trained Dragons work ethic got him a first-day Pacesetter Award and excellent showing all week.

Hopefully this is already sinking in with our Mean Green. :) Wondering how many games we lost in the past two years because of stupid penalties & lack of execution ? :huh:

I remember reading an article about SLC players under Dodge & Co. saying they had to execute a play perfect in practice 10 times before moving on to something else... :)

Jealousy is SO ugly....

Ponies reaction to Dodge's camp drawing triple the attendance of SMU's camp:

Phonie Fan Board Thread

I'm not buying that figure and by the way, I really don't care how many Dodge got in there. He'll get his kids who are Sun Belt material and we'll get ours who are CUSA material.

lame

Same CUSA material that lost to our 2-10 Belt material. Same CUSA material that lost 41-17 to Troy in the NO Bowl.

I'm a huge Miner fan and with that a CUSA lover, but SMU is really making me mad. No one really wants to say it, but I don't think anyone cares to be associated with them. They rub shoulders and dance with a bigger conference, thus "empowering" themselves to shit in the Belt's direction. But they haven't really done anything. They haven't been to a bowl since, what, the Death Penalty? UNT can shake our fist at them in victory, and the rest of CUSA West is looking over their shoulder going, "Shouldn't you be winning by now?" They couldn't beat our squad last year, which has to be an embarrassment to CUSA. Everyone questions their attendance figures. Do they even know how to count down there on the Hill, and how close are they to falling below the attendance requirement? Heck, I'll admit it: they lost to a UTEP team that lost 5-of-6 down the stretch, including bad losses to Marshall and Memphis.

Bennett has his most promising season coming up. He better produce, because the entire Metroplex is starting to laugh at them.

Edited by greenminer

"Because what's every 18 year olds dream? To play under the bright lights of the Sun Belt for their 1 Bowl Tie in."

How many bowl tie ins does CUSA have?

How many bowl tie ins does SBC have?

How many bowls have our Mean Green played in say, over the past 10 years?

How many bowls have the phonies played in say, the last 20 years?

I think I'll call SCOREBOARD on them right now. :P

Imagine having this camp in a new stadium. The players would love it and it would do wonders when they go back to their states and tell people about it and show pictures to everyone.