Big Xii Commissioner Calls It Quits

MeanGreen61

Departing Big 12 commish leaves legacy of prosperity

Associated Press

Updated: June 14, 2007, 2:51 PM ET

DALLAS -- Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg will resign next month to take a job with the Big Ten Network.

Kevin Weiberg is leaving the Big 12 to work for the Big Ten Network in an unknown capacity.

During nearly a decade on the job, Weiberg was credited with doubling the annual revenue distributed to member schools to a record $106 million last year. He started in December 1998.

"There is never a perfect time to depart a position like this," Weiberg said Thursday. "I am proud of the growth and progress of the Big 12 over the last nine years."

Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said Weiberg brought unity to the league, a merger of the Midwest-based Big Eight and four Southwest Conference schools in Texas.

"It was a shock, unexpected," Myers said. "It's definitely better as a result of his leadership the last nine years. We'll definitely miss him and wish him the best."

No replacement has been chosen. Harvey Perlman, chairman of the Big 12 Board of Directors, said he will consult with other board members to determine a transition plan.

Weiberg recently helped close a television contract with ABC and ESPN through the 2015-16 academic year.

He also served as coordinator of football's Bowl Championship Series for the 2004-05 seasons.

One of Weiberg's darkest days as commissioner came in 2001, when a plane carrying members of the Oklahoma State men's basketball program crashed in Colorado, killing 10. Among the dead was Jared Weiberg, a student manager on the team and the commissioner's nephew.

Weiberg's new job is vice president of university planning and development for the Big Ten Network, which plans to launch in August. The network, a joint venture of the Big Ten Conference and Fox Cable Networks, will cover Big Ten athletic and academic events.

Steve Hatchell was the Big 12's first commissioner, serving two years after the league began competition in 1996. Dave Martin served in an interim role until Weiberg was hired.

Just throwing darts randomly here:

My first thought about the whole revenue-doubling thing was BCS. I don't think I need to explain.

I wonder if all the recent OU allegations have had anything to do with this and the timing. Pure speculation though.

Best wishes to him in the Big 10 Network.

-stv

Remember the article concerning the BCS Nazi AD at Ohio State and how he and the PAC 10 created the BCS? Remember how it explained about all the other power hitters who "feared" to cross him? It had a qoute from Weiberg in which he admitted a sense of understudy compared to the Ohio State guy and the power he carried. I should have known all along in that qoute that he was mearly sucking up for that next step up.

Rick