Tristan Thompson Signs Loi, It's Official

OldTimer

DENTON (4/28/07) – North Texas men’s basketball coach Johnny Jones inked former All-State Angleton High School guard Tristan Thompson to a National Letter of Intent on Saturday.

Thompson, who brings a history of winning to the Mean Green, was ranked the 18th best player in the state out of Angleton High according to Hoopscoop.com, and spent last season leading Brewster Academy (N.H.) to the NEPSAC Championship game.

“The signing of Tristan will really help fill the void left by our three graduating wing players. He has the ability to hit the outside shot, and can get to the basket on the dribble as well,” Jones said. “He has an incredible ability to get to the free throw line and makes the most of his opportunities when he gets there. He will be a great addition to this team for the next four years.”

The District 24-4A MVP as a senior, Thompson (6-5, 185) led Angleton to its first ever trip to the state tournament, and a 35-4 record. Thompson averaged 26.7 points per game and boasted an 80 percent mark from the free throw line, earning All-State and State Tournament team appointments. A potent scorer, Thompson had a pair of 40-plus point performances in the Wildcats’ playoff run to go with a 37 point outing in the semifinals.

Last season at Brewster, Thompson put up 13 games with at least 15 points in guiding the Bobcats to a No. 5 national ranking and a 29-6 record. Thompson racked up 29, 21 and 18 point performances in three consecutive games, and his team-high 25 points in the NEPSAC Title game nearly gave Brewster the conference crown.

“The biggest asset Tristan brings to the game is that he is a scorer,” said Brewster head coach Jason Smith. “He knows how to get to the free throw line, and he has the work ethic to compete at the highest level. He is a big-time scorer, and he can help lead the Mean Green back to the NCAA Tournament.”

Thompson joins Ryan McCoy (G, 6-0, 160, Midland JC) and Adam McCoy (G, 6-4, 190, Mesa CC) as the Mean Green newcomers for 2007-08.

North Texas, the 2007 Sun Belt Conference Champion, is coming off the best season in school history, which included a program-best 23 wins and its second trip to the NCAA Tournament.

I am so excited about this next season.. I wish October would hurry up... We will have Denis, Thompson, McCoy, McCoy, Bell, Williams, and Wooden reeking havoc all over the court. Most of our new guys have been billed as big time scorers... should be an exciting upcoming season with lots of scoring action from all over the court....

Edited by chrisfisher

Guest GrayEagleOne

Not to be picking on chris but I hope that we are wreaking havoc next year. If there were such a word as "reeking' it would mean stinking up the joint (assuming it is a derivative of reek).

Not to be picking on chris but I hope that we are wreaking havoc next year. If there were such a word as "reeking' it would mean stinking up the joint (assuming it is a derivative of reek).

hehe... that is pretty funny... I have to say my noodle is fried.... end of the semester...