Game Day Shirts

ShopMeanGreen

I would be willing to offer game day shirts for each home football game and SMU. What about a contest to design the shirt for each game. The contest winner would get 6 free shirts, size of your choosing. The shirts must be approved by the CLC and both universities involved (CLC/University requirement for licensing). The shirts can be for sale at each football game and whenever I can get them out there. I can get them out for about $10 each. I reserve the right to scrap the project if I get a boat load of WKRP from anyone involved.

I would be willing to offer game day shirts for each home football game and SMU. What about a contest to design the shirt for each game. The contest winner would get 6 free shirts, size of your choosing. The shirts must be approved by the CLC and both universities involved (CLC/University requirement for licensing). The shirts can be for sale at each football game and whenever I can get them out there. I can get them out for about $10 each. I reserve the right to scrap the project if I get a boat load of WKRP from anyone involved.

Universities pay CLC to govern the use of the name and appropriate image. It would be difficult to get the MUTS to check off on a shirt. Why even ask them?

If the schools involved are represented by the CLC then it has to be done this way. The shirts will have to be respectful to the opposing schools. I don't know if the "Sink Navy" shirt will be licensed or not but I know the Army approved the "Sink Army" stuff on the Navy website. I think there is a lot of confusion about how things a suppose to be done. If the shirt is sold to the public, no matter who is selling, UNT or otherwise it must go through CLC and UNT. UNT receives royalties from the sale and of cource CLC gets a cut. Several things happen when shirts are done on the "black market": UNT has no control over who is doing what with it's name, UNT doesn't get any money from the sales, retailers (like myself) lose sales because people a buying and wearing unlicensed stuff, which cuts into the profit margin which in turn decreases the amount of product I can offer for sale and then theres not as much correct MEAN GREEN color available. Seems trivial but does truely work that way. I tried to explain the same thing to the Athletic Dept when they contracted with a company that doesn't offer the correct color that they themselves said they wanted. The next part of the puzzle for me is that I have been trying to build something with this for the past 3 years and have spent an enormous amount of time and money so I can't risk losing the CLC license over this. It is a complicated situation but to have a top quality program you have to follow all of the rules. Yes, I am a huge nerd and chicken, always have been always will be.

Since we're on the topic of CLC ... is the North Texas battle flag really licensed by the university with CLC? I only ask cause Union Bookstore has the flag for something like $42 and I know exactly who to go to to get it for half that.

To me, the CLC encourages black market items cause they inflate costs. $45 for a simple looking polo shirt with a little embroidered logo? Old Navy has polos for under $20. Given the base cost, are you telling me it costs $25 to put the name of North Texas on a polo shirt?

Since we're on the topic of CLC ... is the North Texas battle flag really licensed by the university with CLC? I only ask cause Union Bookstore has the flag for something like $42 and I know exactly who to go to to get it for half that.

To me, the CLC encourages black market items cause they inflate costs. $45 for a simple looking polo shirt with a little embroidered logo? Old Navy has polos for under $20. Given the base cost, are you telling me it costs $25 to put the name of North Texas on a polo shirt?

I think the flag must be. I found the same flag in Lubbock with a CLC logo on it. I asked the guy and he said "yea that's the North Texas flag" It does not appear on their art slick anywhere. If it doesn't say North Texas, Mean Green etc I think it's fair game. THAT IS ONLY MY OPINION BASED ON HOW I UNDERSTAND THE LAW AND I AM NOT A LAWYER. There are several factors to the price of logoed spirit wear. I am giving away trade secrets but I'm a Doctor for money so I don't really care. There is almost always several middle men in the process. ie Hanes makes a shirt and sells it to a distributor... the distributor sells it to a wholeseller (usually the person that puts the logo on it or pays someone to do it) they pay the CLC royalties (which is less than sales tax). The wholeseller sells to the spirit shop, bookstore, Wal Mart etc then they sell it to you. The standard makup up for apperal is somewhere between 30-50%. SO..after going through several hands the cost goes way up. Honestly, CLC has the least to do with the final cost. I have looked into the wholesale market but it is very difficult to keep the prices low enough for the retailer to make a profit and keep the price down for the consumer. On a side note if you are producing something to use yourself all of the CLC/UNT stuff doen't count, only if you sell it.

Whoever made the flag either sent it to CLC/UNT for approval and they approved it even though they don't have a trademark on it or they simply added the CLC Hologram to make it look more official and charge more money. (Don't get me wrong not everyone is perfectly honest with the price thing) I have never seen anything from CLC or UNT that indicated that the flag is trademarked.

Great idea!

Silver,

The school did this a few years back and sold them at the First game pep rally. It was on a black shirt.

And they only did it once? :huh:

Besides shirts, the design would be great to embrodier onto a black leather jacket. As a MGC member, I'd buy one of those before I'd buy one of those parkas that they sell to MGC members.

Speaking of GREEN game day shirts...the "revised" version of the SINK NAVY shirt is "in stock" through the UNT Exes office...I now have 7 of them...passing them out to friends who I know will be going to the game. Call the Exes office NOW and order your shirt...there was plenty of "stuff" said about the shirt on this message board, and the Exes listened to everyone's concerns (not sure I agreed with the concerns, but that is a different matter all together, isn't it?) and changed the shirt. Now it's time to support the Exes efforts...besides...did you know that 100% of the proceeds after costs go to scholarships for UNT students???? That's doing something positive...helping boost spirit AND adding dollars to needed scholarship coffers...now, what are you going to do about it? Call and buy your shirt now...they are $12.00.

Join the Exes while you are at it! They are doing great things for UNT...the Denton Exes scholarship auction raised over $20,000 this year for scholarships. Wow, they need and deserve our support. BUY THE T-Shirts! P..L..E..A..S..E and T..H..A..N..K Y..O..U...

Don't know if the Exes will mail out the revised "Sink Navy" shirt or not....probably would if you would allow them to add for "postage and handling"...give them a call and ask. No "harm no foull"...can't hurt to ask. I hear they will be available for purchase from the Exes at the Tailgating area prior to home games up to (and including) the Navy game "as long as supplies last" as they say...."get 'em while they are hot"!

Does anyone know if they will have the Navy t-shirts available at the spring game? Or if the bookstore might be there selling t-shirts? We need to add some new t-shirts to our collection. We thought we might come up early and go to the bookstore or to Voertmanns before the game next Sunday if there won't be any available at the game. I'm especially looking for an alumni shirt in the new color with some of the new branding.

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

It is my understanding that the Denton Exes will try to have shirts for sales at the Spring game...but they might run into a "cahllenge" getting permission to sell the Navy T-Shirts at the game. Why worry about it? Call the Exes and order yours now and it will be ready for you to "grab" at the Exes office across from Fouts. They are "WAY COOL". I have purchased seven so far!