Collin Mangrum And Tristan Thompson

I mentioned this in a previous thread...but I feel it needs to be re-hatched considering the signing of Tristan Thompson. In a 3 guard system, you ideally have five contributors in your guard rotation...2 capable point guards and 3 wing players. Last year Bell and Sturns(sigh) ran the point and Young, Watson and Davis were your wings. Mangrum and Edwards played sparingly and Edwards left to find PT elsewhere. Next year, Bell and R. McCoy will play the one with Dennis, A. McCoy and Sturns on the wing. Thompson and Mangrum again will be the odd men out. The following year it will be R. McCoy and a new point, with the wings manned by Dennis, A. McCoy and Thompson.

Players leave programs after 2 seasons of limited PT unless they can see their next 2 seasons as being showcase years...Edwards saw he wasn't going to factor into the plans so he bolted. Next year Mangrum may well do the same. I never saw Mangrum as a star here...rather a glue guy like Rich Young or Kenneth Mangrum (no relation...come on...thats funny)...a guy who can really help you win. And I'm not posting this because I'm a white 2 guard and have an affinity for others of my kind...my concern is with the player turnover here. We already bank heavilly on JUCO's...if our freshman keep bolting as well I think we have a serious problem. I highly doubt Thompson would take a redshirt which would help the problem.

Also, if Mangrum does stay...and never works into the guard rotation then you spent a scholarship on a guy who will average 2 points for four years.

I don't want to be taken as critical of Thompson...I was high on him when he was first mentioned...I like prep kids and Brewsters has put out some good ones...I think my major concern is how the scholarships are being distributed...it seems the length of Johnny's foresight is the next season rather than the next 2 or 3. I mentioned before what I viewed an ideal recruiting class as...and this just isn't shaping up as it. These are good players...some of the best JJ's ran through here...but even if you find the reincarnation of Chris Davis you cant win with 12 Chris Davis's...especially if ten of them will only be here for 2 years.

:D Now...if Sturns doesnt have a scholarship...or if he does and its at SFA...then this is moot and I like this class a lot more. Mangrum plays your reserve wing this season with Thompson working in every once in a while...things shape up much better for continuity in the future.

I can tie Sturns bashing into anything...I rule!

I mentioned this in a previous thread...but I feel it needs to be re-hatched considering the signing of Tristan Thompson. In a 3 guard system, you ideally have five contributors in your guard rotation...2 capable point guards and 3 wing players. Last year Bell and Sturns(sigh) ran the point and Young, Watson and Davis were your wings. Mangrum and Edwards played sparingly and Edwards left to find PT elsewhere. Next year, Bell and R. McCoy will play the one with Dennis, A. McCoy and Sturns on the wing. Thompson and Mangrum again will be the odd men out. The following year it will be R. McCoy and a new point, with the wings manned by Dennis, A. McCoy and Thompson.

Players leave programs after 2 seasons of limited PT unless they can see their next 2 seasons as being showcase years...Edwards saw he wasn't going to factor into the plans so he bolted. Next year Mangrum may well do the same. I never saw Mangrum as a star here...rather a glue guy like Rich Young or Kenneth Mangrum (no relation...come on...thats funny)...a guy who can really help you win. And I'm not posting this because I'm a white 2 guard and have an affinity for others of my kind...my concern is with the player turnover here. We already bank heavilly on JUCO's...if our freshman keep bolting as well I think we have a serious problem. I highly doubt Thompson would take a redshirt which would help the problem.

Also, if Mangrum does stay...and never works into the guard rotation then you spent a scholarship on a guy who will average 2 points for four years.

I don't want to be taken as critical of Thompson...I was high on him when he was first mentioned...I like prep kids and Brewsters has put out some good ones...I think my major concern is how the scholarships are being distributed...it seems the length of Johnny's foresight is the next season rather than the next 2 or 3. I mentioned before what I viewed an ideal recruiting class as...and this just isn't shaping up as it. These are good players...some of the best JJ's ran through here...but even if you find the reincarnation of Chris Davis you cant win with 12 Chris Davis's...especially if ten of them will only be here for 2 years.

:D Now...if Sturns doesnt have a scholarship...or if he does and its at SFA...then this is moot and I like this class a lot more. Mangrum plays your reserve wing this season with Thompson working in every once in a while...things shape up much better for continuity in the future.

I can tie Sturns bashing into anything...I rule!

Of course I've always thought of Mangrum as a natural two guard, but do you see any chance at all that he could develop into a point over the next couple of years? It might solve some of our potential PT problems if he could back up McCoy as a Junior and take over the point as a Senior.

Of course I've always thought of Mangrum as a natural two guard, but do you see any chance at all that he could develop into a point over the next couple of years? It might solve some of our potential PT problems if he could back up McCoy as a Junior and take over the point as a Senior.

From what I've seen...I don't think theres any way of this happening. It would take a lot of work to get him D-1 point guard capable at the expense of him refining his strengths. Also, its just not natural...he could put in the work and run an offense, but there would always be a better option out there and you stuck with Mangrum simply because you didn't want to be wrong on a kid.

If Sturns can get playing time at the point, then Mangrum will be a star. Sturns can't dribble to save his life, He can't find an open man under the basket and he throws the ball away 6 of 10 times he gets it past half court. At least Mangrum isn't a turnover waiting to happen. Again I'm not sold on Mangrum, but I like his upside more than Sturns.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't see Sturns as a point guard. In 2005-06, he was our best scorer per minute played (615). He also led in free throw percentage (81.3%). He is likely the best at creating his shots. He needs to be on the wing to be effective; we all saw what happened against Memphis when he was at point.

A former coach said that Sturns has more talent than anyone on the team but he is a head case. He should be the star of this team next year IF he becomes a team player and plays under control.

To me, the mystery signing was Adam McCoy. Getting Ryan McCoy at point with Bell is fine. So should Thompson be a great sign. I'm with Censored on this one...it seems as if they've given up on Mangrum. The 2 and 3 now would seem to be Sturns and Dennis or Thompson. The leading substitute after those three now appears to be Adam McCoy, leaving Mangrum with 3/4 minutes a game.