Nfl Draft By Conference

I saw a post stating that there were 5 players drafted from the Sunbelt Conference so I decided to gather a list by conference of how many players were drafted 2007.

I believe this is a direct reflection of how bad the Sunbelt Conference is. I continuously hear people saying that the WAC and CUSA are no better than the SBC, which I completely disagree. I think the Sunbelt is one of the worst conferences in existence, if not the worst then definitely runner up.

As you can see from below the WAC contributed 17 players to the NFL vs. 5 from the SBC. Obviously some important people feel that the WAC is doing something right and recruiting and producing some quality players. That no matter how 'bad' their conference is they feel their players will contribute to the success of the NFL.

Even the MAC had more draft picks that the SBC.

If the WAC is no better than the SBC someone had better let the NFL know.

SEC - 41

Big Ten - 32

ACC - 31

PAC 10 - 28

Big 12 - 28

WAC - 17 (Hawaii 5, Boise 4, Fresno St. 4, San Jose 2, etc.)

Big East - 17

MWC - 9

CUSA - 8

MAC - 8

IND. - 7

SBC - 5

SWAC - 2

I believe this is a direct reflection of how bad the Sunbelt Conference is. I continuously hear people saying that the WAC and CUSA are no better than the SBC, which I completely disagree. I think the Sunbelt is one of the worst conferences in existence, if not the worst then definitely runner up.

I understand your frustation with the Sun Belt, but it is our home for now. Also, based on head to head records this past season, the margin of difference is getting much smaller every year. I think you will see this margin continue to shrink and eventually see the Sun Belt become equal to or greater than the MAC, WAC and C-USA as it continues to grow.

yea i was going to say you have to take into account the fact of the sun belt only having 8 teams. Another thing is that with the league still young and once we add some more teams in the league it will def get alot better. You can already see it in the recruiting this past season for each team

Using that logic: Why were so many Notre Dame players drafter (especially defensive players)? That was a team that got lit up and exposed. Why weren't any TAMU players drafted? They beat UT, that should make the whole team draftable by this logic.

Because team success at the collegiate level doesn't translate necessarily into what the NFL is looking for. And occasionally the NFL doesn't get it right; check with Tony Romo and Dominic Rhodes on that one.

Daddy,

I completely agree with what you are saying...I too believe that the SBC is a very pathetic conference, however just as UNTlifer said it is our home for now. Conferences like the SBC, CUSA, etc will never have high draftees cuz they are just not very good football conferences with a lot of hype. Now if they make it as undrafted free agents then its a different story but as far as being drafted I would never expect our conferences never to get very many. Although I must say i'm pretty impressed with the WAC producing 17 draftees....and yet I for some reason still dont comprehend why people think the WAC would not be good for NT. But thats a different story I guess. Good numbers tho daddy.