Latest On Sturns & Odufuwa

From Vito's blog

May 19, 2007

Sturns out, Odufuwa appears in at UNT

North Texas head coach Johnny Jones was as surprised as anyone when he heard on Saturday that Michael Sturns is headed to Holy Family in Philadelphia.

Jones gave Sturns his release a few weeks back, but wouldn't talk about his guard's departure until he had settled on a destination. Jones said he knew Sturns was considering Holy Family. He also visited Angelo State a few weeks ago. Former UNT assistant Fred Rike coaches ASU.

The departure of Sturns opens up a scholarship that appears to be a lock to go to Arizona State transfer George Odufuwa. Royce Johnson, a former UNT player who coached Odufuwa at Dallas Kimball, said Saturday that the 6-7 power forward was just waiting to hear from Jones to finalize his transfer.

Jones was on his way to the Sun Belt Conference meetings on Saturday afternoon.

For more on Sturns, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

Posted by Brett Vito at 4:19 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0

I emailed Vito, letting him know what was posted.

He called asst. coach Charlie Leonard and this is what his response was

"The Sturns deal was news to him."

I (Vito) will see what I can find. I think he might have snuck out the back door.

Edited by GreenBat

I don't really get that. Why would Michael be "sneaking out the back door"......if he was given his release two weeks ago? And why would this be "news" to Charlie Leonard?

I mean, if we gave the young man the release....why should we care where he goes? It's his life. Good luck to Michael at HF. I wish him the best.

I don't really get that. Why would Michael be "sneaking out the back door"......if he was given his release two weeks ago? And why would this be "news" to Charlie Leonard?

I mean, if we gave the young man the release....why should we care where he goes? It's his life. Good luck to Michael at HF. I wish him the best.

I agree, if a player asks for a release and the coach grants it then it's obvious to expect he's probably leaving when he finds a fit somewhere else. Where's the surprise?