Saturday Graduation Saw Zach Muzzy

I finally finished my MBA and chose to walk Saturday. Shook Dr. B's hand and thanked her for the work she was doing. Saw Zach walked, but I didn't hear any other names I recognized. Brendan Higgins, NBC 5 personality and alum, spoke about North Texas Exes and how an athletic program and going to a major bowl will help bring fame to our school and raise the value of all our degrees. Good speech but the crowd didn't give him much.

Now something surprised me, probably more than it should have, but at the end of the ceremony when we were led in the Alma Mater, I believe I was 1 of 2 in the business masters group that held up the Talons... Now being an alum from 99, I can understand that I may have a closer attachment to the school than others in the master program, but the I looked at the undergraduates and the other schools. I would say maybe 1-in-20 (i.e. one per row) had the claws up, and most were not held above their shoulder, like they were embarrassed or something... Even the singer didn't hold up his Talons until a few measures into singing. Worse case, they need to at least instruct the new graduates to hold up their Talons with pride at the singing of the alma mater. I guess it just another indication of the lack of spirit in the student body and an issue that needs to be addressed.

Either way, GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Class of `99 BS in CS & `07 MBA

I finally finished my MBA and chose to walk Saturday. Shook Dr. B's hand and thanked her for the work she was doing. Saw Zach walked, but I didn't hear any other names I recognized. Brendan Higgins, NBC 5 personality and alum, spoke about North Texas Exes and how an athletic program and going to a major bowl will help bring fame to our school and raise the value of all our degrees. Good speech but the crowd didn't give him much.

Now something surprised me, probably more than it should have, but at the end of the ceremony when we were led in the Alma Mater, I believe I was 1 of 2 in the business masters group that held up the Talons... Now being an alum from 99, I can understand that I may have a closer attachment to the school than others in the master program, but the I looked at the undergraduates and the other schools. I would say maybe 1-in-20 (i.e. one per row) had the claws up, and most were not held above their shoulder, like they were embarrassed or something... Even the singer didn't hold up his Talons until a few measures into singing. Worse case, they need to at least instruct the new graduates to hold up their Talons with pride at the singing of the alma mater. I guess it just another indication of the lack of spirit in the student body and an issue that needs to be addressed.

It may be a lack of school spirit or it could be the lack of knowledge about how spirit is expressed through traditions like the eagle claw or even who the Talons are. As most know, I am a huge fan and I still don't understand exactly what the Talons are other than a "spirit club," though I hear folks argue about them on this board all the time. The only chance that I know of for students to learn about eagle claws, spirit songs, etc. are when they attend football and basketball games, which as we all know, attendance has been down quite a bit. Hopefully Todd Dodge and our recent NCAA tourny birth will help get everyone excited about UNT sports... I know I am.

It may be a lack of school spirit or it could be the lack of knowledge about how spirit is expressed through traditions like the eagle claw or even who the Talons are. As most know, I am a huge fan and I still don't understand exactly what the Talons are other than a "spirit club," though I hear folks argue about them on this board all the time. The only chance that I know of for students to learn about eagle claws, spirit songs, etc. are when they attend football and basketball games, which as we all know, attendance has been down quite a bit. Hopefully Todd Dodge and our recent NCAA tourny birth will help get everyone excited about UNT sports... I know I am.

You know his post has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORGANIZATION, right? His entire second paragraph is about holding up your eagle claw, aka talon, while you sing the alma mater.

I think the problem with doing it vs. not doing it is the formal setting of graduation. I know a few people who were up there helping with the Exes table didn't know if it was proper to do it then, so they did it kinda low as well.

Great Points.... I believe that each student should be required to enter the ceremony with talons up or is it talons out....Oh boy, I think that this thread is about to get hijacked....

Great Points.... I believe that each student should be required to enter the ceremony with talons up or is it talons out....Oh boy, I think that this thread is about to get hijacked....

I don't know that anything should ever be REQUIRED. However, it would be a nice gesture.

I think the problem with doing it vs. not doing it is the formal setting of graduation. I know a few people who were up there helping with the Exes table didn't know if it was proper to do it then, so they did it kinda low as well.

I can see that for sure... But once their fellow alums on the stage, as well as the singer, hold their claws up you would think they would follow. UNT's traditions web site defines "the eagle hand sign as our universal sign of pride and unity." The video says to hold it up especially during the singing of our Alma Matter. Not holding it against anyone, but I think what better place to show your school spirit & pride than at graduation when you are transitioning from student to alumni.

On a side note, I was also amazed at the number of graduates that did not remove their hats during the singing of the National Anthem. This is mainly directed at the guys, as I can understand if there are hair issues with the women. Even though I'm in my early 30's am I considered old fashion to expect this?

I can see that for sure... But once their fellow alums on the stage, as well as the singer, hold their claws up you would think they would follow. UNT's traditions web site defines "the eagle hand sign as our universal sign of pride and unity." The video says to hold it up especially during the singing of our Alma Matter. Not holding it against anyone, but I think what better place to show your school spirit & pride than at graduation when you are transitioning from student to alumni.

On a side note, I was also amazed at the number of graduates that did not remove their hats during the singing of the National Anthem. This is mainly directed at the guys, as I can understand if there are hair issues with the women. Even though I'm in my early 30's am I considered old fashion to expect this?

This would seem to not only show ignorance of the traditions of UNT, but a general ignorance of what national pride and tradition is as well. If they really have that little interest, they should have their diplomas mailed. My condolences to the parents and those who supplied the siphoned off financial aid for the embarrassment that these students brought upon themselves by their display of ignorance.

This would seem to not only show ignorance of the traditions of UNT, but a general ignorance of what national pride and tradition is as well. If they really have that little interest, they should have their diplomas mailed. My condolences to the parents and those who supplied the siphoned off financial aid for the embarrassment that these students brought upon themselves by their display of ignorance.

QUOTE(jimmyjames_99 @ May 14 2007, 01:17 PM)

I can see that for sure... But once their fellow alums on the stage, as well as the singer, hold their claws up you would think they would follow. UNT's traditions web site defines "the eagle hand sign as our universal sign of pride and unity." The video says to hold it up especially during the singing of our Alma Matter. Not holding it against anyone, but I think what better place to show your school spirit & pride than at graduation when you are transitioning from student to alumni. On a side note, I was also amazed at the number of graduates that did not remove their hats during the singing of the National Anthem. This is mainly directed at the guys, as I can understand if there are hair issues with the women. Even though I'm in my early 30's am I considered old fashion to expect this?

I agree, and no, it's never too old fashioned. It's very sad. It's always been tradtional for men to remove their hats, and with women, it's optional. What's even sadder is that you'd be suprised how many people dont know all the words. Next time the Olympics roles around, pay attention to some of the American athletes that win the gold, and stand there during the anthem. Sure, some people just sing because they're just not "singers" - but others, you can read some of their lips at times. They'll know the first couple of lines, and last few words, but have no idea how the middle portion of the National Anthem goes... That's so embarrassing to me.

Edited by trud1966

A Google on "commencement caps 'national anthem'" reveals that virtually every college asks only men to remove their caps during the anthem. Women are exempt. It seems that the MC should state that before the song starts: "Guys, take off your freakin' hats, for cryin' out loud."

On the raised talon, again, a little guidance from the podium helps. But a fact of college life is that lots of people are in college to get their exit papers, not for the total experience. There's little to be done about those folks. Besides, I don't think 5 percent of college students anywhere (a completely fictitious and unscientific number) know the words to their alma mater.

I suggest strongly that the announcer at FB and BB games should ask everybody to stick around for "Glory to the Green" and should instruct people on the raised talon. And they should put the words on the Jumbotron. It would be great if the whole crowd sang it so the visiting team could hear it in their locker room.

Finally, I wouldn't mind if we could shoot a little higher than a Channel 5 guy for the commencement speaker. Granted, he's an alum and I'm sure he's a swell guy, but so are a zillion people, including me. How about a star, a celebrity, a big shot?

Finally, I wouldn't mind if we could shoot a little higher than a Channel 5 guy for the commencement speaker. Granted, he's an alum and I'm sure he's a swell guy, but so are a zillion people, including me. How about a star, a celebrity, a big shot?

Yes I heard from a lot of parents that they were hoping for a 'key-note' speaker, someone admirable to really send the former students off with a challenge.

Overall I thought the 9am Ceremony went really smoothly. Only a few fumbles in speeches and everything seemed to transition really well. I am hoping someone could clear something up however, I am almost 99% sure that I heard Dr. B introduce the UNT systems...chancellor or dean (top dog) as 'The University of Texas systems'....I didn't hear the ever important 'North' in there and was just wondering.

I did love that the News guy stated how important it was for people to stay connected and join NT Exes and to support UNT sports. And he even gave a reason, which lets face it some people need, as that it makes our school more recognizable and that will make our degree more valuable.

He was speaking on behalf of the North Texas Exes. He wasn't the keynote speaker. I assume there was a different main speaker at each of the different sessions.

I am almost 99% sure that I heard Dr. B introduce the UNT systems...chancellor or dean (top dog) as 'The University of Texas systems'....I didn't hear the ever important 'North' in there and was just wondering.

I thought I heard that as well. Even saw some snickering on the stage by some of the other deans...

I attended the College of Education graduation. I even noted to my fiance that there were A LOT of people putting their talons up - complete with hand motions. I would say 40% of the students did it.

This makes me feel a little better. I imagine that the feeling of inappropriateness stems from the fact that 99% of the time you hear the alma mater is at sporting events and being at graduation is just a different environment.

Congratulations to Zach and the other graduates. I was hoping that Zach would get an extra year from the NCAA. His career came to a close too early. The best thing that happened to him, though, was getting that degree. We have had some outstanding all conference athletes who did not leave with a degree. Ten years down the road, Zach will be miles ahead of them.

How about... a greaser from the freezer like a Bat Out of Hell?! Whoo!

meatloaf.jpg

Congratulations to Zach and the other graduates. I was hoping that Zach would get an extra year from the NCAA. His career came to a close too early. The best thing that happened to him, though, was getting that degree. We have had some outstanding all conference athletes who did not leave with a degree. Ten years down the road, Zach will be miles ahead of them.

Thanks for your congratulations to Zach, thought I would share a little interesting tidbit. Zach got home on Sunday and he went to visit a couple of his old high school coaches, one is still in Alvin, TX and the other has moved to Kempner High, in Fort Bend Co. They both informed him that Dickey was at their respective schools on Monday recruiting! He went as far as telling one of them that the reason he wasn't still at North Texas was because he didn't do a good enough job! Zach got a kick out of that!

Thanks for your congratulations to Zach, thought I would share a little interesting tidbit. Zach got home on Sunday and he went to visit a couple of his old high school coaches, one is still in Alvin, TX and the other has moved to Kempner High, in Fort Bend Co. They both informed him that Dickey was at their respective schools on Monday recruiting! He went as far as telling one of them that the reason he wasn't still at North Texas was because he didn't do a good enough job! Zach got a kick out of that!

Thanks for the post and sharing

I am proud to say that I had the pleasure of welcoming Zach into the NT Exes while volunteering at the reception in the Gateway Center. He stopped by the Exes table and I "pinned" him, gave him his grad packet with the "coveted" license plate holder and offered my sincere congratulations and good luck.

GMG!