Sporting News Rankings - Non- B C S Coaches

FWIW. Stallion posted on the smoo board.

LINK TO THREAD

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=23750

Link to Sporting News article

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=204688

1. Gary Patterson, TCU

2. Chris Petersen, Boise State

3. Paul Johnson, Navy

4. Jeff Bower, Southern Miss

5. Bronco Mendenhall, BYU

6. Dick Tomey, San Jose State

7. June Jones, Hawaii

8. George O'Leary, UCF

9. Art Briles, Houston

10. Pat Hill, Fresno State

11. Joe Novak, Northern Illinois

12. Larry Blakeney, Troy

13. Mike Price, UTEP

14. Todd Graham, Tulsa

15. Chris Ault, Nevada

16. Tom Amstutz, Toledo

17. J.D. Brookhart, Akron

18. Kyle Whittingham, Utah

19. Frank Solich, Ohio

20. Skip Holtz, East Carolina

21. Sonny Lubick Colorado State

22. Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic

23. Rocky Long, New Mexico

24. Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee State

25. Bill Cubit, Western Michigan

26. Charlie Weatherbie, Louisiana-Monroe

27. Joe Glenn, Wyoming

28. Steve Roberts, Arkansas State

29. Gregg Brandon, Bowling Green

30. Brady Hoke, Ball State

31. Hal Mumme, New Mexico State

32. Tommy West, Memphis

33. Rickey Bustle, Louisiana-Lafayette

34. Shane Montgomery, Miami (Ohio)

35. Phil Bennett, SMU

36. Doug Martin, Kent State

37. Bob Toledo, Tulane

38. Mark Snyder, Marshall

39. David Bailiff, Rice

40. Mike Sanford, UNLV

41. Al Golden, Temple

42. Chuck Long, San Diego State

43. Jeff Genyk, Eastern Michigan

44. Brent Guy, Utah State

45. Turner Gill, Buffalo

46. Neil Callaway, UAB

47. Mario Cristobal, Florida International

48. Troy Calhoun, Air Force

49. Butch Jones, Central Michigan

50. Robb Akey, Idaho

51. Derek Dooley, Louisiana Tech

52. Todd Dodge, North Texas

53. Stan Brock, Army

Edited by MeanGreen61

Considering that his record is 0-0 and he hasn't coached a game yet, he should not be ranked at all. This ranking has no basis. Such a poll should add a disclaimer that a coach like Dodge is not being ranked until after he has at least one season to be evaluated.

Edited by Smitty

Maybe it is based on his recruiting and the fact that we had 5,000 at the spring game.

I'm referring to the fact that they've ranked him next to last among all these coaches. All these coaches are better than Dodge? Based on what? Expectations? Bias against a former high-school coach? Or an actual evaluation of his performance. Oops, can't do that, there is no performance to judge yet!

And, Patterson beat OU on their home field without a roster full of senior and fifth year seniors who entered as nonqualifiers. So, Patterson really is doing more with less than the Boise folk (Koetter, Hawkins, Peterson). Given their performances once they moved up the ladder to conferences with uniform recruiting rules, Koetter and Hawkins have been proven to be no more than average.

Not all athletic directors are stupid. With 25 or so Division I-A head coacing openings after last season, Patterson was named in the Miami search. He was in the Kansas State search the year before. Peterson didn't get a phone call.

Folks, people who do it for a living know what goes on behind the scenes. Most of them do anyway - enough to know better than to look at a school full of Cali nonqualifiers' 1 point overtime win against OU and read too much into it.

Why not just live in the now and admit TCU has a good coach? Some sort of anatomical envy going on with some of you?

And, Patterson beat OU on their home field without a roster full of senior and fifth year seniors who entered as nonqualifiers. So, Patterson really is doing more with less than the Boise folk (Koetter, Hawkins, Peterson). Given their performances once they moved up the ladder to conferences with uniform recruiting rules, Koetter and Hawkins have been proven to be no more than average.

Not all athletic directors are stupid. With 25 or so Division I-A head coacing openings after last season, Patterson was named in the Miami search. He was in the Kansas State search the year before. Peterson didn't get a phone call.

Folks, people who do it for a living know what goes on behind the scenes. Most of them do anyway - enough to know better than to look at a school full of Cali nonqualifiers' 1 point overtime win against OU and read too much into it.

Why not just live in the now and admit TCU has a good coach? Some sort of anatomical envy going on with some of you?

With what TCU is supposed to be paying Coach Patterson, he'd be a fool to leave Frogland for nothing but a Top 10 mega-football school type program.

Sadly (and not living too far from Frogland) I've spoken with several Frog supporters the past few years who somehow think Baylor is going to be asked to leave the Big 12 so TCU can (conveniently) take their place. :rolleyes: What has probably allowed TCU to build its football program in the first place is for the fact that they are not in a Big 12 type conference.

I don't think any Big 12 school will be asked to leave w/o creating some terrific legal ramifications. Baylor's Big 12 TV revenue would probably be 10X's that of most successful non-BCS football programs. Would be interesting to know what TCU's annual football TV revenues have been post-SWC split.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

No one said Patterson wasn't a good coach there Doyle!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Good edit - questions and opinions are two different things, aren't they? A question was asked and an answer was given. Such is generally the way of a message board. You don't have to like or agree with the answer to every question...Doyle....

You mean a typical smartass answer was given by you with the envy accusation. And I rarely like, or agree with any answer you give, but you know that already.

As for the question the list given by the Sporting News is dated for '07. Patterson is a good coach and overall the past several years(again, the list is for '07) probably deserves to be at the top(only the second time I recall ever agreeing with Doyl). But his win on opening day in Norman in '05 is baby$hit compared to Peterson beating them in the Fiesta Bowl in '07.

Rick

Pretty interesting closing comment considering not one person posted about being envious of TCU and their coach.

I'm sure OU is full of Rhodes Scholars. Big deal if they were signed as non-qualifiers, they were making their grades when they beat your beloved OU, who, BTW, was successful for years with players that didn't attend class, dealt drugs, shot up the campus and got paid for jobs they never performed. Oh, and were coached by the "Bootlegger's Boy" that bent the rules any way he could.

Interesting that EVERY Sun Belt coach with tenure is ranked ahead of Phil Bennett. I think Petersen is too high. I'd put Patterson and J. Bowers #1 & #2 in this list. Petersen scored a great season with a HUGE win in the Fiesta bowl, but he's only got 1 year under his belt and had the luxury of returning just about everyone from the year before. Let's see how he does after a few years of recruiting and having to teach a fresh new group that offense without Dan Hawkins around.

Interesting that EVERY Sun Belt coach with tenure is ranked ahead of Phil Bennett. I think Petersen is too high. I'd put Patterson and J. Bowers #1 & #2 in this list. Petersen scored a great season with a HUGE win in the Fiesta bowl, but he's only got 1 year under his belt and had the luxury of returning just about everyone from the year before. Let's see how he does after a few years of recruiting and having to teach a fresh new group that offense without Dan Hawkins around.

BSU was winning before Hawkins. They're probably continue to win after Hawkins, Peterson, etc. I think it was Hawkins that said "Tradition never graduates."

I'd like to know more about non-qualifiers. There seem to be several schools out there with a roster loaded with them (Fresno/Boise come to mind), but I don't know all of them. Come to think of it, the only time I ever find out is when those schools finally get the big win. Probably because there are tons of non-BCSers out there happy to jump on the train and enjoy the moment of the "David beating Goliath", and thus tons that are happy to squash the party and throw out these academic/non-qualifier bits.

Paying players cancels out "non-qualifiers" every time. PERIOD. Oklahoma was caught red handed in that case and who knows what else we don't know about that is going on there.

“All I did was take cash,” J.D. Quinn said. “I didn’t break any laws and I get kicked off the team, but there’s people on the team that are breaking laws and failing drug tests and stuff like that, and there’s nobody getting kicked off the team for that type of stuff.”

....and turned around and lost to lowly SMU the following week

What's your point? That Patterson can't coach?

They both had their crack at 0U and both won. Peterson's been a head coach for exactly 1 year, which is waaay too soon to rank him at #1, IMO.

What's your point? That Patterson can't coach?

They both had their crack at 0U and both won. Peterson's been a head coach for exactly 1 year, which is waaay too soon to rank him at #1, IMO.

Just pointing out he isn't bulletproof. After knocking off OU they should've easily handled SMU. He is a good coach, I'm just not sure about the great part.

And hypothetically, if Todd Dodge was to run the table and beat the likes of OU and Arkansas, would you be willing to put him at the top of the list after just one year?

Edited by Cr1028

Just pointing out he isn't bulletproof. After knocking off OU they should've easily handled SMU. He is a good coach, I'm just not sure about the great part.

Oh, I'm not sure about the 'great' part either. I'm just saying that ranking him ahead of Peterson isn't a stretch.

And hypothetically, if Todd Dodge was to run the table and beat the likes of OU and Arkansas, would you be willing to put him at the top of the list after just one year?

No. ;)