Setting The Record Straight

Harry

There were some comments and articles indicating that Lance had been involved in an altercation at Haltom and I just wanted to clear the air about the incident and let everyone know what a good kid he is. In Lance's junior season he had a new coach at Haltom who installed a "towel" drill which is much like a tug-of-war between two players. This coach told the players "let the best man win" and basically left it wide open and did not provide any rules of engagement. During the incident, Lance accidentally leaned into the other players groin. He immediately apologized. At the time, nothing was said, the player walked off and did not cry or indicate any injury. A couple of days later at school a police officer showed up due to a complaint filed by the other kids parents. Anyway it turns out that these same parents filed a complaint against another player in their son's freshman year! This entire incident was nothing more than an accident in a uncontrolled practice situation where accidents can happen. Anyway, this was a clear case of over zealous parents getting involved in a situation that didn't require their intervention. I have this information from someone I trust greatly who was closely associated with the program there and who is very familiar with Lance and knows what a good person he is.

Anyway I just wanted make sure everyone knew the real story. I also have learned that Lance had offers from, Colorado, Ok State, Virginia, Iowa State and Texas Tech. He also had heavy interest from Kansas, A$M and Missouri. He is an OUTSTANDING athlete that is tailormade for Dodge's offense as he has tremendous speed, cutting ability and great hands out of the backfield. He wanted to stay closer to home and has tremendous respect for Coach Dodge and his staff.

GMG!

Lance had offers from, Colorado, Ok State, Virginia, Iowa State and Texas Tech. He also had heavy interest from Kansas, A$M and Missouri. He is an OUTSTANDING athlete that is tailormade for Dodge's offense as he has tremendous speed, cutting ability and great hands out of the backfield.

That's what we like to see; no more SE Louisianas, Abilene Christians, etc.

If we find out all the good stuff now about these guys, what will we have to talk about next February after signing day? B)

Many years ago a coaching staff I know wanted to "toughen up" their kids and used this same drill but with a stick that was about two feet long. Two kids would get on their knees facing each other on a mat. The two opponents would grab the stick with both hands. When the coach said "go" the kids tried to wrestle the stick away from their opponent. One day one of the players did something that forced them to change the drill. When the coach said "go" this player turned loose of the stick with his right hand -keeping hold with his left - and punched his opponent right in the nose. The opponent howled and grabbed his nose with both hands. The winner grinned, flipped the stick to the coach, and walked off the mat. The rules had to be changed after that. Funny story...but true.

Many years ago a coaching staff I know wanted to "toughen up" their kids and used this same drill but with a stick that was about two feet long. Two kids would get on their knees facing each other on a mat. The two opponents would grab the stick with both hands. When the coach said "go" the kids tried to wrestle the stick away from their opponent. One day one of the players did something that forced them to change the drill. When the coach said "go" this player turned loose of the stick with his right hand -keeping hold with his left - and punched his opponent right in the nose. The opponent howled and grabbed his nose with both hands. The winner grinned, flipped the stick to the coach, and walked off the mat. The rules had to be changed after that. Funny story...but true.

We had a similar drill where we stood up on our feet but weren't allowed to let go of the stick - period. One hand off = loss. Situations would arise where guys would fall to the ground, one on top of another, and coaches encouraging the student on top to use the stick to choke his opponent until he let go. Never heard of lawsuits from those situations, but you brought back some forgotten memories!