Michael Sturns

Cooley

It's true:

http://extra.holyfamily.edu/athletics/storydetail.asp?id=651

Men's Basketball inks Sturns for upcoming 2007-08 academic year (5/17/2007)

PHILADELPHIA – Holy Family Head Men’s Basketball Coach Alfred Johnson has announced that Michael Sturns has signed with the Tigers for the 2007-08 season. Sturns will transfer to Holy Family from the University of North Texas.

Sturns, a 6-5 point guard from Fort Worth, Texas, was the top scoring sixth man in the Sun Belt Conference last season for the Mean Green. Sturns averaged 12.1 points per game and 3.9 rebounds per contest while at North Texas, helping the team advance to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament. He scored a career-high 28 points in a loss to the University of New Orleans on December 16.

During the 2005-06 season, Sturns played in 18 of the first 19 games, scoring in double figures nine times during the span.

While at North Crowley High School, Sturns was a McDonald’s All-America nominee and an all-state nominee as he averaged 18.3 points per game.

“Sturns is a big, quick scoring point guard that will help our program,” Johnson said.

Holy Family finished 19-9 last season, finishing in a three-way tie atop the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference.

:o

A big loss of talent for the program. Out of control some of the time, but still a good athlete. He had some NBA moves.

Edited by NT80

I liked Michael but don't kid yourself, this is good for him and us. He was exposed against Memphis at the point and I honestly don't think he is a good enough shooter to play off guard and too short to play swing. This will open up a spot for a big man. With all of the point guard talent and as good as Collin Dennis is supposed to be Michael would have garnered precious few minutes this coming season.

Michael was one of the few basketball players listed on the AD academic honor roll as I recall. That being said, I think it will benefit him personaly to transfer to a private religous school that far from home where he should be able to start.

I for one don't think this is good news. I wonder if we will ever know what is going on? It is all speculation at this point, but I doubt very seriously that a player that has played major minutes for three years and was a key cog in the best team NT has fielded in decades was all of a sudden not good enough to play on a team that at this point does not have one proven player at the wing position. There may be reasons that this will work out better for NT but it is not because Sturns was a liability on the court.

Edited by GrandGreen

Sturns always scared me on the court, but he seemed to calm down a lot this last season. I for one, hate to see him go. He certainly is dropping down several levels to play at H.F.

I looked at their schedule and I didn't recognize one school after their exhibitation with Villanova.

He was either great or terrible while on the court...there was no in between with this guy. Made it fun to watch but someone that sits near me at the pit used to say "here comes the circus" whenever he checked into a game and I think that came as close to describing his game as anything. That being said, I hope he does well up there in PA.

I for one don't think this is good news. I wonder if we will ever know what is going on? It is all speculation at this point, but I doubt very seriously that a player that has played major minutes for three years and was a key cog in the best team NT has fielded in decades was all of a sudden not good enough to play on a team that at this point does not have one proven player at the wing position. There may be reasons that this will work out better for NT but it is not because Sturns was a liability on the court.

Oh this has completly made my day. And here is what's going on: For the past 3 season Michael Sturns has felt he is the second coming of combination of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson. The "Point God" (the ink he has on his arm if you were unaware) makes the spectacular play once a game and it has seemingly had the ability to make people forget about the 5 terrible plays and the 5 mis-executed routine plays he makes per game. Our half-court offense goes from a structure 4-high w/o Sturns on the floor to 7 seconds worth of crossovers and a fall away 23 foot jumper. He commited 81 turnovers to just 55 assists. He shot 40 of 114 from 3. He shot under 70% from the free throw line. He was third on the team in scoring because he put up 318 shots, about 9 a game, second on the team only to Calvin Watson. Sturns was a huge liability when he was on the floor...

However he is still on this team if he were even a half-way decent person or teammate. He has had the notion of his omnipotence on the basketball court since high school...Keith Langford (former NCHS and Kansas standout) couldn't stand playing with him. He was clearly an outcast on this team. His response following the Memphis loss was simply to say "he had an off night." His work ethic has been incredibly suspect since he arrived. This is why he was kicked off the team as a sophomore and not offered a scholarship last season. The fact that JJ let him play as a walk-on was Sturns' second chance. He was our Antoine Walker...and he should have plenty of shots and pointless crossovers at Holy Family.

A Gala Day for Mean Green Basketball!!!

Lets go sign a big and be ready to dance again next March!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Oh this has completly made my day. And here is what's going on: For the past 3 season Michael Sturns has felt he is the second coming of combination of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Oscar Robertson. The "Point God" (the ink he has on his arm if you were unaware) makes the spectacular play once a game and it has seemingly had the ability to make people forget about the 5 terrible plays and the 5 mis-executed routine plays he makes per game. Our half-court offense goes from a structure 4-high w/o Sturns on the floor to 7 seconds worth of crossovers and a fall away 23 foot jumper. He commited 81 turnovers to just 55 assists. He shot 40 of 114 from 3. He shot under 70% from the free throw line. He was third on the team in scoring because he put up 318 shots, about 9 a game, second on the team only to Calvin Watson. Sturns was a huge liability when he was on the floor...

However he is still on this team if he were even a half-way decent person or teammate. He has had the notion of his omnipotence on the basketball court since high school...Keith Langford (former NCHS and Kansas standout) couldn't stand playing with him. He was clearly an outcast on this team. His response following the Memphis loss was simply to say "he had an off night." His work ethic has been incredibly suspect since he arrived. This is why he was kicked off the team as a sophomore and not offered a scholarship last season. The fact that JJ let him play as a walk-on was Sturns' second chance. He was our Antoine Walker...and he should have plenty of shots and pointless crossovers at Holy Family.

A Gala Day for Mean Green Basketball!!!

Lets go sign a big and be ready to dance again next March!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Sturns was still worthy of a scholarship as part of JJ's rotation. Blame JJ a little bit for some of the stats you mentioned as his coach. I can think of 4 other players I would have preferred to transfer before Sturns. (Not counting Harold Edwards) Imagine the number of turnovers if some of them ever got on the court. At least Sturns is a D1 talent that his teammates voted back on the team. I think it was well documented that he matured after being kicked off the team and when his grandmother passed. I recall Kendrick Davis and Calvin Watson speaking of him quite fondly

UNT did not exactly play a killer schedule last year and probably wont in 07-08. I would not blame any losses on his play during the season. He did have an awful game Memphis. Doesn't matter if the game would have been a little closer; we lost. It might help if we can schedule more of these type games during the season to better prepare the team for the elite.

Every team needs quality depth regardless of the sport.

Lastly, I would also imagine that if he was such a bad character that he could have found any other DII school other than Holy Family

Guest GrayEagleOne

Without question, Michael Sturns was a head case but he was also the most talented player on the squad. Those are not only my thoughts but those of a former coach and HOF member. Last year he played out of his strength. He simply was not a point guard. The year before he led the team in several categories if you factor in per minute played.

I think that Sturns did make an effort to clean up his act but maybe he has to be a little outrageous to be good. I know that I will miss him and I wish him well.

Without question, Michael Sturns was a head case but he was also the most talented player on the squad. Those are not only my thoughts but those of a former coach and HOF member. Last year he played out of his strength. He simply was not a point guard. The year before he led the team in several categories if you factor in per minute played.

I think that Sturns did make an effort to clean up his act but maybe he has to be a little outrageous to be good. I know that I will miss him and I wish him well.

I'm floored at the number of Sturns apologists on here...is it that any player in Green is beyond reproach? Sturns has never been the most talented player on any Mean Green team...nor would he have been this year. He doesn't handle the ball well enough to play the point...he doesn't shoot the ball well enough to play the 2...and he's not big enough or athletic enough to play the 3. He scored his points by playing Sturns ball...inappropriate drives through three defenders, out-of-rythem jumpshots and forced transition situations. Any sort of structured offense broke down when he was on the floor...whether it be at the 1 or the 2/3. He does not understand a team focused game. I have never blamed a loss on Sturns...not even the Memphis game...I do blame him for being the catalyst for the 2 big Memphis runs...I do blame him for not finding a better shooter and deciding to pull up for a 25 ft. 3 in the last regular season game with ASU, but the loss falls at the feet of the team. He was capable of big games...but give me a guy I know I can count on for 8-10 points per night rather than the guy who may drop 25 one night and 3 the next. The over-riding factor in all of this is simple: THIS TEAM WILL BE BETTER WITHOUT MICHAEL STURNS. His departure frees up a scholarship for a much needed big man...it means that there is a role on this team next season for Collin Mangrum, Tristan Thompson, Adam McCoy, Ryan McCoy and Josh White. Will any of these players ever lead the team in scoring...no, probably not...but nor will they lead the team in turnovers or hinder the continuity of the offense. No longer will you have to say "here comes the circus" or have the reserved 'oh no " moments.

He was definately in the running to be the Memphis MVP :angry:

Let's now get rid of Dirk Nowitzki, the Warriors' MVP. Forget about the 6th best regular season record of 67 wins. He's not strong enough at 7 ft to play center. Passes up shoots, plays no defense. Has no confidence. Can't receive the pass down low. Needs his buddy Steve Nash. etc etc etc. We don't care he was the league's MVP all season long, we blame him for not showing up against Memphis. What do we have coaches for? Can they not sit him down just like Stewart. Howerton, Mangrum, Jackson & Edwards?

Holy Mean Green Family!

Bingo. I am with you on this. You don't have major contibutors to your program just up and leave like this without there being more going on. One of my big concerns with JJ has always been the way players just leave his teams. Something goes on here that we will probably never know.

Bingo. I am with you on this. You don't have major contibutors to your program just up and leave like this without there being more going on. One of my big concerns with JJ has always been the way players just leave his teams. Something goes on here that we will probably never know.

Sturns was a major contributor? Who knew... <_<

The guy was a nut...a nut who, at least from all the stories I've heard, was very much disliked by his teammates. Why would you want this guy messing up the chemistry between the rest of your team?

Let's now get rid of Dirk Nowitzki, the Warriors' MVP. Forget about the 6th best regular season record of 67 wins. He's not strong enough at 7 ft to play center. Passes up shoots, plays no defense. Has no confidence. Can't receive the pass down low. Needs his buddy Steve Nash. etc etc etc. We don't care he was the league's MVP all season long, we blame him for not showing up against Memphis. What do we have coaches for? Can they not sit him down just like Stewart. Howerton, Mangrum, Jackson & Edwards?

Holy Mean Green Family!

My post referred to ONE game, the most important game the Mean Green have played in years. You can't deny that Sterns was pathetic vs Memphis. His team mates stepped up, but he certainly didn't.