Not Football Related But

GMoney

Well, the blame lies solely on the psychopath that did this.

And whether this is "the time" to discuss gun control or not, the debate is already started. European press is already blaming Charleton Heston.

There are two reasons the founders put in the 2nd Amendment. To give citizens the right to defend their property and lives, and to ensure government is kept in check.

No gun control law would have kept this guy from killing these people, as it is now known he bought his gun months earlier. But armed citizens could have put him down quickly... not to mention the value of deterrence when one knows there are armed and responsible citizens about.

Well, the blame lies solely on the psychopath that did this.

And whether this is "the time" to discuss gun control or not, the debate is already started. European press is already blaming Charleton Heston.

There are two reasons the founders put in the 2nd Amendment. To give citizens the right to defend their property and lives, and to ensure government is kept in check.

No gun control law would have kept this guy from killing these people, as it is now known he bought his gun months earlier. But armed citizens could have put him down quickly... not to mention the value of deterrence when one knows there are armed and responsible citizens about.

Just FYI Va Tech is a designated Gun Free Zone, a bill failed to pass in 05 or 06 to allow concealed guns.

The blame for this tragedy is soley on this POS crazy man, who had no concience. I'm just thankful that this POS was a coward and killed himself rather than be caught alive and survived off the taxpayers for decades.

When did we (my generation) become so emotionally fragile?

It's not simply your generation but society today in the U.S. in that we pamper so much we end up preventing kids from ever having to deal with true reality. This is one of my gripes about our schools. Children are no longer allowed to be "shamed". They don't know what shame is. "Don't shame the child, don't shame the child". Society(school, home etc) teaches them it's a perfect world, that instead of being told they may not be good at something, to try something else, that they can be anything and no matter what they do, it's someone else's fault if they fail. Reality is, you sink, or you swim and earn your keep because no one else is going to do it for you. That it's ok to fail, you are going to fail at times but just don't lose the opportunity to learn from it and come back stronger. I remind my kids every week.."Why do we fall down? So we can get back up, THAT'S WHY!!!!". And I like the "Sink or Swim" philosphy. This is where I disagree with the "No child left behind" philosophy in education. Why not? Why not leave their ass behind? If at the age of 16 they don't want to follow the rules, they don't want to listen in the classroom, regardless if they have parents at home or not, they do know what is right or wrong in school by age 16, then why not leave their ass, behind. Let them do what many of our parents HAD to do....GET OUT AND GET A JOB. See what it's like to have to work to survive. Why let them stay in class and take up a teachers' first 10 to 15 minutes of the 55 minute class time trying to get them on task, ruining everyone else's chance to learn, when they don't want to in the first place? As early as back in the middle 80's a district could expell a kid, kick them out and let them go somewhere else. Today it's not allowed.

One of the best examples of what I'm talking about is displayed EVERY year at the start of American Idol. Remember the first few weeks where thousands are shown auditioning. Over and over again there will be the kid that comes in and can't carry a tune in a five handle suitcase and when the reality hits them by way of the judges telling them they suck, they fall apart. They go on and on telling the judges that they are too, good, that their friends listen to them and tell them how good they are, that their families(mom and dad) have told them for years how good they are blah blah blah and they fall apart as they go out the door to the comfort of mama, who then gets furious that Simon hurt her little girls(21years old) feelings by telling her the truth?

Rick

It's not simply your generation but society today in the U.S. in that we pamper so much we end up preventing kids from ever having to deal with true reality. This is one of my gripes about our schools. Children are no longer allowed to be "shamed". They don't know what shame is. "Don't shame the child, don't shame the child". Society(school, home etc) teaches them it's a perfect world, that instead of being told they may not be good at something, to try something else, that they can be anything and no matter what they do, it's someone else's fault if they fail. Reality is, you sink, or you swim and earn your keep because no one else is going to do it for you. That it's ok to fail, you are going to fail at times but just don't lose the opportunity to learn from it and come back stronger. I remind my kids every week.."Why do we fall down? So we can get back up, THAT'S WHY!!!!". And I like the "Sink or Swim" philosphy. This is where I disagree with the "No child left behind" philosophy in education. Why not? Why not leave their ass behind? If at the age of 16 they don't want to follow the rules, they don't want to listen in the classroom, regardless if they have parents at home or not, they do know what is right or wrong in school by age 16, then why not leave their ass, behind. Let them do what many of our parents HAD to do....GET OUT AND GET A JOB. See what it's like to have to work to survive. Why let them stay in class and take up a teachers' first 10 to 15 minutes of the 55 minute class time trying to get them on task, ruining everyone else's chance to learn, when they don't want to in the first place? As early as back in the middle 80's a district could expell a kid, kick them out and let them go somewhere else. Today it's not allowed.

One of the best examples of what I'm talking about is displayed EVERY year at the start of American Idol. Remember the first few weeks where thousands are shown auditioning. Over and over again there will be the kid that comes in and can't carry a tune in a five handle suitcase and when the reality hits them by way of the judges telling them they suck, they fall apart. They go on and on telling the judges that they are too, good, that their friends listen to them and tell them how good they are, that their families(mom and dad) have told them for years how good they are blah blah blah and they fall apart as they go out the door to the comfort of mama, who then gets furious that Simon hurt her little girls(21years old) feelings by telling her the truth?

Rick

American Idol as a microcosm of America's ills...sad but true.